Kids that have iPads / iPhones etc.

IlluminAppti

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I worked in retail over Christmas.

In the few weeks that I was working, I met so many parents that talked to me about the devices that their kids have.

I honestly couldn't believe the stuff that they were buying for their children.

The craziest was; A 3-year old with an iPad and a 5-year old with an iPhone.

I'm not a parent and I'm not really looking to be one (anytime soon). But, part of me did wonder if maybe I had an old-fashioned outlook on this. Or whether the thought of children playing with these devices was borderline mental. As I'm a games designer and the prices of iPhones/iPads make my eyes water at times. To think that parents are buying them and giving them to their kids is crazy.

Also, before anyone mentions about how these devices help children with autism. The parents made it quite clear that the devices were just for their kids to "mess about with". They weren't used for any educational needs.

Just wondering what other people think about this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My kids don't have their own devices, but we do have a couple of old devices that we let them play with. They love it and it actually does have some educational value in a lot of the kid's games. I don't think I'd go buy my toddler a $1000 device just to tool around on, but I don't see a problem with them having the technology itself. My kids get to play with the devices my wife and I no longer use, so it works out.

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
As an educator, parent and grandparent, the majority of these parents are purchasing these items for 2 reasons:
1. To keep up with the Jones', I don't know which Jones started it but one did.
2. It's easier to keep their kids quiet a d behaving. Forget developing fine motor skills and knowing and liking how to color, in or out of the lines.

There are some good educational programs that of used in MODERATION and not as a babysitter that are useful.

You are not the only one who thinks this is mental.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK.. I got two youngin's.... 7 (nearly 8) and 5.... We have our share of devices about the house. Me and the wife have phones, we have a Nexus 7 2012 that is pretty much my daughter's tablet. I also have given her my old Galaxy Stellar as a WiFi device (soon to be replaced with a recently purchased 1st gen Moto G).

They also each got 3DSs from grandma last Xmas.

But I am certainly not dropping the cash to put something new in their hands like an iPhone or iPad in their hands though... what they got is MORE than enough... and certainly enough to keep them occupied. But hey, if people have the cash to blow on giving their 3 year old an iPad, whatever.. it's their money to waste.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
For toddlers I'd rather buy them toddler toys to increase their motor skills. But for kids 6+ I think they're fine, no different than playing video games.

I have a 7 year old sister, who I just bought an iPad Mini 2, $250 from Best Buy. I bought about $50 worth of educational games and story books for her. It's a great way to sneak in some learning disguised as fun.

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
FYI. Six to 8 year old children still need to develop motor skills. . Also, screens are not good for eye teaming and can negatively impact reading.

Gremmward

May 2, 2014
Visit site
We have 2 kids, our daughter is in college and pays for her own stuff now, but when she was younger (12 to 14) she had a flip phone for texting her friends. When she got into high school we got her a Droid Incredible. Then she moved on to an iPhone, cuz that's what she wanted... And still uses all Apple products. Paid for by herself. But our son, who is 10 wants a phone... But he won't get one till he is in high school. Right now he has a hand me down Nexus 7 2012. And a chromebook that he can use for some school stuff. Although he is limited to his time in those devices. All depends on his grades, and if he did all his chores.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I remember back in the day, when I started High School in the UK aged 11 my Mum got me a phone card that I could use in a Phonebox lol. It wasn't until I was about 13 that I got my first phone - Nokia 3210, brilliant device.

I have a 5 year old Nephew, who has a you tube channel, he knows more about Iphones than his Gran & Mum do. It's mental.

My wife is 6 months pregnant, I don't know what age my Son will be before he gets a phone or a tablet, but at the same time I don't want him being left out if all his friends have one. I've watched my Nephew play on the Ipad - he play's mind craft and some educational games, but also searches you tube most evenings for random stuff. His Mum caught him watching an episode of Family Guy the other day! Kids are way more technically advanced these days.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My dad gave me a flip phone when I was in high school -- Then the iPhone came out (the 3G) and I wanted it.. he told me to get my own plan so I did. Since then it is history haha.

vivaleces

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
The good thing is that kids learn REALLY quick from apps. For example math, colours etc. But like with everything - you should use it within reason. It's not a babysitter!

Dajun Chou

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
There are 2 ipads in my uncle's home and my 5-year-old cousin plays with them all the time. My uncle also bought her books but she is so preoccupied with ipad and seldom reads books.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife hates technology and doesn't have any aptitude for learning or understanding. Anyways, I've had this discussion with her and I've said that if the kids trade TV time for interacting with her kindle that's fine by me. I want my children to have the aptitude to learn and adapt with technology. I've seen quite a few people come and go at my place of work because their learning curve with technology was so large.

We have a contractor who uses his iPad to interface with his desktop and servers so that he can handle all administration and contracting paperwork while reviewing all sites in the field simultaneously. It also helps bridge the gap between timelines since he can handle everything instantly and back it up with photos or facetime. That company used to have 4 to 5 field superintendents at all times. He replaced them all and it's tough finding others that can work as efficiently. They attempted to move him elsewhere and train a new body for that position and it's been tough.

There's a large gap in the workforce right now between those who have the aptitude to utilize technology in the work place and those who don't. It's a huge stumbling block for every size company.

I don't endorse the idea of technology watching my kids but that's been an argument since TV's came out. The same work required today wasn't what our parents imagined or attempted to prepare us for as children. The same is true for our own. I like to try and stay ahead of the academic curve and teach my kids how these things become tools.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was shocked when my 3 and 5 year old nephews knew how to operate my 6 Plus. They asked to see it, and before I knew it, they were playing games and on YouTube looking at funny videos. I was simply amazed that they knew how to operate it...only to find out later from my sister, she recently bought them an iPad Mini. Lol. Smh. But, they love the educational games and YouTube for Kids.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You really have to integrate the whole cell phone, iPad, computer into kids lives today. They need to be on top of what the rest of the world is doing. We need the nerds in society to stay a step ahead when it comes to technology. If they would rather play baseball or build their own swing set from scratch, we need them too. I wouldn't force kids to walk around with a phone or iPad but if that's where they gravitate towards, they should go there.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had my own BlackBerry since I was 11. I'm not spoiled and having a device never harmed me in any way. I don't see the problem with kids having phones.

MYNAMESALEX

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You really have to integrate the whole cell phone, iPad, computer into kids lives today. They need to be on top of what the rest of the world is doing. We need the nerds in society to stay a step ahead when it comes to technology. If they would rather play baseball or build their own swing set from scratch, we need them too. I wouldn't force kids to walk around with a phone or iPad but if that's where they gravitate towards, they should go there.
My step mom hated all technology or computers. Despite my complete fascination with them I was shunned away and made to go outside or play board games or something else uninteresting to me. My childhood was ridiculously boring because everything nerdy I fell in love with was either banned outright or I wasn't allowed to do for more than an hour or two a week.

It wasn't until I turned 19 and was living on my own that I finally got my own computer, and since then I have taught myself tons. I'm working on getting into Linux administration, but I'm 26 now, so just think what would be if I was encouraged at a young age and not taught that screens are evil. Maybe then I would have actually had some passion and wouldn't have dropped out of high school. At 22 I started caring about learning again and finished my GED (high school equivalent) in college.

Sounds pretty extreme I know, and I'm not blaming my folks for my decisions I know better than that. But I had no interests to cultivate (because they were all banned), and no passion in life. It's no surprise looking back that I ended up an alcoholic at 17 who only cared about going out with my friends, until eventually my parents didn't know what to do with me and kicked me out after a couple months of that. Thankfully I was a pretty smart kid and got myself on the right track. But no doubt about it, I did that on my own.

Sent from my phablet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
My step mom hated all technology or computers. Despite my complete fascination with them I was shunned away and made to go outside or play board games or something else uninteresting to me. My childhood was ridiculously boring because everything nerdy I fell in love with was either banned outright or I wasn't allowed to do for more than an hour or two a week.

It wasn't until I turned 19 and was living on my own that I finally got my own computer, and since then I have taught myself tons. I'm working on getting into Linux administration, but I'm 26 now, so just think what would be if I was encouraged at a young age and not taught that screens are evil. Maybe then I would have actually had some passion and wouldn't have dropped out of high school. At 22 I started caring about learning again and finished my GED (high school equivalent) in college.

Sounds pretty extreme I know, and I'm not blaming my folks for my decisions I know better than that. But I had no interests to cultivate (because they were all banned), and no passion in life. It's no surprise looking back that I ended up an alcoholic at 17 who only cared about going out with my friends, until eventually my parents didn't know what to do with me and kicked me out after a couple months of that. Thankfully I was a pretty smart kid and got myself on the right track. But no doubt about it, I did that on my own.

I know where you are coming from. Many people who were adults when technology ramped up did not want anything to do with it or their kids learning all of what they considered, "useless stuff". My father was a pro radio and T.V. sports commentator throughout the 60s and 70s and he was not happy that I was totally non-competitive and absolutely hated all sports. He would force me to participate in sports and insisted I go with him to his sports events. That lasted until I was a teenager. I was a classical musician by then and he thought that was pretty silly when I had a natural talent for several sports and so many sports opportunities available. If computers and the whole tech scene would have been available in the late 60's and 70's I would have been into it. You have to let your kids embrace what they love and be who they are whether it's sports or technology or whatever.

MYNAMESALEX

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I know where you are coming from. Many people who were adults when technology ramped up did not want anything to do with it or their kids learning all of what they considered, "useless stuff". My father was a pro radio and T.V. sports commentator throughout the 60s and 70s and he was not happy that I was totally non-competitive and absolutely hated all sports. He would force me to participate in sports and insisted I go with him to his sports events. That lasted until I was a teenager. I was a classical musician by then and he thought that was pretty silly when I had a natural talent for several sports and so many sports opportunities available. If computers and the whole tech scene would have been available in the late 60's and 70's I would have been into it. You have to let your kids embrace what they love and be who they are whether it's sports or technology or whatever.
Power to the oofa. Let us wave our nerd flags high and proud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463