Is 2 GB of RAM enought for multitasking in business environment?

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Now, I have iPhone 5s 16 GB. It works great, but I hate its limitations - syncing only with iTunes, sending/receiving files via Bluetooth with other iphones only, 40s long own ringtone etc. I'm so confused. I pay huge prices and I get gadget with limited features. So I'm thinking about switching to Android and Google's eco system.

The most important question for me is:
Is 2 GB of RAM enough for multitasking in business environment? I mean switching between mail client, Word document and browser. In iOS, I can easily do that without any lags or freezes. I expect the same situation on Android. But I don't know which smartphone is for me. Galaxy S6? HTC One M9? I'm lost :(.

I hear that working on smartphone with Android and 2 GB of RAM isn't comfortable, especially when the phone is Galaxy S5/S6.

May someone confirm this sentence?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google's apps on iOS are good enough to be productive on an iPhone, IMO.

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5s to and am looking to jump back to android. From what I have read 2GB is useable if not doing gaming or graphic intensive stuff, but 3GB is supposedly better. Eyeing nexus 5x but not sure based on reviews and forum comments about lag.
Waiting to see how others reply to this question. Good luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're using email, phone, texting, small apps with small documents, 2GB is enough. If you're trying to edit a 500 page Word doc, no phone or tablet has enough RAM. There's no stock answer - it depends on the amount of RAM the combination of apps, working on the combination of documents you're working on, needs - and how fast the phone is. (Android will kill an app if it needs the space to run another app - only 1 app can be the foreground app at a time, even if 2 or more are showing on the screen. Switching with a really fast phone is almost unnoticeable.) So you may find a particular too limited, but someone else running business multitasking may find it more than adequate.

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I can say this is true since I am using many of the Google apps on my iPhone 5s, but some have issues with lags and locking up. That said, if I recall correctly some of them don't have all of the features available to an android user. Another issue for me at least is having to install on top of all the iOS apps resulting in app duplication which is an issue with memory management.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The M9 isn't much of an improvement over the M8. If a lag free experience is your primary concern, then I'd suggest a Nexus or the Moto X Pure.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
My S5 can multi task very well except on using browsers. So 2GB of ram is enough unless you do some heavy browsing, gaming. But i recommend you to get a phone with at least 3GB of ram.

A phablet is perfect for business stuff. Like the samsung note 5.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
My S5 can multi task very well except on using browsers. So 2GB of ram is enough unless you do some heavy browsing, gaming. But i recommend you to get a phone with at least 3GB of ram.

A phablet is perfect for business stuff. Like the samsung note 5.

Posted with ❤Love❤
Ohh no, I don't like phablets and big displays. My ideal size is 5".

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Ohh no, I don't like phablets and big displays. My ideal size is 5".

LOL...you're in the land on Android giants! Us small phone users are out of luck for the most part. I'm waiting for a couple of smaller (supposedly) offerings, I've heard the GS7 will be "smaller" in size, the G5 also is rumored to be "smaller" too. While not small enough for me hopefully they're easier to use than my current G4. I'd give it a wait if I were you, the MWC later this month will help give you an idea of the direction of some of the Android lines.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
2G of RAM is a lot more than people seem to realize. I currently own a Nexus 6P... the phone 'only' has 3G of RAM. But it's up and running... a few browser tabs, some apps, services... Inbox, Outlook, a few tools. If I check the running services, I am still showing 1.2G free memory and a LOOOOOONG list of running applications in the Recents/Overview window (I use the Recently app to clean out any closed out applications from that list).

Now, if you have some extremely RAM heavy applications/games running, that'll limit the headroom, of course. But that goes for every phone out there. And for a business environment, does it matter if you can't run Asphalt 8, Clash of Clans and your work stuff? Probably not.

Now.... Samsung is a bit of an outlier... They traditionally are extremely aggressive with memory management.... For the most part, in Android, free memory is wasted memory, but Samsung seems to take a kind of N-1 approach, where if a phone has 4G of memory, they treat it as if it has less than 3G of RAM. That's why a Note 5, which has 4G of memory, can't support as many running applications as my 6P, which has 3.

There is a great little RAM guide, written by our illustrious Ambassador Team Leader, Golfdriver97. You can find it here : [Guide] RAM and Android

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Google's apps on iOS are good enough to be productive on an iPhone, IMO.

Yes, and if you want a small high quality Android, an iPhone 5s makes a pretty good one, given the very small choice among Android devices at the present time.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... i suggest you to wait for the S7. You like small flagship phones? grab a Z5 compact if you can live with 720p display.

Posted with ❤Love❤
Get blackberry priv. It has 3gb of ram,gorgeous screen,sd card (I have 128gb in mine) and awesome PHYSICAL keyboard. Stock android with few blackberry Impfovements. Not like touchwiz which is memory, power hungry. The best phone for Business Environment.