1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Platform to fail... Right!!!

Yea, Right! ... This is a bunch of crap if you've ever seen it!
    Got this emailed to me from a friend today...

Take what you will from it...

Banned

Lol what a joke.

Saw this reported on another site. What a joke. The iPhone has failed to stop the rise of Android globally. What makes anyone think that in the US Android is going to fail? Have they not seen the rate of growth? Yes, there is always hysteria associated with a new iPhone but that is always the case. The iPhone 4 did not make a dent when it was launched on AT&T last year. Let them keep on dreaming. Android is here to stay!

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Even from that small sampling (757 people), the majority of Android users chose to stay with Android. The bigger news is that (according to their sample), BlackBerry is more in a world of hurt since the larger number of BB users would switch.

I think it looks good for Android. The majority of users choose not to flock to the iPhone.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

I rarely read any of those stories since the writer usually favors one device over any other. Especially cnet and gizmodo.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

So, how would they account for people like me, a Verizon person who moved from a BB in January to a Droid X? Yes, I knew iPhone was coming to Verizon and I still picked up a Droid.

I don't trust surveys

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd be curious to see how many of these 727 people they've surveyed were people who just jumped on Android to hold them over UNTIL the iPhone launched on Verizon.

Android isn't going anywhere

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

ROM
    Rooted (always changing)

Let's break this down, shall we?

1. "Out of all Android owners, 44% are either very likely (19%) or somewhat likely (25%) to buy an iPhone on Feb. 10."
    -- Why? Because AT&T sucks due to the iPhone, and the network strength was more important to these people. So, they went to VZW, TMob, or Sprint and grabbed an Android phone when they actually would have rather had a WORKING iPhone in the first place. Apple screwed themselves by choosing AT&T exclusively in the beginning. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.

2. "For BlackBerry owners, 66% are very likely (32%) or somewhat likely (34%) to switch on Day One."
    -- Why? Because both the iPhone and Android are better than BB. All this says is that BB is doomed. What did the other 33% choose? The data was probably relevant, but wasn't provided. Not surprised. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.
    A footnote to #2 -- This is misleading, making the data seem more important by using a bigger percentage like "66%". It should read, "For BlackBerry owners, 32% are very likely and 34% are somewhat likely to switch on Day One."

3. "Out of all those indicating an interest to switch, 24% wouldnt mind standing in line to get the Verizon iPhone."
    -- Why? Because it's the next "fad". People stood in line for the first iPhone (and all the iPhones that came after). People also stood in line for the Droid, the RAZR, and Tickle Me Elmo. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.

4. "Those who already have an iPhone with AT&T are less likely to switch (8% very likely, 18% somewhat) but 29% of those that are likely to switch would stand in line that first day."
    -- Why? See the answers to #1 and #3. Proves my point. Conclusion: I'm tired of being redundant.

I think the main points here are these:
    A) This is what people believe is the cutting edge (because that's what they are led to believe by friends and fancy advertising; they don't take the time to do their research), when in reality, it's not. Android is just like the iPhone, except for one major (winning) factor: It's not locked down. People always want what they don't have, especially when it's the "next big thing".
    B) SURVEYS LIKE THIS ARE A CROCK. I can take all of that data, break it down myself, and write up an article as to why Windows Phone or Colecovision is better, and people would just believe it, because it comes from a "survey".

</rant>

Android FTW.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

The iphone hype for VZW will last for a week or so. Then the novelty will wear off and the Iphone4 will just be another device in VZW lineup.

Hell here in Canada, the iphone is available in all carriers and yet the people are still buying the old BB curve.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,786 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Even from that small sampling (757 people), the majority of Android users chose to stay with Android. The bigger news is that (according to their sample), BlackBerry is more in a world of hurt since the larger number of BB users would switch.

I think it looks good for Android. The majority of users choose not to flock to the iPhone.
    i was thinking the same thing reading this only 44% of the users said theyd switch. a majority will stay. but blackberry users are jumping to android and iphone very quickly. Te best blackberry out right now is the torch spec wise and functionality and even that cant compete.

Now i know there will be a lot of people who want the iphone because its simple and easy and they think its cool but those are people who just shouldnt own a smartphone anyways because they probably dont use it to its potential'. The iphone is a nice device but if anything verizon getting the iphone has helped android and even verizon knows this. Look at the speculation for the push back of the thunderbolt to just past the return policy? and at&t the biggest US GSM carrier gets 2 awesome android devices this month and the infuse in the pipeline.

Android is not going anywhere that is certain but i do hope they work on enabling all the handsets to recieve updates more timely this is my one and only existing gripe with android outside of this the devices are perfect!

Also personally i hope Nokia decides to work with android not WP7 for their reboot because they make some stellar hardware!
    Windows Phone:Lumia 920
    Android: Nexus 4
    iOS: iPhone 5
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,786 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ronindan View Post
    The iphone hype for VZW will last for a week or so. Then the novelty will wear off and the Iphone4 will just be another device in VZW lineup.

Hell here in Canada, the iphone is available in all carriers and yet the people are still buying the old BB curve.
    you have a very valid point its kind of like the forbid and theyll want it method. Iphone was only on at&t so some of these non tech people who never played with it are like OMG i needs it! but im on VZW/Sprint/Tmobile and my contract isnt up.

So i think your right once more people have the option for it will lose its luster.
    Windows Phone:Lumia 920
    Android: Nexus 4
    iOS: iPhone 5

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by zombiepug View Post
    you have a very valid point its kind of like the forbid and theyll want it method. Iphone was only on at&t so some of these non tech people who never played with it are like OMG i needs it! but im on VZW/Sprint/Tmobile and my contract isnt up.

So i think your right once more people have the option for it will lose its luster.
    Yep people are like that, I am sure there is a pent up demand for the Iphone with VZW customers.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 02-10-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

well my friends are working 4:15 am till 9 pm tonight so if anyone has any issues don't plan on calling tech support because they will all be dealing with Iphone activiations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyXI View Post
    Let's break this down, shall we?

1. "Out of all Android owners, 44% are either very likely (19%) or somewhat likely (25%) to buy an iPhone on Feb. 10."
    -- Why? Because AT&T sucks due to the iPhone, and the network strength was more important to these people. So, they went to VZW, TMob, or Sprint and grabbed an Android phone when they actually would have rather had a WORKING iPhone in the first place. Apple screwed themselves by choosing AT&T exclusively in the beginning. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.

2. "For BlackBerry owners, 66% are very likely (32%) or somewhat likely (34%) to switch on Day One."
    -- Why? Because both the iPhone and Android are better than BB. All this says is that BB is doomed. What did the other 33% choose? The data was probably relevant, but wasn't provided. Not surprised. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.
    A footnote to #2 -- This is misleading, making the data seem more important by using a bigger percentage like "66%". It should read, "For BlackBerry owners, 32% are very likely and 34% are somewhat likely to switch on Day One."

3. "Out of all those indicating an interest to switch, 24% wouldn’t mind standing in line to get the Verizon iPhone."
    -- Why? Because it's the next "fad". People stood in line for the first iPhone (and all the iPhones that came after). People also stood in line for the Droid, the RAZR, and Tickle Me Elmo. Conclusion: These numbers don't matter.

4. "Those who already have an iPhone with AT&T are less likely to switch (8% very likely, 18% somewhat) but 29% of those that are likely to switch would stand in line that first day."
    -- Why? See the answers to #1 and #3. Proves my point. Conclusion: I'm tired of being redundant.

I think the main points here are these:
    A) This is what people believe is the cutting edge (because that's what they are led to believe by friends and fancy advertising; they don't take the time to do their research), when in reality, it's not. Android is just like the iPhone, except for one major (winning) factor: It's not locked down. People always want what they don't have, especially when it's the "next big thing".
    B) SURVEYS LIKE THIS ARE A CROCK. I can take all of that data, break it down myself, and write up an article as to why Windows Phone or Colecovision is better, and people would just believe it, because it comes from a "survey".

</rant>

Android FTW.
    i like your rant, but i think you're missing the bigger picture: the math. the math is incredible in this article! JUST LOOK AT THE SAMPLE SIZE!!!

I mena, wow, 727 users from AT&T and VZW combined!!! What was the key factor of the sample size? Did this guy find users who were foaming at the mouth to begin with?

If you do the math. 44% of 727 users, evenly broken out between the two carriers is about 360 users from each carrier. 19% of those 360 users (68 people) said they were "very likely" to get an iPhone, while 25% of those 360 users (90 people) were somewhat likely.

My wife said she wanted an iPhone when she heard the news. Then she came to her senses and said it's just a fad.

Does anybody have any clue as to total subscribers on AT&T and VZW? I'd like to see the math in comparison to the bigger picture. Of course, then you'd have to break it down to people using Android, vs. not, etc.

Regardless, this survey is very flawed. The lineup of Android phones that AT&T had offered in the past are abismal in comparison to today's standards. Users stuck with G1s are probably foaming to get an iPhone as they've probably either lost touch with current Android improvements, or they were so burned by their current device, they want whatever works/their friends have/etc., etc.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I had friends who were saying this before the VZW iPhone was ever announced. I thought their reasoning was a joke then and I think this survey proves that its a joke now. The guy above me did the math and broke it down to hard numbers instead of % numbers, which always look more enticing than the actual data.

Im in the camp of part of the iToy's luster is from its exclusivity on a single carrier. A lot like the Razr was when introduced in 2003. I admit that I fell for the marketing back then. Lucky for me I was still on my parents phone plan and they werent going to switch carriers just for a fancy phone, which we all came to find out was not that great in its original form to begin with. So I never got my Razr. Once the Razr was available on all carriers, no one cared anymore.

By the time iphone came in 2007, I was much less about following fads and trends. I had already had numerous problems with my ipod and the Apple shine was starting to wear off. The fact that it was on ATT was just icing on the cake for me not to get one.

I dont think anything can stop Android's steady rise to the top of the mobile OS market. I know a couple people who are going to be switching to the iPhone from an Android device and I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. Will they ever admit it? I dont think so because they happen to be the fad and trendy people I know so having the jesus phone will be nothing but the best phone ever! The tech guys I know who are going to try it are actually expecting to be disappointed over the fact that they KNOW its a closed OS and not customizable like Android is. I think they will be back on Android very quickly.

Default Android Has 28% of the Market now ....

I was reading in the news that Android has the largest share of the market, something like 28% now, more than Apple!

It took quite a while, but Android has finally reached critical mass. I don't think Apple's arrogance endears them to a lot of customers.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unfortunately, Apple's attitude will never catch up with them, at least not while Steve Jobs is in charge. That's the creative genus behind them at the moment, they can say and do just about anything and get away with it.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

They may be facing the loss of Steve Jobs in the not too distant future. While I don't mean Steve Jobs anything bad, the sad reality is that he has cancer (what I've read is pancreatic cancer) which is why he has taken leave. If he truly has pancreatic cancer, that is a deadly cancer with no cure. One has to wonder what will happen with Apple when Steve Jobs is no longer there.

Then July will roll around and they will all be sick because they're stuck in 2 year contracts with the old hardware. HAHAHAHA!!!!

There are two types of pancreatic cancer, the real bad kind that my mother died from and the less-lethal type that Steve Jobs has. He has had it for years and has been undergoing treatment. I don't know if he will return, but if he doesn't I don't know if Apple can hold their own, it didn't work for them the last time they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Treknologist View Post
    They may be facing the loss of Steve Jobs in the not too distant future. While I don't mean Steve Jobs anything bad, the sad reality is that he has cancer (what I've read is pancreatic cancer) which is why he has taken leave. If he truly has pancreatic cancer, that is a deadly cancer with no cure. One has to wonder what will happen with Apple when Steve Jobs is no longer there.
    Steve Jobs did have pancreatic cancer, but it was definitely not an adenocarcinoma, which is what you were thinking of as incurable. I think it was an islet cell tumor, although I could be thinking of Justice Ginsberg.

Without getting too speculative, though, it's certainly safe to say that he is going through a pretty serious health crisis now. Hopefully, he'll bounce back quickly. Consumers need Apple to stay strong; the history of consumer electronics wars has shown that having one dominant platform in a category quickly leads to stagnation. Google needs to be kept honest, and I don't think the Two Turkeys will be enough to do it.

As an ATT Iphone customer, I can not wait to get my hands on the Inspire when I upgrade my phone Feb. 20th I began disliking the IOS after about two days of getting my phone. After I jail broke it it became livable, but with Android I get the freedom I want with out having to hack it. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Treknologist View Post
    i think one fact that people conveniently forget is MS bailed Apple out back in the 90s when they were struggling to be relevant. Steve Jobs was no where in sight and the company was quickly failing. the gov't steps in, call's MS a monopoly and MS turns around and starts investing in companies to regain control of the situation.

fast forward to today; MS stayed on it's steady curve, Apple gained Jobs back and started taking more (read: better) risks and the market flourished.

without Jobs, i fear the same. Apple will attempt to hold its momentum, but there's only so much the people will take. the brick and mortar stores will start to take their toll, people will lose faith as Apple works to make cost-cutting decisions, etc. and the market will change again.

there are certain, iconic individuals that grow these companies from nothing, that force their ideaology because they believe in it. once they're gone, everyone else is merely emulating what they can't produce on their own.

I work inside Costco selling phones and in no way have i seen Iphone slowing these droids march.