Thinking about switching back to the iPhone, but not for the reasons you would think of...

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
So after having my S7 for a while now I love it to death and the Android OS, but unfortuanely all the newest flagships are only shipping with 32gb, yes they have SD cards but most dont have adoptable storage and apparently SD cards fail all the time. The iphone 6s plus I can get with 128gb on only have to pay a 300$ down payment. This does make me sad but and I hope samsung and others will go the Galaxy s6 route and just stick with high internal memory options.

No I cannot get a nexus 6p, I would have to pay full price on it unfortunately. I really love my s7 but im already out of 32gb and the SD card without adopt storage barely clears up any space. Shame on these manufacturers for offering only USELESS 32gb :(

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
It really boils down to two things.

1. Do you think switching to IOS /iPhone is the most economical way to get reliable phone memory in the size you want?

2. Do you care which OS you use on your phone? (I really like using Android and no longer enjoy IOS, others feel differently).

If you answer “yes” to both, then switching is a good choice.
If you don’t think it’s economical, or you don’t particularly want IOS, then it’s not.

Frankly, I’ve only had one micro SD card fail in about four years –and I had that one backed up so it was not big deal.
I think a high quality mSD card would solve your problem for a lot less than $300.

But, your decision is about OS preference and about hardware trust as well.

Good Luck!

;-)

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I do like both OS but I prefer Android for the customization..

The iphone 6s plus 128gb would only be a 300$ down payment for me on T mobile so it would be more economical. Both the HTC 10 and the G5 only have 32gb :(

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi yogosans14: No worries the Samsung officials, who monitor this AC-Forums will
take note of you concerns. From my standPoint of view 32 GBs is good enough

For most light users in fact I'm using only 10 GBs from my SGs7..But Yes I agree
with you that "Samsung goes backward" When it comes to increase the
Phones memory. That's why never can beat its competitor-Hehe! :cool:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason you "need" adoptable storage? If I need space I will just get an SD and slap it in -- put all media on that and keep apps / other things on the internal.

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I dont think you seem to understand my point, I have a lot of large games and apps installed. It only moves a certain percentage of the apps to the SD card while most remain on the internal storage so after moving most of the apps its only clear up about 1-2gbs...still useless.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Seems like a legit reason to me. SD cards only go so far, since theres only certain types of file data they can (or are allowed to) accept. This was one of the main reasons I chose an LG V10, where 64G is standard. I was hoping to see others follow suit... Nope. Either way, if you want internal storage its going to cost you. The manufacturers and carriers know this. Kind of like fixed batteries (albeit with a finite lifespan), its an aspect of the forced obsolescence in todays consumer electronic designs.

More storage is ALWAYS better than less. Don't let the carriers fool you on this one. They will try and convince you to give up your $$, on the basis of what they say you need.

Good Luck though... I am not a fan of iOS or the apple ecosystem, IMHO thats too much of a penalty. I would probably have a different opinion if my LGV10 weren't 64G

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, adoptable storage will act as internal storage so you can move all apps and files to the SD card

I don't think thats true at least not outright. There are some apps that won't (or won't be allowed to) transfer over to SD, even if its been made adoptable.

yogosans14

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't say that... with the SD card, there's still a lot of bulky files and file types that do not need to clutter internal memory.

Still cant compare to a 64gb or 128gb internal storage which I would never mange to fill up fully if it was 128gb. Shame on Samsung for limiting us to 32gb...the phone is already 700 freakin dollars -___-

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say that... with the SD card, there's still a lot of bulky files and file types that do not need to clutter internal memory.

Still cant compare to a 64gb or 128gb internal storage which I would never mange to fill up fully if it was 128gb. Shame on Samsung for limiting us to 32gb...the phone is already 700 freakin dollars -___-

You can fill up 32/64 GB with apps? Or do you mean media and apps? If it is the second I get it .. But you can store photos/videos you take to the SD card and also movies there. Keep apps on internal and you shouldn't have an issue if you do it that way.

Also .. If you're keeping media on anything (internal or not) I would always back it up online. My phone auto backs up to Google anytime I am on WiFi (only when I am home pretty much) and charging.

Norlene Aranda

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a legit reason to me. SD cards only go so far, since theres only certain types of file data they can (or are allowed to) accept. This was one of the main reasons I chose an LG V10, where 64G is standard. I was hoping to see others follow suit... Nope. Either way, if you want internal storage its going to cost you. The manufacturers and carriers know this. Kind of like fixed batteries (albeit with a finite lifespan), its an aspect of the forced obsolescence in todays consumer electronic designs.

More storage is ALWAYS better than less. Don't let the carriers fool you on this one. They will try and convince you to give up your $$, on the basis of what they say you need.

Good Luck though... I am not a fan of iOS or the apple ecosystem, IMHO thats too much of a penalty. I would probably have a different opinion if my LGV10 weren't 64G

What do mean by a penalty?

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What do mean by a penalty?

It was just my choice of words to describe (in one phrase) my general preference for Android over iOS and my dislike of iTunes as a music management + data-sync suite.

To follow up on the other members commentary... I still find SD card storage very useful, even though Android can not completely move apps 100% to SD. Files like movies, music, pictures (non-executable program) I find better to be left out of internal memory. Of course the best scenario would be giving the end user the option / choice... 128-256G internal AND an SD slot, but carriers and manufacturers are not giving us that.

Also, doesn't "cluttering" internal memory with movies, music, pics...etc have the potential to slow down the device?

Last edited:

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Wanting to say there was an issue with adoptable storage in that if the phone treated the card like internal storage, when you removed the card the phone would have issues? Am sure someone will correct if that is wrong.

Know there were some articles about it in Feb/March & found one from here in April. Though have not read through it all.
8 things to know about the Samsung Galaxy S7's SD card slot | Android Central

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
apparently it seems like the easiest/cheapest solution would be to buy an actual good branded sd card. not a no name cheapy just bc it was on sale for 9 cents.

invest in a better sd card and make sure to back your phone up all the time because...life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci