Android is #2 in the US

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that Android is now the #2 most used smartphone OS in the US just behind the iPhone.

This according to the Dec 2009 metrics from AdMob.

Of Interest:
Apple iPhone had 46% market share
Android OS had 36% marketshare
(USA, Dec 09)

Android's rise in the US is stunning... take a look at some of the older market share numbers:
August 09 - Android 13%
September 09 - Android 17%
December 09 - Android 36%

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Very impressive indeed! I think Apple & AT&T have become a little too smug when it comes to the competition. It seems they think they have the winning device no matter what anyone else does.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
These are not market share numbers; they are the share of web browser traffic on mobile devices, which is something different. I'd be very, very surprised if either the iPhone or Android has passed the market share of Blackberry. Not that BB is better, but I think that they are still selling more of them in the US.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Not surprised Android's marketshare is rising fast. With the release of the Moto Droid in November it's evident that the Droid has helped make Android the next best smartphone OS.

I would also consider the Moto Droid to be the #2 smartphone in the U.S. behind the iPhone. Blackberry might be falling to #3 in smartphone & OS. I don't know it's a tough call because Blackberry is a more business oriented OS.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it will be interesting to see what happens if apple matains the At&t exclusivity when they release the next mobile device, be it iPhone, iPad whatever. Google's edge will come not only from android, but from the ability to get the same awesome device on multiple carriers. It is definitely shaping up to be an interesting year in the mobile realm.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The real numbers are in, and Android is actually number 5. Saying that, market share doubled in a singe quarter. However, the figures are:

RIM: 41.6 (down 1.0)
Apple: 25.3 (up 1.2)
Microsoft: 18.0 (down 1.0)
Palm: 6.1 (down 2.2)
Google: 5.2 (up 2.7)

However, Palm just added the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus to Verizon as well this quarter, so Android may not pass the Palm OS/Web OS combination just yet. Microsoft would really need to crash hard to be caught in the next few quarters.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I can see RIM, Apple, and Palm above Google in market share, but not Microsoft! How is that? I can see Google steaming past Palm and Microsoft in market share by the end of this year.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
The thing to consider too is that they are factoring all those Centro users too. That's sorta like how they figure Motorola as far as "cell phone" manufacturers is still staying ontop with their old crappy RAZR's. Or look at RIM, if you take Curves out of the picture then RIM is getting slaughtered by Apple.

We have a lot of outmoded junk crapping up statistics still. A perfect example is what peripheral manufacturers went through over the past ten years for PC's. They looked at strictly marketshare for the longest time and then the Mac userbase got royally pissed off and stuck to the manufacturers that catered to them. The industry eventually got smart and started to look at sales.

Sales share was where the $$ was, and that's a reason we're seeing several iPhone apps popping up in the Market. The Droid is still selling quite briskly, there's money to be had there. If not money, then users at least.

Anyone have the latest sales data? I think until the quarter is over we're not going to see any hard data.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't believe WinMo has that high of a percentage of market share. Mindblowing. The OS was okay a few years ago but it hasn't really progressed. Who keeps buying these phones?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't believe WinMo has that high of a percentage of market share. Mindblowing. The OS was okay a few years ago but it hasn't really progressed. Who keeps buying these phones?
Because these people haven't replaced their phones yet. I don't know a single person who has purchased a WinMo phone in the last year, though I do know some who still have them on contract.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
People that need flawless Enterprise integration. Don't worry, they will come around.

I agree. For business purposes, there are things about WM that still makes the device a little better than the rest IMHO. Mostly having to do with the way they handle messaging and built in spell checking capabilities. There are also some great hardware alternatives out there as well. It doesn't really matter because the WM as we know it is totally going away and will be more of a consumer play a year from now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa