Going to the Dark Side? - Android to iPhone

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,

Simple thread here. I was an original iPhone user when the 1st gen came out. Rooted the phone and really enjoyed the iPhone. After the first year or two, I started exploring outside of the iPhone. I explored with Blackberry phones and then when Android was introduced, I quickly switched over. Ever since the introduction of Android, I've been an Android user and was never impressed with the new versions of the iPhone as they've been released due to hardware being obsolete as they are released and the features just trying to catch up to Android.

I've been on my Note 3 for the past 2 years and I'm getting the itch to get a new phone. The obvious upgrade path to me is the Note 5. I love the new features however I use my phone primarily just for work calls/e-mail and then personal texting/calls/social media. Sadly, for work, any Android phone has to use Good for Enterprise to get access to our calendar and mail. For those of you that know, this absolutely sucks. The people at work who have iPhone's have a seamless transition of being able to see e-mail and integrated calendar directly through iOS and not needing to enter a password every time they need to read an e-mail.

This really started to guide me to look back at iPhones (specifically 6s Plus). I know this forum is bias towards Android, but wanted to see if anyone else is going through the same dilema I am and why you went to iPhone and/or stayed with Android

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea what Good for Enterprise is, but every Android handset I've owned directly syncs to my Outlook account and I can read my emails/check my calendar on the default Google apps no problem, without having to enter a password.

TaiBD

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I have both Android and iPhone and use both regularly.
If you use your phone mainly for work/emails then probably iPhone has a small advantage with its user interface. The keyboard is slightly better and generally things require less 'taps' to get done, better integrated and more consistent layout.
However, if you are quite 'techy' and like to customise your phone and software then Android phones are a better choice.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea what Good for Enterprise is, but every Android handset I've owned directly syncs to my Outlook account and I can read my emails/check my calendar on the default Google apps no problem, without having to enter a password.

Good is Enterprise device management. I believe Good provides its own mail client and "secure apps" area/sandbox, much like MobileIron does so your company email and calendar are not integrated with others you may have on the device.

My company uses MobileIron, used to use AirWatch.

Large enterprises (ones that would be using Good or other device management tools) typically won't have Outlook accounts but will use the Outlook application on computers to connect to internally-hosted Exchange servers.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have both Android and iPhone and use both regularly.
If you use your phone mainly for work/emails then probably iPhone has a small advantage with its user interface. The keyboard is slightly better and generally things require less 'taps' to get done, better integrated and more consistent layout.
However, if you are quite 'techy' and like to customise your phone and software then Android phones are a better choice.

I too use iOS for work and an Android device for personal use. Unfortunately, I work for a large corporation where there is an iOS bias towards bringing your own device. I look at my iPhone as a necessarily evil. I went into customization shock when I first started using iOS! I couldn't believe all the simple things I couldn't do without jailbreaking the phone.....which I can't do because then the enterprise software would not run.

The situation of two devices doesn't really bother me though, I like have my business and personal life separated by more than a questionable software wall.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I use Windows Phones and iPhones as well as Androids, and enjoy all. For me it's not either/or. They're all interesting. :)

delmadan

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
For me it's all about the ecosystem. I love my Google ecosystem, but Apple's ecosystem of OS, nice hardware, and pretty UI is compelling. I'll never abandon my beloved android though.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used iPhone's since the 3 s. They're all boring!
I can't work or get much done with them as I do on Android.
And I still hold a very special place in my hearth for my webOS devices.

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge

fryeBE

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I think once you have a android first it's difficult to go to IOS. (My opionion)
It's easier to go from IOS to Android because IOS it's simple (& clean).

LukeCloudRail

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
One thing you need to consider when making the switch is that, if you switch back to Android (new job, etc) then you need to be aware of the iMessages problem. That is, it is possible that your messages won;t get through to other people after you have made the switch back to Android (a google search will bring up info on this)

(Although it's an old article, as the first one I saw, I know that this is a problem that still plagues many people)

Gen-Gon

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Have the same thoughts, but all in all: you can connect your flash device directly to your android device and watch video from flash for example. You can connect your android device directly to PC or laptop and upload or download files with no problems.

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I think once you have a android first it's difficult to go to IOS. (My opionion)
It's easier to go from IOS to Android because IOS it's simple (& clean).

Funny. I have yet to meet a single person in real life that went from iOS to Android. Quite the opposite, I know quite a few that have had Android phones before and at some point in time went to iOS. Myself included, although it has been six years now. Not saying that they don't exist at all it's just that I haven't met any yet. Most users don't care what they're using anyway, if you ask them they'll be like "Samsung"...

One thing you need to consider when making the switch is that, if you switch back to Android (new job, etc) then you need to be aware of the iMessages problem. That is, it is possible that your messages won;t get through to other people after you have made the switch back to Android (a google search will bring up info on this)

(Although it's an old article, as the first one I saw, I know that this is a problem that still plagues many people)

That "problem" has been solved long ago. I say "problem" because really it wasn't that big of a deal but more of a pebkac, a layer-8 problem if you will. Before you switch your SIM from an iPhone to an Android phone you simply disable iMessage on the iPhone and that's it. If you happen to forget there's an Apple website where you can remove your phone number from iMessage services as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress