Antivirus on Android or not?

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
No, and I won't install it either.

I've had PCs over the years and they all get infected regardless of the anti-virus software I was running at the time...what's the point?
Yours might, mine do not, but then I use a good Antivirus.

clownFaceProd

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
In my past 5 years of using Android, I haven't encountered a single security risk, nor have I met someone (online or in person) who has encountered a security risk.

BTW antivirus apps are useless when users install apps that ask for permission to view all of their private data, and the user still installs it anyways.

I definitely echo this. I see many articles about new threats and new exploits, etc. It's never happened to me or anyone I know.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
This thread is a must read...

Curious what is the consensus on "wrapper" type applications? Compact apps that in essence run an the app in a www browser shell, but appear on screen to be the app itself?

I just started using Tinfoil wrapper for facebook. The only permission it asks for is location, which I deny. Is that safer than the FB app itself with permissions all turned off? I had problems with FB running in the background, and even when appearing to not be running... my battery usage monitor would detect FB doing something in the background. Tinfoil is FAR superior in this regard.... but how is it from a security standpoint?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've kind of thought that they were significant; but never downloaded one for my Nexus 5. When I got my G3, it came with a McAfee Antivirus app; so I use that to do a full scan on my phone every couple weeks/monthly.

I feel like we should have some kind of malware detector on our phones; because like computers, they can get bugs or run into issues; often without us even meaning to cause them such problems in the first place.

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips including reminding me that Android is not like Windows, more like Linux and that malware is the concern not viruses.

Keep it coming.

Last edited:

thegreenbot

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
One must use an Antivirus, no matter what purpose you have on your phone. Even if you play games, then also you must have an Antivirus on your Android phone. I personally consider Quick Heal to be the best one but you can choose some other depending upon your choice and need.

Hog8oy

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I did have Avast anti-virus installed but only for a short while then removed it, didn't think it was needed, I now have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed as an on-demand scanner and do a scan every Sunday morning, never found anything yet, sweet ;)

Android is getting a new malware every day and its won't be same as using Antivirus on Laptop/Desktop. Smartphone are having different use cases and purposes. There are a lot of ways like sending a simple text message to take over your phone is available in Android. So, it most of the Android antivirus tools is pretty useless in my opinion.

Iliyan Ivanov

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of A-V apps, most seem like a just another gimmick to read your data and hog resources. If the av apps are anything like the av software on PC it's useless(I avoid those too). It's 4 years since I've had an android phone and never had issues with malware on it.. and I constantly install random apps most of which pirated(I live in a "developing country", no money for apps).

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
So let me explain why antivirus are useless.
Any installed app from the google play store and from third party will be sanboxed by android, That means that they have limitation on what they can do such as accesing other app data and private directories,accesing low level of the system,ect... which explains why they have to ask for permission to do certain things first. Now the only issue with that is the fact that antivirus are no execption, once an malicious app is installed, its too late for the antivirus app to react. Because it cant look in there, it wont be able to check those parts of the system and it will not realises there is malware because the sandbox cant let him do that., even their find my phone is not useful because that is already built in Android, heck there is even a built in malware scanner to android! that scans third party apps you install for malicious behaviour even Google plays one are scanned and it will be automatically uninstall them on all devices that has the app in question(but only if its in google plays) so basically you might want to use it only if you actually downloading shady application of shady website.

k3u

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I use LookOut on my Galaxy S7, I don't really think it will do anything more than just scan incoming files. I've seen "Anti-Virus" apps do more damage than good so I tend to steer clear of them unless it's offered by a big name company.

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I use LookOut on my Galaxy S7, I don't really think it will do anything more than just scan incoming files. I've seen "Anti-Virus" apps do more damage than good so I tend to steer clear of them unless it's offered by a big name company.

well i stay away from anti virus only if i dont install from outside google play store

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers