Gmail vs Inbox - Your Preferred Email App?

anon(9057135)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
(For GMail Users)

Which do you prefer?

The Original GMail app, or Inbox (By Gmail)?

Personally, I prefer Inbox. I hear some people abousetly hate it though. And others think it's a big improvement.

So which side do you stand on?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Gmail vs Inbox - Your Preffered Email App?

I tried Inbox for about 3 days and like you say, hated it. Went back to GMail in a jiffy. I don't know, I like the idea behind it, but I don't like that many features of GMail as an e-mail client didn't make it in. It felt like a half-baked product with a cool back-end idea at the time. I haven't tried it again, TBH.

Why do you prefer Inbox?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I could never stand the Gmail app, so I kept trying different ones. One of the older Samsung Email apps was good for a while, then they "updated" it to uselessness. I'm using K9 now - it's the least bad one.

anon(9057135)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

I tried Inbox for about 3 days and like you say, hated it. Went back to GMail in a jiffy. I don't know, I like the idea behind it, but I don't like that many features of GMail as an e-mail client didn't make it in. It felt like a half-baked product with a cool back-end idea at the time. I haven't tried it again, TBH.

Why do you prefer Inbox?

I prefer Inbox because I LOVE the Organization without using Labels :) When I switched from Outlook, I found that Labels (why cool) aren't folders and that If I tagged an email as a label, that It wouldn't appear in my Inbox. Where as Inbox shows you all your emails are catogoized :D I also prefer Inbox due to how it handles purchases and profile pictures (I don't like the Letter Profile Pictures in Gmail)

I also love how Inbox (On the web) is Material designed. It makes reading Email feel way better IMHO

anon(9057135)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

I could never stand the Gmail app, so I kept trying different ones. One of the older Samsung Email apps was good for a while, then they "updated" it to uselessness. I'm using K9 now - it's the least bad one.

I don't use K9 because I thought it's UI is outdated and design matters to me, But I do know that AA recommended it so I tried it and found that it doesn't work for me

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Inbox.... All day.

Gmail gets overwhelmed with the emails that come in. Inbox's ability to categorize is lightyears beyond gmail.

If you only get a small amount of emails, gmail will probably do you well. But as that load increases, gmail falls flat on its face, even with labels.

ecksmc

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Inbox is best, depends on what you use and how you prefer your inbox to look, inbox for me is best because I can work with labels and add new labels have each label alert me at right time and I like all my mail to be together in there labels in my inbox gmail app was messy for that and you could only manage labels on web gmail not via app

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

During the brief time that I played around with Inbox it was really nice. Ultimately I had to switch back to GMail because .edu addresses aren't supported by Inbox still

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have inbox. I like it.....on mobile. However, on the desktop I prefer gmail. Gmail seems easier to manage for me, inbox while simpler, at times feels crammed.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I have inbox. I like it.....on mobile. However, on the desktop I prefer gmail.

Yeah... If they ate going to replace gmail, they'll need to fix inbox web, enhance it. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the app like it is now. Gmail on both sides looks completely different.

stellarowl12

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Gmail all the way, the regular inbox app doesn't have the same bundling that Gmail does. I deleted Inbox right after I left my company (they made me use that)

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site

Tried inbox but I couldn't get used to it, it felt to busy for my taste. So I went back to the regular Gmail.

Posted via the Android Central App

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

I've tried Inbox when it first came out and quickly deleted it again after only a few minutes of usage. The reason for this being that I somehow didn't get what it was doing to my perfectly organized inbox and how whatever it was that it was doing was supposed to be any better in organizing my stuff than I am myself. Then, after a couple of months I gave it another shot and once again, Inbox and terminated our relationship prematurely on a rather sad note with an important message disappearing for good (most likely a bug). Today, I have started my third and final attempt hoping that we'll get along this time now that Google has had enough time to iron out the most disturbing bugs and optimize and fine tune the gyst of Inbox.

Bottom line is: I still don't get it, and I think I know why. Attempting to use Inbox with the set of experiences with and expectations from handling emails one has collected and nurtured for years and years will inevitably result in a horrible user experience. If I've learned anything at all during my two previous attempts it's that in order to use Inbox one has to rid oneself of decades of experience and start with a blank and unsoiled mindset.

Even so it seems weird to me to organize messages in bundles, or to consider a message or conversation to be "done". Since I've never used Gmails archive-feature but rather kept my own set of folders (or rather labels, as they are called in Gmail) to prevent clutter I know I have to get used to it first. Bundles seem an odd yet faszinating way to organize messages and I'll definitely try to get used to them and make the most of it. Snoozing seems like an interesting idea but I very often keep messages in my inbox, usually starred, that I still need, such as flight or hotel bookings, correspondence with a person or group of people, etc. That won't work in Inbox anymore and I'm not sure how to work around this, or rather how to solve this. Maybe someone can give me an idea since this time I'm really keen on giving it an honest and lengthy shot. I'm currently on a RTW trip and have plenty of time to take it all in yet I highly depend on certain messages and the information stored therein, such as flight details, schedules, etc. I really hope I won't regret this experiment at some point ;-)

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I used Inbox for a while, but the swiping gestures are a little choppy in regards to their animation. So I switched to Outlook for all my email accounts minus work. I use Cloud Magic for that.

Since leaving Gmail and Inbox, I've been a happy camper.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary