Thoughts on NFC?

Haven King

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
What do you guys think of NFC? How useful is it, do you use it, etc. The Oneplus Two came out recently, and was lacking NFC, so I was curious just how many people it was cutting out. On top of using it for payments, what else do you use it for?

Go, discuss!

Side note: What if the NFC antenna was on the top of the phone, where a lot of headphone jacks are, instead of the back? Could this make using it more natural since you'd be holding it?

wxboss

May 8, 2011
Visit site
My past 4 phones supported NFC. I never once used it. Never found a reason to use it.

Asus Zenphone 2 (4GB RAM)

The last couple of phones I had supported NFC too. I did mess with it once to transfer some pictures and videos, but that was the extent of it. It was interesting but not something I actually needed.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've used to to send photo's to my girlfriends phone. This was with my previous phone (replaced now) that wouldn't send SMS/MMS or any pictures taken with the phone.

I may try to use it for payments, etc. Seems a cool idea and it's about time I caught up with technology a bit.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, if the payments stuff catches on, it'll be a 'must have'.... I guess. I don't know, I've never used it.

But I wouldn't dismiss it. When phones first came with cameras, some people didn't put much stock in it either.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I pay with contactless a lot.... but just because I can, not because it's particularly easier it faster. Otherwise, my NFC stays off all the time.

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
NFC will only become useful once there's a killer app or killer feature for it. Bluetooth pairing or file/data transfer certainly isn't anywhere near that but mobile payment does have potential to drive widespread NFC availability.

ecksmc

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been using NFC tags which I've set for settings so when walking in to make a cupa tea I can just use NFC to send a tweet saying I'm making a cupa, I've got tags all over my flat all set to do simple tasks like turn phone into night mode turning volume off and brightness down and turning auto sync off all with one tap of a NFC tag, as for using NFC for paying it hasn't really caught on yet in UK only very few places accept contactless payment in Scotland but I'm sure I'll start using it when more places around me use it

ecksmc using LG Spirit

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't use it; however, I do see it's benefits in making things more efficient especially the mobile pay stuff.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I use it with Google wallet to pay on occasion, maybe once a month. I don't think I would buy a phone without it because I do enjoy having the option.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I used to shun it as a gimmick.

Look who's laughing now.

I use it to pair my phone with my camera, a friend's Sony TV, transferring files between phones and I also have some NFC tags coming.