Question about 1 year Contracts (Verizon)

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have a question. My 2 year contract is up in May. If I get an Android on a ONE year plan, am I paying more on the phone itself or is it my montly payments that will be more???

I heard that your paying more when doing 1 year so I wanted to know which I'm paying more on.

Thanks Forum,
Allen.

TinGodz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You pay more for the phone. The plan rates remain the same. The subsidy for the contract-price phone is just a little less than it would be if you had signed for two years.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
You pay more for the phone. The plan rates remain the same. The subsidy for the contract-price phone is just a little less than it would be if you had signed for two years.

Sweet, thank you. I'm thinking of doing 1 year with the Thunderbolt and then upgrade to something even newer (hopefully dual core) by that time. Doing a lot of research and thinking on what I want to do.

TinGodz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, thank you. I'm thinking of doing 1 year with the Thunderbolt and then upgrade to something even newer (hopefully dual core) by that time. Doing a lot of research and thinking on what I want to do.

No problem. I'll more than likely end up doing the same thing myself. However I may go with the LG Revolution over the Bolt unless the Revo takes forever to come out.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I'll more than likely end up doing the same thing myself. However I may go with the LG Revolution over the Bolt unless the Revo takes forever to come out.

I can wait longer if I know if HTC is doing Dual Core THIS year, but then it's going to be a little harder staying with this crappy @$$ BB Storm.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a one-year contract in the Summer. I'm eligible for a new device on 3/24. It cost me $270 up front, and I was done with me previous 2-year contract. I definitely recommend a one-year contract. I can probably sell my Incredible for $250-$300 (so says ebay) and use that for a new one-year contract phone again.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you can't do off-contract pricing, I definitely recommend one year contracts as well. You'll pay more up front, but it's a lot better than being locked down for 2 years and, like BSG75 pointed out, you can usually recoup most, if not all of your investment.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
About 2 weeks ago I chatted with a Verizon rep about the Droid X on a 1 yr contract instead of a 2 yr contract. So it's about $70 more on a 1 yr vs a 2 yr contract.

Karlee: This phone is $269.99 after the mail in rebate with a 1 year contract, or you can get a 2 year contract and pay $1.99 more a month for an extended warranty.

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
yeah I definitely advise 1 year contracts if you can afford the extra money for the device you want. A little side note, if you currently have a NE2 (new every 2) or annual upgrade available, you are able to keep and use those. But from the 16th going forward, those options will not be available.

striperhound

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Second phone I've used on a one year plan. I picked up a Droid X Saturday. I'd rather pay a little more up front so I can "try" keep up with the newer technology and features. I say "try" because we're always chasing the future.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
To save some money, most indirect sellers don't charge extra for a phone on a 1-year contract, so says a source of mine. Definitely worth checking out. But then please don't be a **** and go to a Verizon store and ask them to set it all up for you when you just gave your business to the store down the street.. Not cool..
Why the hell would you want a Revo?? :p

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
He might be mistaken. People do two year contract like it's nothing, chances are this guy might not have done a one year contract in months, if not years. When I went to buy my Droid X, the guy at the store didn't even know Verizon offered one year contracts, and he has worked there a few years now.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
No he specifically mentioned that he's been doing a bunch of them over the past year or so because there's always a better device out every 6-8 months now

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Pretty hard to be wrong when I asked him myself. And I think he would know since he works there. As you said, MOST.

I manage a indirect retailer, and we don't offer 1 year contracts. What retailer does he work for? If he can, which I still doubt, his retailer is 1 of the few. So next time instead of saying:

To save some money, most indirect sellers don't charge extra for a phone on a 1-year contract, so says a source of mine.

You should say: "To save some money, IF you can find a indirect seller that does 1-year contracts without a charge, that would be the way to go."

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
He might be mistaken. People do two year contract like it's nothing, chances are this guy might not have done a one year contract in months, if not years. When I went to buy my Droid X, the guy at the store didn't even know Verizon offered one year contracts, and he has worked there a few years now.

Verizon offers 1 yr contracts. There's even a drop-down in the online ordering process when browsing phones. By default it's set to 2 yrs but you can change it to 1 yr and all the prices go up. But not by that much considering you are cutting your contract in half.