Ready to leave the android world

hibobbo

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Please help me stay in the android world. I don't want to leave but I feel history is leaving me no choice.

I have owned a half dozen android phones. I am a fan of the platform however the life cycle of all my phones is the same.

The phone starts off amazing. Then a patch or an update is released and it gets a little less so but still okay. Then comes the patch to fix issues in the last update and boom my phone is basically worthless. Time and time again this happens. Why should I stick with a platform I love but can't count on?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would suggest sticking with Nexus devices, since there is less extraneous manufacturer and carrier stuff to deal with (i.e., heavy skins like TouchWiz and other bloat) that can interact negatively with the base Android code. Nexus devices also receive Android updates more promptly, so you wouldn't be in the position of wondering just when the heck you're getting the promised update.

The Nexus 6 has been somewhat polarizing, given its size and some various hardware issues, but Jerry Hildenbrand still feels it's the best flagship out there right now. The Nexus 5 is still a great phone (mine is 1.5 years old and has absolutely no lag), with the main weak point being its mediocre battery..

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure which phones you have, but that's pretty much the nature of software updates. Older hardware isn't always able to perform as well as the hardware an update was targeted at. But that issue is going to be bigger on lower end phones. If you stick with flagship phones, they'll be fine for the most part

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I would echo Diddy's advice and say get a Nexus. I had the Nexus 5 and recently got the LG G4. I've had three LG devices now, and the Nexus 5 is an LG device but still a Nexus, but it's hands down the best phone I've ever owned. I'm an LG fan so I might be biased. My personal advise, wait for the new Nexus in the fall. I have no doubt you'll love it.

hibobbo

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I have an Galaxy S5 atm. yes I know it isn't the latest and greatest but that shouldn't relegate it to junk.

The nexus tip however is very helpful.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here? What phones do we speak of my Green partner. The past 1.5 years have had a number of Flag ship phones that have future proof all over them. Even though I don't know what phone you have. You get what you pay for in the Android world. I have the LG G4 and couldn't tell you one thing I don't like. The Nexus 6 was my last phone. The only thing I hated was the size. Other than that perfect in every way. Pure Android makes any phone person like a kid in the candy store. I will days this,,, That's with Android- You can make the phone you in so many ways. For me I love to show a person with the same phone my phone. And hear them say " And your phone look didn't than mine?" And that's cause I don't wish to be the same as anyone else. It's my 650.00 dollar phone and I have that right to do so, because I worked for it. Plus with Android being Open Source as it is. Had allowed Android change with the times faster than any other OS. If you check the add-ons to other OS's in the past 5 years. 90% have gotten the idea from Android. I hope you stay with us and find your phone that allows you to be you. #Naptownlove-Colts4life

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Surely some carriers fare better with updates for some devices rhan others.
I have noticed T-Mobile customers are nearly always happy with their devices, and get early updates to boot (on Sammies anyway). But I have no idea what they are like for service, being in the UK.

BTW: Another slip today revealing a revered ambassador is not from this planet.
B. Diddy has had his Nexus 5 for 15 years. We must be way behind their technology.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an Galaxy S5 atm. yes I know it isn't the latest and greatest but that shouldn't relegate it to junk.

This might be part of the problem. Samsung has had a pretty bad record lately of buggy system updates (and I suspect it's partly due to how heavy the TouchWiz skin is, how many extra features Samsung throws in, and how many different carrier versions there are of their various phones).

B. Diddy has had his Nexus 5 for 15 years. We must be way behind their technology.

Hey, I said 1.5 years, one-dot-five!;) But maybe it's like dog-years. 1.5 years for technology is the same as 15 years for humans.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yep, as has been echoed around here, you may be the type who needs a Nexus.

I've had every Galaxy S up until and incl. the S4 and that was recently updated to 5.0.1 and it has been running better than ever; it is faster, smoother and more stable than it was when I got it on launch day in April 2013, so I cannot disagree with you more.

What I do agree with is that some of Samsung's updates were crap, but my S4 is now 2years old and its still running well, I've had my Note 4 since just before international launch (got it a week early), it has had some awesome updates (every update in 4.4.4 was better than the last), and some awful (the 1st 5.0.1 firmware was utter crap), but at the moment with its latest 5.0.1 update it is running like it was in 4.4.4, just smoother.

I guess my point is that its down to optimisation, some updates, in my experience, are crap due to being rushed and then others are great due to more time spent refining them.

Even Nexus users have it bad, if not the worst as they are like 'guinea pigs' for Google, I have read of some terrible issues some have had in the very latest 5.1.1 update, same with iOS, I own an iPad 4 and we have a few iPhones in the house, from 3GS, 4S to 5S, and with each iOS update each has its own problems and I find that the older the iOS device the worse the update is.

You can't totally get away from it.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
^^^ the above poster is 110% accurate. I have known many iPhone 4,4s,5,5s users that have their phones turned to molasses after updates. This is definitely not just an android issue. It affect all phones/devices. Newer update sin variably need faster processors and higher specs to run smoothly. Manufacturers do this in part to force users into upgrading, which is sad.
I have been very fortunate with my LG G3 in that the upgrade to 5.0 was seamless and problem free. I won't update again, as the phone, in its current state is perfect for me.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The question is what platform are you moving to? Windows, with terrible app support? IOs, with all the same problems as Android but no latitude to patch stuff yourself?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's funny, I left Android because of the lack of updates and your want to leave because of the updates your do get. I have always admired the freedom of Android but updates lack of them or bad updates really slow the platform down.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The problem with those of you recommending Nexus to the OP is twofold. First and most obvious is that the gauntlet has been thrown down when it comes to finally having an amazing camera on an android phone. Hint: it's not the Nexus 6.

Secondly, Nexus isn't a guarantee of limited issues. Read Phil's recent article about the Nexus 9 tablet, which he wasn't willing to praise until recently. I've owned several OEM phones that did a better job of hardware quality control and software optimization than Nexus. Which is really sad when you think about delayed updates by OEM's just meaning that you got your update later while the current version was struggling with bugs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem with those of you recommending Nexus to the OP is twofold. First and most obvious is that the gauntlet has been thrown down when it comes to finally having an amazing camera on an android phone. Hint: it's not the Nexus 6.

Secondly, Nexus isn't a guarantee of limited issues. Read Phil's recent article about the Nexus 9 tablet, which he wasn't willing to praise until recently. I've owned several OEM phones that did a better job of hardware quality control and software optimization than Nexus. Which is really sad when you think about delayed updates by OEM's just meaning that you got your update later while the current version was struggling with bugs.

I agree about the issues with the Nexus 9 and the Nexus 6. But the Nexus 5 was and still is a great phone, with few (if any) glitches--and with a very underrated camera. I've taken quite a few spectacular photos with it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why should I stick with a platform I love but can't count on?

I say this without a hint of disrespect or snark.... :)

Leave. Really... leave the platform. You're not beholden to Android or Samsung or LG... they have zero hold on you and your phone buying habits. You obviously have some issues that have got to the point where you are fed up.... so fix them. :)

Go give an iPhone a shot. I mean, what's the harm? Most outlets give you at least a week or two to change your mind, and in that time, you should be able to make a reasonable decision if you are OK living in iOSLand or not. You might like it, or you might find that that's mold on the other side of the fence, not grass. But nothing anyone here can tell you can hold a candle to your own expirience.

I couldn't ever really see myself picking one for every day use, but everyone has their own tastes and needs... I am certainly not going to disparage you for giving one a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs