[Running list] Best budget phones from $160 to $250

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Continuing on my budget phones thread here are ones that I think are worth mentioning in the $160 to $250 range.

OnePlus X - $249

OnePlus decided to come out with an even lower cost phone that has some great specs for a budget phone. The phone looks great and feels pretty great in hand. For US customers make sure that you know that it is missing band 12 for T-Mobile and 17 for AT&T. i did not notice any LTE issues when I was using the phone on Cricket but some people may see drop in LTE coverage if they buy this phone. The display on the phone was pretty great. It is hard to find a budget phone that has a Active Matrix OLED and not an LCD screen.

OxygenOS, Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.3GHz
5.0 inch OLED screen 1920*1080 pixels
2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Micro SD up to 128GB (not included)
8.0MP front camera, 13.0MP back camera
Support Network WCDMA, GSM, FDD-LTE;Support GPS, Wifi, bluetooth etc

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-OneTouch-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display/dp/B0118EWIXS/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346463&sr=1-4&keywords=alcatel+idol+3&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4976460]ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 4.7[/URL] - $176

Featuring Award-Winning JBL Audio by Harman IDOL™ 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience! With dual front-facing JBL stereo speakers IDOL™ 3 packs professional audio quality to the palm of your hand for true-to-life sound.
IDOL™ 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor™ Color Enhance technology giving the IDOL™ 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand.
Pocket Perfect Form Factor: The IDOL™ 3 (4.7) is designed to be slim and compact for a first class user experience.
Powered by an Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 processor the IDOL™ 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity to help keep up with your fast paced life. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming.
Break free of carrier contracts with the award-winning IDOL™ 3. Recognized for delivering a high-quality crisp viewing experience slim elegant design and unique features like a fully reversible user-interface the IDOL ™ 3 has all the features.

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-OneTouch-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display/dp/B013T5ISN8/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346463&sr=1-5&keywords=alcatel+idol+3&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4976460]ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 5.5 [/URL] - $249

Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers). Unlocked cell phones will not work with CDMA Carriers like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin
True to life music featuring JBL audio with award-winning JBL audio, IDOL 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience. With dual front-facing stereo speakers, the IDOL 3 packs professional audio quality for true-to-life sound.
IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience. Get a clear view of your pictures and videos from any angle, even in direct sunlight
IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophilic with a full-featured camera application, including time-lapse, HDR, panoramic and manual mode
Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor, the IDOL 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-3rd-Generation-Unlocked/dp/B00ZQVSKS2/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346765&sr=1-6&keywords=moto+g&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4976460]Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) 2015[/URL] - $179.99

Advanced water resistance
13 MP camera which includes a color-balancing dual LED Flash
5" HD display; Brilliant display quality and the strength of Corning® Gorilla® Glass
Quad core processing power in a great value product
5MP rear camera with a VGA front facing camera
Great 24hr battery performance with a 2470mAh battery
Expandable memory; Slot for an optional mircoSD card with up to 32 GB capacity.
4G LTE Speed; Browse, stream music, watch video, and play games at blazing speed.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nice write up. Of the three, which would you suggest to someone? taking price, performance, and overall use into account?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll avoid mentioning Swappa, eBay auctions, and Craigslist since those are mostly for used phones.

From $160 to $250, I've used the Honor 5X ($200). Solid device with what I feel are forgiveable quirks at that price.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No more than $300. I'm also picky about not having a "big" phone. Band 12, for at least data is very important for me at work. At the moment, the Nexus 5x is winning, aside from the size of it.

If Band 12 on T-Mobile is important, I'd stay away from the other midrange phones.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
If Band 12 on T-Mobile is important, I'd stay away from the other midrange phones.

Thanks for the advice! My work sucks with the connection there. To be honest, I'm not sure if it is a band 12 thing or a lack of AWS thing, but I have a Windows phone with band 12 that holds as well as it can at work, and I'll like to copy that. I'm pretty sure I will get the 5x now, just a matter of deciding where to buy it from.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) 2015 - $179.99

5" HD display; Brilliant display quality and the strength of Corning® Gorilla® Glass
4G LTE Speed; Browse, stream music, watch video, and play games at blazing speed.

And at this point, I believe non-carrier models of the Moto G have Marshmallow now.

Last edited:

GeorgeCorrs

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Continuing on my budget phones thread here are ones that I think are worth mentioning in the $160 to $250 range.

OnePlus X - $249

OnePlus decided to come out with an even lower cost phone that has some great specs for a budget phone. The phone looks great and feels pretty great in hand. For US customers make sure that you know that it is missing band 12 for T-Mobile and 17 for AT&T. i did not notice any LTE issues when I was using the phone on Cricket but some people may see drop in LTE coverage if they buy this phone. The display on the phone was pretty great. It is hard to find a budget phone that has a Active Matrix OLED and not an LCD screen.

OxygenOS, Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.3GHz
5.0 inch OLED screen 1920*1080 pixels
2GB RAM 16GB ROM, Micro SD up to 128GB (not included)
8.0MP front camera, 13.0MP back camera
Support Network WCDMA, GSM, FDD-LTE;Support GPS, Wifi, bluetooth etc

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-OneTouch-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display/dp/B0118EWIXS/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346463&sr=1-4&keywords=alcatel+idol+3&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4984915]ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 4.7[/URL] - $176

Featuring Award-Winning JBL Audio by Harman IDOL™ 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience! With dual front-facing JBL stereo speakers IDOL™ 3 packs professional audio quality to the palm of your hand for true-to-life sound.
IDOL™ 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor™ Color Enhance technology giving the IDOL™ 3 a vivid cinematic color experience right in the palm of your hand.
Pocket Perfect Form Factor: The IDOL™ 3 (4.7) is designed to be slim and compact for a first class user experience.
Powered by an Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 processor the IDOL™ 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity to help keep up with your fast paced life. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming.
Break free of carrier contracts with the award-winning IDOL™ 3. Recognized for delivering a high-quality crisp viewing experience slim elegant design and unique features like a fully reversible user-interface the IDOL ™ 3 has all the features.

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-OneTouch-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display/dp/B013T5ISN8/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346463&sr=1-5&keywords=alcatel+idol+3&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4984915]ALCATEL OneTouch Idol 3 5.5 [/URL] - $249

Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers). Unlocked cell phones will not work with CDMA Carriers like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin
True to life music featuring JBL audio with award-winning JBL audio, IDOL 3 brings an amazing on-the-go music experience. With dual front-facing stereo speakers, the IDOL 3 packs professional audio quality for true-to-life sound.
IDOL 3 has been specially tuned for leading color and image innovation through Technicolor Color Enhance technology, giving the IDOL 3 a vivid cinematic color experience. Get a clear view of your pictures and videos from any angle, even in direct sunlight
IDOL 3 comes packed with a 13MP main camera and wide-angle 8MP front camera that will excite even the most passionate photophilic with a full-featured camera application, including time-lapse, HDR, panoramic and manual mode
Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor, the IDOL 3 delivers ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity. Get lost in stunning HD video and console-quality gaming, made all the more realistic with 5.1 surround sound

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-3rd-Generation-Unlocked/dp/B00ZQVSKS2/ref=sr_1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1454346765&sr=1-6&keywords=moto+g&t=androidcentral00-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4984915]Motorola Moto G (3rd Generation) 2015[/URL] - $179.99

I want to gift a phone to my friend. And my budget is not higher than $200. Among this list which one should i buy?

GeoShifter

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I bought a cheap android china Phone and I love it. I payed under $100 for a fast octa core with 8Gb rom and 2Gb ram.
The camera works good and the battery lasts for around 3 days with normal use.
I got a 2nd battery and flipcase included

I was not sure about buying a china phone (without brand) but after 2 months of using it I love it