1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola Xoom at Best Buy for $1199!

What are they thinking? Good thing there is 'great financing'.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post

Ouch, that price is a no for me.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post

I'm sure thats Motorola's MAP without activation. Also, there's no way to actually order it right now so I'm betting this is just a place holder.

Since we've seen proof of the $799 with activation, the $1199 without makes a certain amount of sense. Compare it to the 32gb ipad with 3G at $729, the Xoom hardware is heads and shoulders beyond the iPad, so I think its well worth the $799, of course that depends on what kind of data plans are available, that could throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing.

My hope is they release a wifi only version for $500, but I know that could be a pipe dream.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

It may be heads and shoulders above the iPad in specs, but if they don't sell it at a competitive price, the iPad will continue to wipe the floor with these other tablets.

Somebody is going to need a loss leader tablet. And one that is not crappy; I mean a high end one like the Xoom. Price it at $499, or even $449, and get people into the ecosystem. Release higher priced tablets later once people have bought into it.

Till then, people will go for the one thats not only cheaper, but has the recognition the iPad does. Everybody knows the iPad. Its tried and true, easy to use, and is synonymous with tablets much like iPods with music players. Hardly any average consumers will know what all "those other tablets" are. A very small percentage of Geeks are the only ones who will buy it at $799, let alone $1199. That being said, I am pretty sure this $1199 is just a place holder price they use on things they aren't supposed to sell yet. I expect it to be $799, although like I said, this is not going to help them take over iPad market share.
    Last edited by dtboos; 02-13-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtboos View Post
    It may be heads and shoulders above the iPad in specs, but if they don't sell it at a competitive price, the iPad will continue to wipe the floor with these other tablets.

Somebody is going to need a loss leader tablet. And one that is not crappy; I mean a high end one like the Xoom. Price it at $499, or even $449, and get people into the ecosystem. Release higher priced tablets later once people have bought into it.

Till then, people will go for the one thats not only cheaper, but has the recognition the iPad does. Everybody knows the iPad. Its tried and true, easy to use, and is synonymous with tablets much like iPods with music players. Hardly any average consumers will know what all "those other tablets" are. A very small percentage of Geeks are the only ones who will buy it at $799, let alone $1199. That being said, I am pretty sure this $1199 is just a place holder price they use on things they aren't supposed to sell yet. I expect it to be $799, although like I said, this is not going to help them take over iPad market share.
    Ya I can't see this thing selling for more than $799, if it does indeed sell for more than that Motorola will make very little profit from it.

ya, this price isn't competitve at all. just because they are the first kids on the block to get the new digs doesn't mean that we're all going to jump in. if they are thinking 'early adopter fee', let me just remind them that is what sony tried pulling with the pspgo and we all know how that failed.

they need to push this down to a more palatable $699 or less. They are letting their greed get ahead of their need to get marketshare. Motorola just spurned off its mobile area and I know they are hurting to make it big, but at the same time they are pricing themselves outta the war. Either they lower their price or they are goin to be looking pretty ridiculous once the G-Slate comes out and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Good luck moto!

While you're at it too...get MotoBlur off of the ATRIX!! Blur is a horrible piece of bloatware. I know you are trying to help and build your brand but you're like a new mother suffocating her newborn son

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I agree with getting rid of the motoblur ui, its gonna bring Motorola to it knees eventually.

Sent from my Droid Incredible