Class action lawsuit against sprint!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
not all of us sign a new contract, some buy our phone at full price to not be locked into a contract

Not to sound crass...but in that case, Sprint's defense will be that you knowingly purchased a 4G phone in a non-4G market, or knowing that there is a $10 "premium". I'm not trying to sound like a smart guy, but there's no way these lawsuits are going to last. Not in my opinion.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Not to sound crass...but in that case, Sprint's defense will be that you knowingly purchased a 4G phone in a non-4G market, or knowing that there is a $10 "premium". I'm not trying to sound like a smart guy, but there's no way these lawsuits are going to last. Not in my opinion.

I am not arguing here, just making a point. I have much better thing to do with my time then piss and moan over $10 a month. I have gotten mail in the past regarding class action law suites against sprint. The only class action suite I have been a part off was against a bank I got like $300 and it took a year to get it lol

If people truly want to waste their time with this they must have no life of be bored. They are not magically going to get their hard earned $ back

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am not arguing here, just making a point. I have much better thing to do with my time then piss and moan over $10 a month. I have gotten mail in the past regarding class action law suites against sprint. The only class action suite I have been a part off was against a bank I got like $300 and it took a year to get it lol

If people truly want to waste their time with this they must have no life of be bored. They are not magically going to get their hard earned $ back

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be argumentive or anything myself. I just seriously doubt this lawsuit is gonna go anywhere. Who knows, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but that's just my opinion on the matter. :)

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be argumentive or anything myself. I just seriously doubt this lawsuit is gonna go anywhere. Who knows, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but that's just my opinion on the matter. :)
No Worries man!

constructive criticism is always welcome, well on my part anyways lol :)

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
get what you pay for .. period

Come on now, what is the difference, if the sticker on your car said 100 mpg and you got 1 mpg you would be pissed. My phone says evo 4g and talks how bad a$$ it is because of the 4g. If the phone is outdated before 4g is even attained in my market then the phone should not be sold and advertised in this market. Also, I had a pre previously to having an evo and was charged a "premium" fee when I got an EVO. There are clearly some ambiguity in the law here in advertising measures, and a lawsuit will clear these up. You people need to go back and do some basic legal reading to see how class actions proceed and the nature at which they are prescribed.

welp i dont know much but i did a little college work years ago about laws. Since Verizon is charging me 30 a mth for a data package for my Fascinate unlimited data then that is what i expect and they also promised 2.2 froyo update soon so they said.. but now i am running about where i wanted to be so alls well now with that,. now when they tried to charge me $30 for moma's plain jane i jumped right iin and they stopped that charge right then and there because she doesnt have a smart phone. all she needed was one to keep in touch with me etc or whom ever.

but case in hand, if the sales personal say to you that you will get this or that , then you have a verbal contract which in most cases leaves you out on your own. But if you have enough people say they were told the same story about getting a service then the verbal can be translated to solid contract because it was not a single event. i feel if one pays for something he should have it.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You're right...IF there is evidence of salespeople promising 4g in non-4g areas on the exact same specific date that has already passed with 4g still being unavailable.

A bunch of different salesmen saying "oh we'll have 4g here soon!" is too vague to constitute a verbal contract.

Same goes for OS updates.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
But Chris, you look like a smart guy! lol

Yeah, Sprint said the charge was for smartphones, not 4g. This case isn't going anywhere. I wish Sprint would give us more options though...

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I hardy see that 200-300 bucks over the course of a 2 year contract is compelling reason to say Sprint is a better value. Maybe might have been a landslide victory without this stooooopid 10$ "we need to pay for our 4G rollout then re-rollout LTE fee".

I understand why consumers feel duped at the end of the day, but like the general consensus this wont stand up in front a jury of 12 peers. No way.

melissae68

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
all i know is i currently have an unlimited data plan and have had it for over 2 years. i can't change terms of my agreement whenever i feel like it. but if i'm switching from one 3g android phone to another,why should i pay more? i was told just yesterday that if i use my $150 off to change my sons phone from a 3g samsung moment to a 3g lg optimus that i would incur a $10/month fee.i was told by the representative at the east windsor store in connecticut that it was because people are using so much data out there and also sprint needs to update their towers to support all that data and 4g. i just switched my other sons same exact phones on december 27th and i'm not being charged $10/month on his line. on my line, on january 9th, when i went from a moment to a evo shift i was told it was because i was upgrading to a 4g. i don't have 4g yet but was promised it would be here by years end so based on that information, i did agree to the $10/month on that line. if they get away with it then your talking up to $600/year for someone like me who has a total of 5 lines on my contract. i myself do have a 6th line on my friends contract. that more than makes up for the $150/line they give every almost 2 years as an incentive to upgrade.
it's deceptive and unfair and whether or not the sprint representative was personally wrong in what they told me is not my problem, i never received anything in writing anyway. can we say 93a?

Last edited:

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
All these idiots had to do is change to a competitive metered option.

200MB included with any base package
5 bucks extra for for 500MB
10 or 15 extra for the unlimited.

Simple.

Instead they go with the everyone pays equal regardless of their use model. Not fair.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
all i know is i currently have an unlimited data plan and have had it for over 2 years. i can't change terms of my agreement whenever i feel like it. but if i'm switching from one 3g android phone to another,why should i pay more?

Because you're signing a new contract. They aren't changing your current one.

it's deceptive and unfair and whether or not the sprint representative was personally wrong in what they told me is not my problem, i never received anything in writing anyway. can we say 93a?

You can say 93a or whatever you want.... but that doesn't make it so. The fact that a new contract has different terms than your old one is simply not the basis for legal action. They are still cheaper than the other carriers, but if you're that angry, you can switch and pay more.... but I'm not sure what that would prove.

melissae68

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
then why wasn't i charged the fee when i simply switched from one 3g to another in december, but now in march they want to charge me for the same exact switch. they originally only charged lines upgrading to a 4g phone and now that they have been made aware that they can't do that because so many people being charged for "premium data" don't actually have premium data (4g service), they are going to do it on all phones with sprint id and say its for that, they do it on androids and say its for that, they are doing it on the palm pixi and say its because its a palm. It's right on the website. I even have an email from back in december from dan@sprint.com that says:

" I explained that the $10 Premium Data fee is not a charge for 4G
>service. The launch of the 4G capable phones signifies a shift in the
>data features and services that Sprint is able to deliver customers
>today. With this shift, customers will have higher data usage on both
>the Sprint 3G and 4G networks. This richer data experience requires
>Sprint to allocate additional resources to its data networks to
continue
>to provide an optimal data experience for all customers. The $10.00
>premium data add-on is intended to help cover the costs associated with

>these additional resources and will only be assessed on customers who
>have purchased devices capable of taking advantage of this robust data
>experience. "
What richer data experience am I getting when number 1 i don't have 4g in my area yet (suppose to by years end though) and number 2 going from a 3g to a 3g isn't any richer. this email was from december 7th. i switched my sons 3g samsung moment to a 3g lg optimus on december 27th with no extra charges. now, i'm going to get charged for the same exact switch on my other sons line?
"higher usage" does not equal a "richer" experience. it just means more usage. you know like unlimited data usage like my plan is suppose to be. my experience isn't any richer than it was back in december of 2009 when i bought my first 3g phone. not until i have 4g anyway and even then, it will only be on my 4g phone. Is it a new contract because I haven't received a new contract, just a new commitment date. it's an extended contract.
I'm not making this up, i consider myself to be at least of average intelligence. wrong is wrong. of course i felt great that i had such a great deal on cells. i even bragged and convinced a few people to switch. but come on. don't sell me unlimited data for an agreed upon price and then sneak in an additonal fee.

melissae68

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
oh and i'm not sure that i'm "that angry", whatever that means. i'm just venting and sharing my experience. after all, that's what forums are for. :)

Eurali

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the $10 charge was for unlimited data. All of these foolish class action lawsuits need to stop. The sticker on my car lists the EPA MPG @ 25 MPG and I am only getting 18 MPG. It is time for me to file a law suit. People just need to stop.

Yes let's just keep letting corporations take us for fools, adding on pretend "service fees" and take all our hard earned money. Let's us just keep pretending that we are the greatest country in the Universe and that we don't change anything about how we function. Because our top 1% money holders care about the middle and lower class. Sticking our heads in the sand for the win!!!!!!

Reactions: backbeat

Eurali

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Come on now, what is the difference, if the sticker on your car said 100 mpg and you got 1 mpg you would be pissed. My phone says evo 4g and talks how bad a$$ it is because of the 4g. If the phone is outdated before 4g is even attained in my market then the phone should not be sold and advertised in this market. Also, I had a pre previously to having an evo and was charged a "premium" fee when I got an EVO. There are clearly some ambiguity in the law here in advertising measures, and a lawsuit will clear these up. You people need to go back and do some basic legal reading to see how class actions proceed and the nature at which they are prescribed.

Thank you!!! Glad to see a post that makes some damn sense of this issue

RGolz3

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My original problem with Sprint began with the 3rd party charges on my bill that doubled and sometimes tripled the monthly charge I had contracted with them for. My calls were met with repeated refusals from Sprint to disclose to me the source of these charges.

I recently needed a new phone due to the loss of my old phone. I currently had a messaging everything plan. Sprint listed very clearly on their website the phones that would need a data plan. I chose a phone that did not require a new data plan. Upon receiving the new phone I tried to activate it and was informed that I needed to purchase a data plan. After an hour on the phone I was promised that my call had been escalated and I would receive a call back from upper management. I waited a week before calling back. After another hour on the phone I was offered a $10/month credit for 6 months for my trouble and was told that the corporate business unit was waiting to take my call. I was transferred into someone's voice mail. I left a message explaining my situation and waited another 4 days for a call back. When I didn't receive a call I called again and was told in a very rude way that I could no longer return my smart phone because it was more than 14 days since I received it and that if I wanted to talk to anyone at a higher level that all previous offers of credits or being able to return the phone would be off the table. It was an outright threat to stop trying to to resolve the billing and service problems I had been having, or else.

I am investigating a class action lawsuit against Sprint. If anyone else has had a similar experience with Sprint please contact me at rgolz3@gmail.com.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
the iPhone is 3g and has to pay the premium data fee. Case closed. The charge is not for 4G.

The only people who come out ahead with these class action suite are the lawyer's. They make multiple millions while the users get there bills raised so the company that was sued can pay the lawyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy