Android Device Manager - why can't the system keep monitoring lost device automatically?

schicco

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I "lost" my device (Tab S 8.4 SM-T700) on March 14, 2016. I have been trying to locate it using "Android Device Manager", and whoever took it has been using it online until today. I just checked today and what I got is "Location unavailable. Last online March 24, 2016". Does this only work when I manually check myself and hope that by some chance I and the thief can be online at the same time? There is no way for the system to keep monitoring for the thief to get online and then execute whatever commands I selected?
Thanks
Steve

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I "lost" my device (Tab S 8.4 SM-T700) on March 14, 2016. I have been trying to locate it using "Android Device Manager", and whoever took it has been using it online until today. I just checked today and what I got is "Location unavailable. Last online March 24, 2016". Does this only work when I manually check myself and hope that by some chance I and the thief can be online at the same time? There is no way for the system to keep monitoring for the thief to get online and then execute whatever commands I selected?
Thanks
Steve

Welcome to Android Central!

They probably turned the device off. Just so you know every time you do a locate there is a notification on the device that says "Device has been located". I would assume the would be thief has noticed this and decided to turn it off and or put the device in Airplane Mode.