Obsessing over battery...

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Why do we, in general, find it so difficult to just use our devices and charge them as needed? Random question I know...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why do we, in general, find it so difficult to just use our devices and charge them as needed? Random question I know...

I don't know. I understand when something is running your battery down and you are getting less than what you should be getting. I don't understand the shutting off everything to get 45 mins extra on a normal day.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I must be missing something here - shutting off 45 minutes?

I don't obsess over my battery - when it gets down around 40% I charge it to 100%. (And I've just gotten a really neat battery bank that I'll be reviewing in a couple of weeks, after I do my best to blow it up, so now I really - what's the exact opposite of obsess? - about my battery, because I have at least 2 full charges hanging from my belt loop.)

Or are you referring to the 95% of people who think using a complex device like a computer or a cellphone should be as simple as using a pencil - if the point doesn't break, it works? That's called "keeping up with the times" and most people have a problem doing it. A cellphone isn't a pencil - you have to use real (as opposed to artificial) intelligence to know when to charge your phone's battery and how far you can push it. And, if you don't want to learn, you have to at least read the instructions (on places like this forum) and follow them. (My father never got used to driving an automatic transmission - to him, driving and shifting were part of the same operation. My mother never got the spatial relationship between the horizontal movement of the mouse and the vertical movement of the mouse cursor. Her parents had problems with just putting a penny into the gas light to get light - no kerosene, no trimming the wick.) The grandchildren of those still in their 20s will wonder why we have a problem with the computer-brain interface they take for granted.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I understand when something is running your battery down and you are getting less than what you should be getting. I don't understand the shutting off everything to get 45 mins extra on a normal day.

That and I find myself using my Nexus for a bit then two finger swiping down to see the percentage etc. It becomes quite an obsession and I don't always remember this practice through my years of owning cell phones

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I must be missing something here - shutting off 45 minutes?

I don't obsess over my battery - when it gets down around 40% I charge it to 100%. (And I've just gotten a really neat battery bank that I'll be reviewing in a couple of weeks, after I do my best to blow it up, so now I really - what's the exact opposite of obsess? - about my battery, because I have at least 2 full charges hanging from my belt loop.)

Or are you referring to the 95% of people who think using a complex device like a computer or a cellphone should be as simple as using a pencil - if the point doesn't break, it works? That's called "keeping up with the times" and most people have a problem doing it. A cellphone isn't a pencil - you have to use real (as opposed to artificial) intelligence to know when to charge your phone's battery and how far you can push it. And, if you don't want to learn, you have to at least read the instructions (on places like this forum) and follow them. (My father never got used to driving an automatic transmission - to him, driving and shifting were part of the same operation. My mother never got the spatial relationship between the horizontal movement of the mouse and the vertical movement of the mouse cursor. Her parents had problems with just putting a penny into the gas light to get light - no kerosene, no trimming the wick.) The grandchildren of those still in their 20s will wonder why we have a problem with the computer-brain interface they take for granted.

Making a point. Some will turn off good features and obsess for hours to squeeze out an extra 45 minutes battery time than if they had just run their phone like they like.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That and I find myself using my Nexus for a bit then two finger swiping down to see the percentage etc. It becomes quite an obsession and I don't always remember this practice through my years of owning cell phones

Once mine is doing like I want it, I ignore mine, unless I suddenly notice a weird, major amount of battery use.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am curious if part of the issue is linked to the processors. Essentially the engine for phones. The processors are getting more powerful, but the battery capacity is roughly the same. So not too Mich different from the engines in cars getting more and more cylinders, but we still have the same 10 gallon fuel tank from a few years ago.

From the ZenFone 2.
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I know a part of it might just be forums like these and constant comparison to the next guy.

But comparison to the next person can't be a big thing. We all use different apps, even the same apps, different ways and use our phones different ways.

Comparing to the next person can be a place to start, but can't be the major part of it.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
But comparison to the next person can't be a big thing. We all use different apps, even the same apps, different ways and use our phones different ways.

Comparing to the next person can be a place to start, but can't be the major part of it.

But I'm sure many think "same phone, same battery life" when it's not quite that simple.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But I'm sure many think "same phone, same battery life" when it's not quite that simple.
Oh yeah, many do that for sure. That is generally when they get frustrated. They will be running a whole lot more and then blame the phone because their battery isn't the same as someone running less and a light user.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I always said it'd be nice if there was some kinda thermal cell in phones that took the heat from your phone/battery heating up as it's being used and as such you get some power back, or at least it slowed down battery drain say by 1/5 or so.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I plug in as needed and call it a day. I only worry when out and about for very extended periods of time... And then I usually just shut off mobile data and turn the minor power save on and that does the trick.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I plug in as needed and call it a day. I only worry when out and about for very extended periods of time... And then I usually just shut off mobile data and turn the minor power save on and that does the trick.
I take my Seidio charging vault with me if I know I won't be near a charger.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The reason why I obsess over my battery is that in the main they're non-removeable.

I never had such thoughts with my pre-Android Nokia phones as the batteries were all removeable and I ALWAYS carried a spare.

People tend to claim that the reason manufacturers produce sealed units is for a consumer design aesthetic but I disagree: they're just cheaper to make.

My last three Nokia phones were primarily an all metal build and the battery compartment was accessed by an easily removeable section on the back. This didn't compromise the actual design of the phone, and with Nokia's legendary build quality they were rock solid. I've never been over keen on LG or Samsung phones so I guess I'm just stuck with it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have to obsess. We are having planned blackouts down here in South Africa, so you want your battery long as possible. My Note 4 and iPad 4 do a great job of this but I still have a 6000mAh power bank, just in case, usually keep it in my work bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007