Anybody use the Cortana app for android?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Just curious if anybody has tried the Cortana app for android yet......and what they thought of it. I read that microsoft had made it with less features than their windows phone versions, just curious how well it was working on android. Thanks for any feedback :)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't, but I didn't really use it much on Windows Phone either.

I do like Google Now (typing, rather than talking) because it gives me useful information like traffic jams on highways and where I parked my car.

rocknrollover

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
To bad cartana voice command only worked on their high end phone I'm spoiled with OK Google.
For me no I haven't tried Android version no need really.

Posted via the Android Central App on my ZTE Zmax 2

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Actually Cortana came on all windows phones running 8.1. We had their 50 buck entry level phones with full Cortana.

I really miss that Cortana would read my incoming texts, and give me the option to ignore, call, or text back all through my bluetooth. It was a very handy feature for me to have my phone do everything by voice, because I'm on the move alot, and fighting a phone in and out of your pocket all day long gets old. Plus much more chance of dropping or losing your phone (I've done both) ;)

If there's a way to get my android to read incoming texts and announce callers I would be a VERY happy camper lol ;)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I use it when I use Android all the time. It;s very easy for me, having my interests saved across for when I switch and all. They are updating Cortana though, and from what I read, there is something big possibly coming to it. Notifications shared across all devices, just for Cortana on Windows Phone and Android...not iOS.

Skip to the bolded section...Solved: Android or iPhone for the Windows Guy?

Vince_MccrayT

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know how to make cortana open links in an external browser? It seems like this is the only way to get Cortana to navigate through the maps app rather than through its internal browser.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
With the Cortana app on your android phone and Win 10 computer, you will see your text, messaging app notifications, and whatever else you decide, to pop up in the action center. And yes I use the Cortana app on my phone

Erik Read

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I use Cortana on my phone and my PC. Discovered today that not only do I get notifications from my phone displayed on my PC (including texts) but I can respond to texts on my PC (they are pushed to Cortana then to my phone where Cortana has access to send SMS). I also used Cortana on iOS but it is no where as integrated as this.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm a Windows 10 user -- and a big fan of Windows 10 as well. Jury is still out for me on Cortana. I downloaded the app but I must admit I'm not really sure how to use it. But then again I never used Siri and I don't use OK Google either.

The ability to do SMS via Cortana sounds intriguing. But I'm not completely sure how it works. I'm not a huge texter so I haven't sorted it all out. Ideally the SMS via Cortana and my Windows 10 would only be helpful if it worked when my phone is off which is how Imessage worked, but I don't think it works that way. Hopefully Allo will worth that way as the Apple guys have really hit one out of the park with Imessage.

I do use the Moto voice function though (I have a Droid Turbo 2) but only to call folks. I like the ability to say, call "Bob Jones, mobile" and then it does it's thing...

blakeperez

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Had it on my phone for a day. It chews up battery power like nobody's business just sitting in the memory. From 100% to 15 in 10 hours. Are you kidding me? And that's on Note 3 Lollipop 5

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I use Cortana on Android, but I don't really use the voice commands all that much. The big reason that I use Cortana is to be able to see my phone notifications on my Windows 10 laptop. That is very convenient and it works fairly well now that Microsoft has worked out the kinks with it.

I'm not entirely sure how feature complete Cortana on Android is compared to the WP app, but I would have to guess that they are very closely aligned in terms of feature set. This would definitely not be the case with iOS, since Apple places heavy restrictions on what third party apps can do.

But I'm very satisfied with my (limited) experience of Cortana on Android.

fgol

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I use Cortana to send a text message, it acts like it is going to do it: contact number is correct, message is correct. When I tell it to send, it shows up in my messages log as going to "Anonymous" - it creates a text conversation thread for Anonymous and shows the message there, and the intended recipient never gets it nor does it show up in the text thread for the recipient. Anybody else see that?

Samsung S8

fgol

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I use Cortana to send a text message, it acts like it is going to do it: contact number is correct, message is correct. When I tell it to send, it shows up in my messages log as going to "Anonymous" - it creates a text conversation thread for Anonymous and shows the message there, and the intended recipient never gets it nor does it show up in the text thread for the recipient. Anybody else see that?

Samsung S8

I looked all over and no one else seems to have this problem. I think it might be related to the AT&T Messages app. I tried installing the Google messages app from the Play store, but the AT&T one still gets in the way. I tell Cortana to text someone, send the text, and it responsd with sent. It shows up in the Google Messages app under "Sender unknown", the person does not get the text, and the AT&T Messages app adds it to the Anonymous text conversation.

This happens even after I
- Changed the default text app to the Google.
- Force stooped the AT&T Messages app.
- Took away every permission fron the AT&T Messages app.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually Cortana came on all windows phones running 8.1. We had their 50 buck entry level phones with full Cortana.

I really miss that Cortana would read my incoming texts, and give me the option to ignore, call, or text back all through my bluetooth. It was a very handy feature for me to have my phone do everything by voice, because I'm on the move alot, and fighting a phone in and out of your pocket all day long gets old. Plus much more chance of dropping or losing your phone (I've done both) ;)

If there's a way to get my android to read incoming texts and announce callers I would be a VERY happy camper lol ;)

Sorry, old message, but spot on. Only thing I miss from my L950 (RIP, mudhole drowning). I have a 640 laying around, but I hate carrying two phones, and I had to switch back to Android for work e-mail. It's still tempting to carry the 640 JUST for texting/calling while on Bluetooth. Just f;ing works.

zzCANUCKzz

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I had used my Cortana on my Lumia 1520. It worked great, but for one fatal flaw, it only worked using the mic in Canada. In the USA, one was not required to press the mic button. One only had to say 'hey Cortana' and it activated, even behind the lock screen. Neither SIRI nor GOOGLE did this. Often times, I set up my Lumia to believe I was in the USA to take advantage of this. Problem is, when the phone is turned off, then back on again, the settings would revert back to Canadian settings, thus disabling the full Cortana capabilities.
I miss my Lumia 1520. Far more efficient than Android. I am getting used to Google Assistant though. It is most impressive indeed.

zzCANUCKzz

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, old message, but spot on. Only thing I miss from my L950 (RIP, mudhole drowning). I have a 640 laying around, but I hate carrying two phones, and I had to switch back to Android for work e-mail. It's still tempting to carry the 640 JUST for texting/calling while on Bluetooth. Just f;ing works.

I bet you miss how effing easily it was to hook your WindowsPhone via Bluetooth and move files around on your phone, yes? My bloody LG G4, a newer flagship phone, cannot do what my older Lumia 1520 did with the greatest of ease.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, file management, especially hooked to a PC was much easier on the 950 compared to my S7A. But honestly, when I was using the 950, I was always back and forth between it and my old S5A, because of stuff I was missing on the 950, and lag on the S5A. Since I've gotten the S7A, I haven't gone back to fire up my 640 at all. But like I said, so tempting for the actual texting/phone use with Cortana. S-Voice and Google Assistant don't compare, IMO