Google to stop supporting Nexus devices with Updates after a few years of release...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Google has begun listing when they will stop supporting Nexus devices - Android Authority

So it looks like they will only support a Nexus phone with updates for a short amount of time (2-3 years after it's initial release. Weird part is for Nexus 5 LG, It says October 2015 as cutoff date but I just got another Security patch update a few weeks ago.

I find this to be disturbing though. They should never truly stop security and other updates on their true OEM system. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
First off, the title is extremely misleading. Google's own table says 'No GUARANTEED Android Version updates' (emphasis mine). The Android Authority page conveniently forgets to post that line, turning their title and article into click bait fear-mongering.

Plus, looking at past Nexus devices, while they may not be guaranteed updates, Google's been very good at updating the devices as long as they're capable of running the latest Android versions (just like Apple does with their iPhones).

The Android Authority article and title are extremely misleading and doing nothing but promulgating misinformation, something that the Android Central article is doing as well (especially with their almost word for word title reprint from Android Authority).

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand. I saw another story about this on another Android news site so I figured this is really happening. Just concerning if so.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
click bait fear-mongering
Agreed. Sadly the "spin" is tried-and-true practice even for newspapers of record: Ya gotta get da mugs ta read foist, see!

Regardless, I still want to know why the Nexus 6 was left off the list. Clumsy oversight? Covering up the exception that proves the rule? Updates til Larry Page's cars fly? What?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Sadly the "spin" is tried-and-true practice even for newspapers of record: Ya gotta get da mugs ta read foist, see!

Regardless, I still want to know why the Nexus 6 was left off the list. Clumsy oversight? Covering up the exception that proves the rule? Updates til Larry Page's cars fly? What?

Ha-ha true that. That's why I was confused by this because my Nexus 5 is already years old and I'm STILL getting security patches every month. Unlike these sites that say I shouldn't be anymore. So I was just lost on this. Thought maybe Google was trying to just put a ploy out there to have us always buy a new Nexus when one is released if we truly cared about updates.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Security updates will be guaranteed for 3 years, major OS updates for 2 years. So the Nexus 5 having a date of 2015 means it's date for security being guaranteed is 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke