Any recommendations for replacing Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition?

mearle

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for replacing galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition. An associate of mine is looking to possibly purchase my Galaxy Note for $350.00. I have enjoyed for the time that I have had it for. I wanted to know if $350 was worth and so are their any tablets out there that are excellent replacement for it or should I keep.

I've mostly used the tablet for general use, web, magazine & comics and some random games and movies. I will say with new tablet becoming lighter. sometime reading on is a little uncomfortable especially after using my kindle. And I guess since everyone making a wacom based stylus the S-pen features of sketching are dead I guess.

Anyhow here a few of the tablets I am considering.

Samsung S2 8 inch version
Nvidia X1 (I'm on the fence as the form/size reminds me of the nexus 7 which I wasn't a fan of)

Also I managed to pick up a ASUS zenpad 8.0 s for $100 ( was this worth the price)

Thanks in advance

mearle

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
So you think it's not crazy to get rid of the Samsung Note 10.1 2014? I just figure the longer I hang on to it the more it will depreciate you know.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on what features you use it for. For me, until they come up with a10" tablet with the equivalent of the s-pen, I'd hold on to it. If you don't need that, and feel you must have something newer, go for it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't there is anything else out there? Do any of the S tablets support an S-pen
If the S tablets have the special Wacom digitizer layer, they will. If not, then no. You could try an S Pen on one of the S tablets in a retail store. All the Note devices have this special layer and I was wondering the same thing at one time, but never really looked into it too much.

By the way, I don't know how old your tablet is or when you bought it, but if you can get $350 for it, you'd be doing very well. On Amazon (depending on carrier or international version), you can get a new one for $419. I bought my unlocked T-mobile from Amazon for $356 brand new from the same vendor that now sells it for $419.

mearle

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
See that's other thing. About the Galaxy that it comes with Wacom technology. The Tablet is still in excellent condition. It's wifi version. Which honestly isn't much of concern to me if it was a network or wifi version. This guy easily hands down would give me $350.00 for it. And then I got this Asus Zenpad for $100 bucks. It was used but works great and looks great.

Which I was looking for something compact to use with my Bamboo Spark. And something that wasn't as heavy as my Galaxy Note 10.1.

Hmmm I guess maybe I should keep it as is seems that there is nothing better on the market in the Android department.

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Obviously it depends on your usage requirements, but the Tab A 9.7 with S-Pen could be a candidate. It is light and I guess the 8" version is even lighter. The resolution is nowhere near the Note 10.1 and it doesn't have the same processing power but is quite bit cheaper.

mearle

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Does the Tab A 9.7 with S have the same wacom technology? Yeah it's really interesting that samsung hasn't quite created something like the Note 10.1

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Does the Tab A 9.7 with S have the same wacom technology? Yeah it's really interesting that samsung hasn't quite created something like the Note 10.1

Yep, the Tab A does have S-Pen. But the 1st gen model. The Tab A 2016 lacks S-Pen.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
It would really be nice to get an android tablet with usb-c, wacom active stylus and microsd. Please someone make it happen!

Im sure samsung will do this on the tab S3. There are chances of the Spen added to the tab S3 because the Tab A 2016 lacks S-pen support. Or maybe the rumored Tab E will have micro sd, S-pen, and usb C.

Posted with ❤Love❤

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If I could get $350 for my Note 10.1 2014 I would JUMP on it. I'd then go grab a Pixel C to replace it. I don't use the S-Pen all that much so it's not a big deal to lose it, but the device itself is a VERY nice design.

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
There are two 2015 Tab A 9.7's, one with S-Pen, SM-P550, and one without, SM-T550. There's also a 4G version of the one without S-Pen, SM-T555. They were released in July 2015.

There was also 8.0" versions of the "without S-Pen" model.

The 2016 version is a 7.0" model and is also "without S-Pen". I not sure I'd call it 2nd generation as the internals and display are only a minor upgrade over the 2015 models, it's more just rounding of the range of screen sizes.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... going from the Note 10.1 to a Tab A 9.7 seems like a downgrade of major proportions to me. Lower resolution/pixel density screen, less ram, worse camera, plus other stuff. Not to mention the 9.7 isn't much smaller than the 10.1 in terms of screen size or physical size. Unless there's some other factor the Tab A would be better, I think you're better off just keeping your 10.1.

GSMArena... Tab A 9.7 specs
GSMArena... Note 10.1 2014 specs

ADRz

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The A 9.7 has a much lower resolution than the Note 10.1 and, of course, this resolution affects substantially what one can do with the S-pen. However, the direct replacement of the Note 10.1 is likely the Note Pro 12 and the 12'' inch Win10 equivalent (Tab Pro S). I am almost certain that for typical 2:1 tablet/keyboard hybrids, Samsung is likely to maintain the Note Pro 12 for Android and the equivalent running Win10. Both of them are "stylus" 2:1s with S- Pen in the Note Pro and with a windows stylus for the Tab Pro S. Personally, I do not like the 12'' inch size and I think a lot of users feel the same, which is why Apple released the 9.7'' iPad Pro afte rthe 12'' -inch iPad Pro ran out of steam. It is possible that the Apple move may provide some encouragement to Samsung to release an update for the Note 10.1 with likely a Win10 equivalent.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It is possible that the Apple move may provide some encouragement to Samsung to release an update for the Note 10.1 with likely a Win10 equivalent.
This would be good, except for Win10. And yes, even at 9.7", it would grab my interest... but only after my 10.1 dies! :)