"don't be evil"

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
That was Google's motto in the early days, and some have mocked Google for it in light of the techno giant they've become.

However I've recently spotted something far more sinister (ok I'm being melodramatic with that term, I admit it) than anything Google has ever done. It's Mashable and the recent trend they've gone with to drive clicks. Some examples from just the last few weeks:

Woman crying after receiving a puppy, articles about old flames reuniting, seniors getting walked home by a nice boy etc

Don't get me wrong, these are all nice things. It's not the events that bother me it's that mashable is clearly using the "awww" factor in them to generate clicks = ad revenue. And they're usually linked to Youtube vids for more ad revenue. Some might accuse me of being cynical. I'm ok with that as long as my accusers are ok with being called naive in response ;) I'm sure Mashable's editors simply just wish to make the internet a happier place with heartwarming human interest stories.

Right? :D

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
That was Google's motto in the early days, and some have mocked Google for it in light of the techno giant they've become.

However I've recently spotted something far more sinister (ok I'm being melodramatic with that term, I admit it) than anything Google has ever done. It's Mashable and the recent trend they've gone with to drive clicks. Some examples from just the last few weeks:

Woman crying after receiving a puppy, articles about old flames reuniting, seniors getting walked home by a nice boy etc

Don't get me wrong, these are all nice things. It's not the events that bother me it's that mashable is clearly using the "awww" factor in them to generate clicks = ad revenue. And they're usually linked to Youtube vids for more ad revenue. Some might accuse me of being cynical. I'm ok with that as long as my accusers are ok with being called naive in response ;) I'm sure Mashable's editors simply just wish to make the internet a happier place with heartwarming human interest stories.

Right? :D

and you just clickbaited me.

Kylbit

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I hate those too. There are extensions to hide ads, but click bait should be illegal. There should be a clearly defined label saying "AD"

Lethegames

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
That trend that popped up everywhere with news articles saying "this person could not believe what he saw when he opened the box, click here to see" was driving me mad, I'm glad it's gone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang