Recent update

jg2012

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Both my Moto E 2nd gen phone and my HP Slate 7 2800 tablet recently updated but no changes to version number. Still 5.0.1 and 4.1.1 respectively. The patch updated all the apps. Was this some sort of Android patch?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Your HP tablet is likely to remain at 4.1.1., Seeing as it hasn't even gotten Jellybean or KitKat, it's not likely to get Lollipop or even Marshmallow.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it was. I wasn't aware of Stagefright.

Well, it was really much to do about nothing. While technically affecting a bunch of different versions, the actual number of vulnerable phones/versions was actually rather small. And the exploit was found by a security firm, not an actual malicious app in the wild. Granted, I think the best thing to come out of this was that the somewhat overexagerated response to the exploit lead to Google and the OEMs commiting themselves to far more frequent security updates.... taking a page out of Microsoft's book.

Before, if there was a security patch, most people would have had to wait until the next full or minor version OTA from their OEM.... so 'Yea, Stagefright!'