Life after Pushbullet's paywall

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Wondering out loud if any other avid users of Pushbullet are shaking their head after the app put up a frustrating paywall on December 1st. I have been an avid user of Pushbullet since day one for two reasons -- responding to text messages on my Macbook and pushing content back and forth between my phone and Mac.

Normally, I am not one to complain about paid or pro versions of services. I understand that everything in life is not free, and I do believe that some services are worth paying for, but Pushbullet's pro version is shockingly expensive. $4.99 a month for this tool? AirDroid, arguably Pushbullet's biggest competitor, charges just $1.99 a month for their pro version--and their free version is just as full-featured.

Has anyone else made the switch to something else (or do you have any suggestions for sending SMS messages on my Mac)? Sadly, I'm stuck in a contract with Sprint--otherwise, I would've switched to Project Fi by now (trust me, the only thing keeping me from getting out from this contract is a cheap grandfathered unlimited plan) since I understand you can use the Hangouts-Google Voice client as a way to send SMS/MMS online.

Either way, I definitely think Google needs to invest in the infrastructure (or acquire a company like Pushbullet) and bring this much needed software to Android. And, fingers-crossed, in the form of a native client or Chrome app like iMessages that finally lets Android users send SMS, MMS, files, and photos across the same service.

obonaven

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I loved Pushbullet but deleted it on 12/1. I knew there would be a fee eventually but I kind of figured it was going to be a one time fee for new purchases (and possibly grandfather the existing user base. HA!). Or at the very least a much lower monthly price. Until a suitable replacement is found I just make sure I have my phone with me and use email, NAS, etc to copy content between devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae