Nokia going down but still not out

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I like the phones. I have a C6 currently. It's Nokia's attitude that is driving me away. It seems they are trying to build an OVI community and things are being geared to this. If you use your phone for more than socializing, it's not easy to find exactly what you want.
Nokia tried to install an extension into Firefox without permission or any notice. It was not enabled, and to get rid of it, you had to tweak the registry on the computer. They want your IMEI, Serial Number and Carrier if you try to register. Then. even if certain apps are available, if Nokia doesn't want you to use them, you won't get them.
The apps from OVI store aren't overly expensive, but OVI also doesn't give you any info on how you will be charged until you download. I think people want more information than that on what is being sold.
The Symbian OS is not bad. I liked it. The flavors got really confusing, though.
Z

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nokia (and some others) think there is room in the market for more than about 3-4 mobile OSs. The fact is that developers simply can't support more that 2 or 3 platforms at a time. iOS and Android are pretty much set as the top two, and you are going to see WP7, webOS, and BB OS fight it out for 3 and 4. Nokia makes some amazing hardware, if they went with Android they could be very effective (and maybe even break into the US).

Sadly, I think they are too proud to abandon their own OS.

Fnordish

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd been a Nokia fan for years, even before I ditched my Alcatel POS and got a 3210.
Now I have had 5 handsets over 10 years and loved them all, but the limitations of my N95 were all software based. The hardware was excellent as always, but I was constantly held back by Symbian.

We had to wait freaking ages to get Android in Oz (and then we only seemed to get 500 nexus ones for the whole country WTF?) and even now we don't have the greatest range available.
Even with the limitations most of my crowd who carried N95's have HTC Desires or Galaxy S's (and some poor sods paid good money for Xperia X10's. Shed a tear for them). Yes, some went to idevices, but not that many.

Australia was Nokia's massive market to loose. They seem to be doing a marvellous job of handing it to Android.