OK GOOGLE and vehicle activation

EvEr34

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to find a way to wake up OK google in my car. I'm a previous windows phone user and it was pretty simple to wake up Cortana. Basically, when your phone was paired with the car you could find in your vehicle's contacts a listing for Cortana with a random phone number. You could the assign this phone number to a key on the vehicle dial pad. Almost like speed dial if you will. When this key was long pressed Cortana would wake up and be accessible through bluetooth. Is there such a procedure with Android? If not can someone explain to me how I can wake up ok google with having to pick up my device while in my car.

Thanks in advance

Mike

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What you're describing for Cortana can't be done with Google Now. You could try Open Mic+ to allow your phone to be always listening--but on phones that aren't designed to do this (i.e., any phone besides the Moto X), this can increase battery drain. If you do use it, I suggest keeping the phone plugged into a charger while you're driving.

gevertex

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to find a way to wake up OK google in my car. I'm a previous windows phone user and it was pretty simple to wake up Cortana. Basically, when your phone was paired with the car you could find in your vehicle's contacts a listing for Cortana with a random phone number. You could the assign this phone number to a key on the vehicle dial pad. Almost like speed dial if you will. When this key was long pressed Cortana would wake up and be accessible through bluetooth. Is there such a procedure with Android? If not can someone explain to me how I can wake up ok google with having to pick up my device while in my car.

Thanks in advance

Mike

I'm pretty sure there's a setting in google now somewhere to allow this when the screen is on (and even locked, but not with a passcode).

I would post a link, but I'm not allowed to do that yet... :-/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there's a setting in google now somewhere to allow this when the screen is on (and even locked, but not with a passcode).

You can open Google Now, swipe in from the left, tap Settings>Voice>"Ok Google" Detection, and turn on "From Any Screen." But the screen has to be on, or the device has to be charging. If you want to do this without having to handle the phone, then it would require the phone to be on a charger in your car.

If you find that it doesn't work even when the phone is charging, then it might still require the screen to be on. In that case, go to Settings>Developer Options, and turn on Stay Awake, which keeps the screen on while the phone is charging.

EvEr34

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I guess my only option is to plug in the device when I get in the car. In itself it's not that big of a deal but it would be nice if google could implement a similar method to what I described in my original post. Both WP and BB have this opt-in and it's really useful

Posted via the Android Central App