Googles Naughty List - OEM's that don't update Android... Good or Bad?

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Apparently Google has put together a list of OEM Phone Manufacturers that run Android and ranked them as to how well they keep the phones updated with patches and the latest version of OS. Who do you think would be poorly ranked? Motorola, Samsung, LG?

I read in some news reports that they had put this list together and sent it to all the OEM's, but have not released it to the public.The intent is of course is to Shame them into doing a better job of keeping their phones updated.

The question I have is, why isn't this list already public? I buy 1-2 year old flagship phones and I have do some digging to find out if the ones I want are updated, what version of Android, is there going to be future ones, and does it stop on a version that is dangerous. Case in point, I bought a NEW Moto E on a spur of the moment buy 3 weeks ago for a good work field phone and come to find out, Motorola has already abandoned it.

Phone Manufacturers need to be held responsible and they should hold up to their promises. Remember the "Android Update Alliance" Google announced that everyone promised to do update for at least 18 months? Now it is forgotten.
Should Google go on the offensive and give the OEM's a Bad Reputation in public. Does it matter to anyone? I mean it matters to me and I think I should have a right to know when I buy a phone if the OEM has a reputation for abandoning phones.

Does anything think Google will actually make this list public??

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since most people replace their phones every 21-24 months, 18 months is a good interval. But just updating to update is a waste of time, money and resources. You update software when it becomes outdated - usually, in a phone, that means an exploit that can compromise security. You don't update the phone's software to keep it current with a phone 2 models later.

So if there's no exploit, you're not going to see an update. And you may not see an update for a flagship phone if a new version of Android comes out.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Since most people replace their phones every 21-24 months, 18 months is a good interval. But just updating to update is a waste of time, money and resources. You update software when it becomes outdated - usually, in a phone, that means an exploit that can compromise security. You don't update the phone's software to keep it current with a phone 2 models later.

So if there's no exploit, you're not going to see an update. And you may not see an update for a flagship phone if a new version of Android comes out.

I understand what you are saying. But there are hundreds (if not thousands) of security threats that never make the news, but the phone should still be updated to protect against them by the OEM's. I think this is Googles point. You don't know how serious a security threat is until it is too late.

As too new Versions of Android type updates, I think if a phone is less than two years old, it is the responsibility of the OEM's to update it. That is my opinion of course.

With what 7-8% of devices running Marshmallow and we are on verge of N, I think that is pretty bad. Bottom line, if PC's had this kind of update pattern, our world would be over run with viruses and stolen data. Smart phones are taking over, so if things don't change soon, it is going to get ugly. When you experience identity theft for yourself like I have, you might feel different. So for me, I think Google needs to use whatever tools available to make these OEM's be responsible. Even if it is public shame.

code2solutions

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Well it's not just the OEM's. In the US, carriers have the authority to release or not release updates. IMO, they do not need to have that type of control anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Phil just posted a good article on AC regarding this topic: From the Editor's Desk: Fix you | Android Central

Excerpt:

Or it could be for Google to "shame" manufacturers into releasing updates more quickly. (Never mind how to ensure quality, in that case. Or in what world it makes sense to **** on the companies that use your operating system.)

Totally agree with Phil.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad