I'm so glad this is no longer a thing...

Purple Zebra

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So I've owned 2 Sony phones. One of the big selling points of them, at least in their marketing, is 'waterproofing'. They were one of the first doing it, but as is often the case, first ≠ best.

View attachment 225258

The first attached pic is my OG Xperia Z. Loved the phone, hated the flap. After a year, the rubber seal on the flap broke and prevented it from closing properly, this making the only benefit of said flap useless, and making it even more annoying. I eventually just ripped the seal off entirely.

The second pic is my current phone, an Xperia Z3. Again, love the phone, hate the flap. And guess what? Yep, the seal is broken again. So once again, it's no longer water proof, and annoying as hell.

I'm so glad this is no longer a thing. The newest Sony phones and phones from the likes of Samsung are waterproof and have no flap. HOORAY!

My Z3 is still under warranty (not from sony) so I might be able to return it or trade it in, we'll see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 77627.jpg
    77627.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 49

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yep, i hated the flap on my S5. Glad samsung and others found a way to removed the flap but still keep the water ressistant.

Posted with ❤Love❤

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Good Luck on the trade-in / replacement. The downside to waterproofing is they are not easy to service or repair. Many of the glues, adhesives and double sided adhesive gaskets used by the manufacturers use to seal out water need to be cut away and discarded in order to access the insides. Its not easy re-assembling everything back together to OEM water resistance spec.

Hopefully something as simple as a trap door gasket can be easily replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12