Third Party Accessory Manufacturers Will Determine The Winners

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

The subject says it all.
Third Party Accessory Manufacturers Will Determine The Winners

I say this because no matter how attractive a device is, you are unlikely to buy it if you can't get the case you want, dock you want, screen protector, etc.

What this means is that third party manufacturers will decide which device they want to make accessories for based on history of sales, likely sales and what they deem is popular. This will drive sales to those devices because people often look at accessories before they buy a device to see what is available.

It's no surprise that the iPhone variants get plenty of attention.
When you get to android devices the attention paid to the specific device gets smaller and only a fraction of the iPhone attention.
The Samsung devices get attention, but after that different devices get very little third party accessory support.

I'm debating my next phone and I'm looking at accessories and third party support and my options are limited.

Just wanted to start a dialog.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true. It's not just about popularity--another factor is the sheer variety of Android devices out there, and how many new ones come out each year. It's not that cost effective for a company to design and manufacture accessories for so many different devices on a large scale.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I'm looking for a new phone - am very interested in the Moto X Pure. But.... there has been a dearth of accessories for the MotoX line, and it looks to be no different for this new model.

Samsung is the leader, but LG is pretty good as well. So, looking to either an upcoming LG4 Pro, or the existing LG4.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something to consider about the iPhone is this: From the standard to the s line, there rarely is a change in exterior design. So, it's easier to make a case for an iPhone, as you know that shape will be good for at least 2 years, if not more.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've always thought that the ultimate factor has always been carrier involvement... at least in the US. Having a carrier offer a phone is a big boost to any phone model. I don't know the numbers, but I would chance a guess that a overwelming majority of users still get their phones through their carriers, then deal with accessories after the fact. And seeing as most carriers carry stuff for the phones they sell, someone will be able to get a case, protector right then.

So that's why everyone is curious about Motorola's new "get it from us" approach to their new line. Will their name be able to get people to disconnect from their carriers? (especially since some, like Verizon, are often a royal pain when it comes to phones they don't sell).

As for the kiosks.. like at a mall. Those are popularity contests. They stock accessories for the most popular phones... not the other way around.

Via online channels, it is pretty hard to come across a phone that doesn't have many bits available for it.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it's the complete opposite. The more successful a device is, the more third party accessories there are for that device. That's why you see so many iPhone accessories. You don't see lots of iPhones because there are so many iPhone accessories, rather you see lots of iPhone accessories because there are lots of iPhones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm