Nothing wrong with Android except...

nick49

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I truly believe that Android is on the move to be a major force in the mobile world except for one thing. Some standardization of hardware is needed. I don't mean processors or anything like that, but connectors. Look at the tons of iPhone add on devices available, from charges to speakers. Part of the reason these are economically viable for their manufacturers is that there is a standard connection they can design for. I would really hope that Google would develop a spec for the connectors (data, power, output) and make it freely available to all the hardware makers.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i think most every new high end android uses micro usb as that is being enacted in europe as the universal standard so they are pretty universal at this point as all the cables work together. what android needs is to ditch the skins or find someway to make updates far more timely.

the reason you see more assecories or docks for iphones is the ports are in same location and devices are same size.

androids usually use micro usb but some have on bottom, side, top plus different size devices so docks are required to be device specific not really something google can control.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I truly believe that Android is on the move to be a major force in the mobile world except for one thing. Some standardization of hardware is needed. I don't mean processors or anything like that, but connectors. Look at the tons of iPhone add on devices available, from charges to speakers. Part of the reason these are economically viable for their manufacturers is that there is a standard connection they can design for. I would really hope that Google would develop a spec for the connectors (data, power, output) and make it freely available to all the hardware makers.

Its already there. With the exception of certain tablets, the overwhelming majority use microUSB. EVERY single Android phone uses microUSB, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think he means accessories ect. The issue is, with the iPhone, there is only one manufacturer. One size fits all makes making accessories easy to make for them.

When you have Motorola, HTC, LG ect all making phones, they is no way to really facilitate them all having the same exact form and connection areas on all their phones so that all "android" accessories would work on all android phones.

Apple has a one size fit all mentality so the benefit of that [for accessories makers] is everybody has the same thing.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Plus, pretty much every device supports bluetooth, so all it would take it a manufacturer to create a bluetooth-enabled device and size would no longer matter.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I rarely have to dock anything anymore as both my headphones and my car hook up through bluetooth. Don't need any standard system unless I'm buying a tablet and want a laptop or computer dock.

Sent from my HTC Vision

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
This would be great but it will NEVER happen. Its in each manufacturers interest to force us to buy new accessories whenever we upgrade phones. Hell I don't even think the dock from the original Droid and Droid 2 are compatible and they're both Motorola phones. Google can't do anything about it because all they do is give away an OS for manufacturers to do whatever they want with.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
To my mind the two biggest compatibility problems are the manufacturer skins, which delay updates, and the numerous screen resolutions, which are a major problem for developers, especially game developers.