Question for Top-Tier Android phone users

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, when I make a comment about battery life on the EVO, people tell me "I get 24+ hours out of the stock battery" and when I ask HOW, they say they turn this and that off, which I do as well - and STILL have 12 hours as the most battery life I've ever been able to get.

here's a screen shot

adaysworthofbattery.jpg

NOW, when I say "you're not using the phone!" they're quick to say "Yes I am, I made 2 short phone calls, sent some texts, light web browsing, and use the GPS for about 10 minutes"

So here's the question

WHY?

Why get a top-tier smartphone when you're NOT using top-tier features?

All those things they mention they do, you can do that on the HERO - and best buy had the HERO for only 30 bucks - why spend 200 on an EVO if you're doing the same thing HERO users do?

Why get an EVO, Incredible, Droid X, etc. if you're doing the same thing with it that you can do with a much less expensive phone?

Is it just the childish brag factor that you can say "hey my phone does this" or what?

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
You are asking the same question why are you buying a Porsche when a Toyota Yaris can also get you to the same grocery for lesser bucks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, when I make a comment about battery life on the EVO, people tell me "I get 24+ hours out of the stock battery" and when I ask HOW, they say they turn this and that off, which I do as well - and STILL have 12 hours as the most battery life I've ever been able to get.

here's a screen shot

adaysworthofbattery.jpg

NOW, when I say "you're not using the phone!" they're quick to say "Yes I am, I made 2 short phone calls, sent some texts, light web browsing, and use the GPS for about 10 minutes"

So here's the question

WHY?

Why get a top-tier smartphone when you're NOT using top-tier features?

All those things they mention they do, you can do that on the HERO - and best buy had the HERO for only 30 bucks - why spend 200 on an EVO if you're doing the same thing HERO users do?

Why get an EVO, Incredible, Droid X, etc. if you're doing the same thing with it that you can do with a much less expensive phone?

Is it just the childish brag factor that you can say "hey my phone does this" or what?

Try removing that task killer, they cause more problems then help.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You are asking the same question why are you buying a Porsche when a Toyota Yaris can also get you to the same grocery for lesser bucks.

But these aren't cars, these are phones!

Arty least the porsche will give you special abilities (speed, handling, power, it just does more) and if you use those extras, it's worth it.

Now if you buy an evo but only do hero things, it's pointless!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
As a droid x user, I use my phone to the most of it's capabilities. I, on average get about 14 hours of battery. Sometimes more sometimes less. It all depends on what I am doing. If you turn off data you are basically left with a feature phone and the battery lasts a very long time. I usually don't comment about battery life but I think it is something that people get a little carried away on. Use your phone how you want or need and if the battery gets low just charge it.

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i dont turn anything off anymore and i work at different sites all day so i use my phone for everything and on my nexus s im getting 12+ hours everyday and thats with heavy use

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some Android phones are better than others for bartery life. The Evo and Incredible don't have great battery life. My N1, most of the Motorola's tend to have pretty good battery life. I use my phone quite a bit and get a full days use out of it (N1). Of coarse when I first got it, and was tinkering with it all day long it wouldn't last that long, but normal business/personal use its not an issue.

The only thing I make sure to do is have news feeds, twitter/facebook ect update when I open them. I don't need everything constantly updating, just when I want to read; just like when I open a website on my computer.

Other than that, everything is always on and over the coarse of a typical day / business day, I end up around 30% battery when I plug it in at bedtime (which is usually around 11pm to midnight).

As far as the reason for buying the tech people do, its simple. Gadget lovers & techies ect are passionate about gear, and want to be able to tinker and enjoy the power of the cutting edge technology which is driving our personal lives. Smart phones, or "pocket" computers are the future of computing, and our lives will be mostly on these devices. Our phones will be our wallets, our computers (see atrix), our organizers, our assistants, ect. We are in the midst of transitioning to this future, and being there for the ride and seeing new companies push the ability of what we can do with our phones, what we can access and control, and the power we can hold in the palm of our hand becoming greater and greater is enjoyable to say the least. Its an exciting time, much as the 90's were for desktop power, and how exciting that was for the evolution of home computing.

Most people do not need the best phone, but most people on the gadget blogs and tech sites try to harness as much power as possible, and quite frankly help push the power of these devices by being demanding. Just as gamers and game developers pushed the desktop & laptop markets to compete heavily for the processor & gpu power we all enjoy today. I never really talk tech jargon to people unless they are geeks like me, so its not a bragging right; its simply personal enjoyment and the personal love of technology.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Some Android phones are better than others. The Evo and Incredible don't have great battery life. My N1, most of the Motorola's tend to have pretty good battery life. I use my phone quite a bit and get a full days use out of it (N1). Of coarse when I first got it, and was tinkering with it all day long it wouldn't last that long, but normal business/personal use its not an issue.

The only thing I make sure to do is have news feeds, twitter/facebook ect update when I open them. I don't need everything constantly updating, just when I want to read; just like when I open a website on my computer.

Other than that, everything is always on and over the coarse of a typical day / business day, I end up around 30% battery when I plug it in at bedtime (which is usually around 11pm to midnight).

This is very true...

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Factory settings was tested and approved for our phones. However, we can always choose to change them to our own preferences.

Keep in mind... that doing so could result in one of two things - better battery life(little better than normal), or unacceptable battery draining.

I have two batteries, a charging dock, and a USB wall charger. These seem to work wonders for me.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had several Android devices before I got my Evo. They all had the same thing in common. Regardless of their expected battery life, they were all plugged into the charger before I went to bed that night. If I don't use my Evo to its fullest, I'll still have about 30 percent or so left when I plug it in. If I DO use it to its fullest, I'll very much be in the red before plugging it in. I knew when I got the Evo that battery life would be an issue. No problem though...I have my home charger, a car charger, a wall charger at work, and an EXTRA wall charger that I keep in my glove box...along with a couple extra batteries. No matter what...I'm prepared :-D

ChodTheWacko

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Let me put a different spin on this:
My attitude towards this question is: "I have a porsche too, but why are you leaving your porsche sitting there with the engine running and the lights on?"

I only start the car if I want to drive. I only turn the lights on if I need to see something outside, and it is night.
Yes, it's more "work" to have to start the car now. And turn the lights on and off. But that's my choice to save gas and battery.

And for a simliiar reason, by default almost EVERYTHING is shut off on my phone by default, and the phone uses very little battery power when I am asleep or the phone is in my pocket.

Android's customizability means it only takes a keypress or two to do anything.
So (for now) I am perfectly happy to manually update widgets as needed.

If it ever reaches a point where it is out of control, perhaps I'll have a tasker job set up to update them when the phone wakes up. But that's not right now. Of all my widgets there's only usually 1 or two I am ever interested in at any particular point in time.

Yes, SOME people need to know right away if they got an e-mail because their production server crashed. I'm not. IMHO, If something is going on that is that urgent, then you should be calling me anyway.

- Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo