Is There an App That Plays Music Without Eating Data?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Now that the weather is warmer I'm more tempted to go for walks and jogs. I don't have a music library and was wondering what the best way was for me to be able to listen to music while I was out on my jog. Any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Without a library of tracks that you can store locally, you can use the Play Music app to cache "stations" to your phone. I'm not entirely sure how that works. Bottom line is that without an FM radio capability or any tracks you can copy to the phone, you don't have a whole lot of offline listening capability.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Maybe you can find an MP3 recording app that will record audio from a www radio stream station? So you would have one long recording to bring with you.

I have no interest in podcasts at all, so I have zero first hand experience with it. there may be a downloadable solution for you in the podcasting world.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others said you will have to download from somewhere which usually requires a subscription to Google Play Music or Spotify or something of that nature since music has to be DRM protected (or bought).

Other than that you can use FM if you have a phone with the capability.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If your carrier allows it, and your phone has the FM circuit engaged, the Next Radio app will allow you to tune in to local FM stations.

In fact I am 100% positive there is a downloadable solution that will physically work for you in the podcasting world. My cousin downloads podcast shows all the time and plays them back from his SD card media storage on either his phone or Sandisk MP3 player. Question then becomes one of content... and if you can find what you want to listen to.

My FM radio of choice is this Insignia HD radio that I have had for years. I'm an avid music listener and I used to listen to a live weekly FM show that specialized in progressive rock and jazz fusion. Not sure if anyone still makes HD radios today, probably not. I still use it every once in a long while, still works just fine. To my ears HD radio (at least this one) sounds better than many highly compressed www radio stations I have tried.

0511160948_HDR_zpswlpipgcq.jpg

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I know Google Play Music will let you pre-cache "stations" for offline listening, if you pay the $10/month.

Spotify appears to allow downloads for offline listening.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.spotify.music&hl=en&token=dqUfoFmz

Spotify Premium features
• Play any song, any time on any device--mobile, tablet, or your computer
• Download music for offline listening.
• Enjoy amazing sound quality.
• No ads – just uninterrupted music.
• No commitment - cancel any time you like.

Hoopla does not appear to, if this is the one you're talking about: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.hoopladigital.android&hl=en&token=Mj8-occg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know Google Play Music will let you pre-cache "stations" for offline listening, if you pay the $10/month.

Spotify appears to allow downloads for offline listening.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.spotify.music&hl=en&token=OYchlA1g

Hoopla does not appear to, if this is the one you're talking about: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.hoopladigital.android&hl=en&token=jK_dfF1L

Yep Google Play Music and Spotify allow it as long as the subscription is active.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I tried a few different apps and I found an mp4 downloader. I think I may reactivate my Sirius Satellite Radio.

Posted via the Android Central App

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hoopla does not appear to, if this is the one you're talking about: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.hoopladigital.android&hl=en&token=S8kYLRH3
That is the correct one. It kind of does. Let me try to explain it quickly.

First, Hoopla is connected through your local library. The original link has to be created there so it may or may not be available for your (and/or the OP's) library. Your best bet is to go to your library's website and see if they have an "online/electronic" library section.

That aside, when you borrow an album (you can only borrow albums for a week at a time, but you can borrow the same one as many times as you want but 12 times max in a month for everything borrow), you have two options. The first one is to stream it online. The second option is for you to download it to your device. It's very similar to Spotify in this aspect (as in offline playback is available once you open the app). It will automatically return the album the day it is due. Also no ads, it's pretty cool.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you can find an MP3 recording app that will record audio from a www radio stream station? So you would have one long recording to bring with you.

I have no interest in podcasts at all, so I have zero first hand experience with it. there may be a downloadable solution for you in the podcasting world.

I've been converting my music to MP3 to put on my Ipod Classic.

As for podcasts, those are free AND readily available. You just need to find what you're interested in and go DL load them, and transfer them to your phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been converting my music to MP3 to put on my Ipod Classic.

As for podcasts, those are free AND readily available. You just need to find what you're interested in and go DL load them, and transfer them to your phone.

Google Play Music can now do podcasts, and automatically download the most recent 3 episodes of the casts you identify.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non