How many Android phones without file managers?

d7v7d

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
How many no file manager phones?

How many smartphone users with a phone without a default file manager never installed a file manager app? (Thus not addressing those phones with default file manager's.)

This last weekend set up my new moto g as a first time never ever smartphone user. One thing that made it a bit awkward was a lack of a file manager. The phone has a micro SDcard slot so until I figured out various Android basics, I structured the folder in the card directly in my desktop pc card slot before putting it back into the phone. I had a lot of documents and information I will want to access with my phone including the user manual for the phone itself. Then went online and searched on "Why some phones have no file managers" and read various speculations. As someone in Silicon Valley hi tech electronic hardware several decades I can just shake my head and chuckle. Am well aware most of what many people probably do with their phones doesn't require file management. So not looking for a discussion of whys here as have read a few but rather am CURIOUS,

How many folks here never bother to install a file manager app?

Certainly all the more computer savvy users will install an FM app but what about all the other phone users?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer that there is no preinstalled file manager on my Moto X Pure Edition and Nexus 7. Stock Android does not include any file manager, but that is fine with me, since I'd rather install the file manager of my choice from Google Play, rather than having one preinstalled that I don't like and need to root in order to remove it. My file manager of choice is Total Commander.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Marshmallow includes a very basic File Manager.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
As smart phones become more PC-like, there's no getting around the fact that your phone's OS needs a file management system. iOS and Windows Mobile users can argue all they want that they don't need a file management system because it's just a phone, but in my opinion the fact that Android can manage your files is just one of the many reasons why it's the superior mobile OS.