nexus 5 (NIB) VS Moto G 3rd gen

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I can purchase 1 or the other for $200. The nexus 5 is 16gb. The moto g is also 16gb. Not ideal space but both are a great backup for my note 4, and it allows me the opportunity to try vanilla android. Which one is worth purchasing?

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's a tricky decision. If you were after a daily driver I would go for the Moto G as Sacto said. For a backup device I'm not so sure, it'll depend on which specs you prefer. A Nexus is a Nexus and if you want to play around with pure stock, root, flash and such things then there's not a better choice.

Tell us about your preferences on this backup phone so we can give you a "better" opinion :)

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not looking for anything particular. I want to dabble in something a little smaller (Android wise, I have an iphone 6 for work), and want to try a more pure android. I dont want to spend much as i have the note 4.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not looking for anything particular. I want to dabble in something a little smaller (Android wise, I have an iphone 6 for work), and want to try a more pure android. I dont want to spend much as i have the note 4.

Then I would go for the Moto G, without a second thought. Great value for money and the SD card is going to make a difference for you. I'd recommend you to buy the model with 2gb of RAM and 16gb of storage, better performance for a bit more money.

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably biased because I have one, but I can't say enough good things about the Moto G 2015 (get the 2G RAM/16G storage model). It may be a "boring" phone in that it doesn't have any flashy features that jump out and because it's "only" 5", but it gets the jobs done without any fuss, it just works, a lot like a Bulova watch or such, and has continued to do so after the Marshmallow update as well. I like the "active display" that senses movement from removing it from your pocket etc and has the clock appear, making it easy to unlock the phone without pressing the tiny chiclet power button. This also makes it easy to see some of the notifications without having to go through the whole unlock process.

Depending on your lifestyle, you just might really appreciate the water resistance. I can't imagine getting another phone without it. I once, while galavanting outdoors during nasty weather, got my jeans really nasty so I took them off outside and sprayed them down with the hose, then threw them in the washing machine. About 5 minutes into the wash, with the washing machine's tub now full of water (hence the jeans were in a full immersion state), I remembered--oops, I left the phone in the pocket. I took it out and dabbed it off with a towel. It was working. The only problem was the audio was weak, but once it fully dried out, even that was fully restored, and that was within 2-odd hours or so. Also, the phone had been exposed to a fair amount of moisture being in those pockets while I was out and about in the rain, as well.

EVERY phone should be like that. Compare that to a ZTE phone I had, the Grand X Max Plus, a 6" monster I paid almost $300 for a year ago. I was doing much of the same thing, in dry weather, but fell into a large mudpuddle, fully immersed, on a dare by my 11 year old nephew. I got out the puddle quickly, took the phone out of my pocket--too late. It was ruined for good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress