Shut down all cell service permanently...

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I switched carriers, and I will probably soon quit using a smart phone with my plan to save money.

However, I would like to keep using my phone for things that either don't need data, or sometimes on wireless (especially to download apps etc), I envision using it like an Android version of an iPod.

To save battery, I typically want all radios turned off, but will at times want wi-fi and GPS.

My phone is an LG Optimus G, rooted with CM 12.

Airplane mode does what I need, but I was wondering if there is another method to turn off cell service that I am not aware of. I would like to keep my status bar clean, and thus don't want the airplane there unless it needs to be,

Any thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Removing the SIM will get rid of the need for using airplane mode, but it may bring up an icon to indicate there is no SIM in the device.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On some phones, removing the SIM can be bad news. I have an older Samsung Galaxy Stellar that I pulled the SIM from when I switched phones years back. If the phone wasn't in Airplane Mode, the radio would go nuts for some reason and suck the battery dry way too fast. But in APM, it sips juice... even now, years later, the thing will go like three weeks between charges if it is just sitting on the table.

The best way to go about things is to enable Airplane Mode and turn Wifi on manually. You might be able to find a modification somewhere that will mask the airplane icon... using something like Xposed.. but that request root access, etc.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, well I guess you can chalk it up to my lack of experience with all kinds cell phones. My oldest son has two Iphones, (4 & 5) that he rebuilt from damage (got them both for free) and he and my daughter-in-law sent texts and pictures from Europe while traveling this summer and neither phone has a SIM. They used Hangouts on WiFi. I know my spare Moto X 2013 works quite well without its SIM. But it sounds like this is not universal.

pvjfu

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Or disable the cell radio, I have a Sprint phone too and have disabled the cell radio a couple of times.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci