Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech Best Android Phones as of Q2 2016
Best Android Phones: Q2 2016

Best Phablets
Note 5 and Nexus 6P
(It’s unclear why the S7 Edge isn’t here)

Best High End Phones
Galaxy S7 and HTC 10
(If the S7 Edge was missing from the Phablet section, this is where it should go and that’d knock the HTC 10 off the list)

Best Mid Rnage Phones
OnePlus 3
(Honorable mention to the Nexus 5X was included)

Best Budget Phone
Huawei Honor 5X
(Obviously this will be replaced by the Moto G4 in mid-July)

So…. When compared to AC’s list here: The best Android phones of 2016 | Android Central
Same names, different places although Anand didn’t list the G5, P9 or Priv (I’m not saying they suck, just that they weren’t mentioned); it seems like we have a weird way of classifying phones between big and little, expensive or cheap and devices like the OP3 really throw a wrench into trying to put these phones into separate boxes.

How would you rank the phones?

What’s the best huge phone?
The best little phone?
The best expensive phone?
The best value?
The best phone for those who don’t have two pennies to rub together 3 hours after payday?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Android devices. The only category about which I'd feel confident of offering an opinion is Best Little Phone, and that would be the iPhone SE. That's how woefully lacking in high-quality modern-spec small phones the Android world is currently. I don't have an SE, but I have a very nice Google Android iPhone 5s, or whatever it may be called.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am going to answer the last one........ If I didn't have two pennies to rub together.. I would go for a Blu phone. They have MANY choices under $100. some for as little as $50
Blu... Fine so long as you don't care about updates.
I picked up the Moto g 2016 for $125, Amazon edition. Moto isn't the best at updates but better than blu

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Android devices. The only category about which I'd feel confident of offering an opinion is Best Little Phone, and that would be the iPhone SE. That's how woefully lacking in high-quality modern-spec small phones the Android world is currently. I don't have an SE, but I have a very nice Google Android iPhone 5s, or whatever it may be called.
Z5 compact is probably the closest thing.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Best huge Android phone: Nexus 6
Best little Android phone: ?
Best expensive Android phone: 128 GB Nexus 6P
Best budget Android phone: 16 GB Nexus 5x
Best value Android phone: OnePlus 3

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I've never cared too much about these 'what's the best phone' questions, I just care about what's the best for my needs. There are amazing phones out there, no doubt, and I can understand any attempt to make an 'objective' ranking, but they don't work for me.

My needs are very simple, I want a dual SIM phone, with excellent battery life, good performance, a decent camera and as less bloatware as possible. Oh, and I don't like the feeling that I'm paying a lot of money for things i don't really need, or care. The good thing is that you don't need to spend a lot of money to be happy with a new gadget that check all these boxes. Thanks Android! :)

Anyway. If you have your preferences clear there are lots of choices to keep you busy deciding what to buy. For me, the 'best phone' right now could be the OP3.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For the penniless updates shouldn't be a concern... But the Moto G is a GREAT little phone
Well it isn't really about getting the latest, I would be ok if it at least pushed security updates (not monthly, but hopefully every few months). Of course if you don't care about security updates then blu would be fine.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Wht -- r .-.- th - - Bs..Phns: Humm difficult quiz for Phone's illiterates-Huha!
Try your best SamsungGs7-But what todo if my rivals beatMe out..Runn

Let's be serious on this matter : He're my unwise answers to Tequila-Oops! Equila
1) Best Phablets,.What's phablets. New slang for big screenPhones: No Xreply

2) Best High End Phones.. I gofor SGs7: HTC-10 >> no Fun of Asiatic-Phns
3) Best Mid Range Phns: 1 +3 = DoNknow-zero-reply

4) a) Best huge Phone. The bigger iSaw when got my SGs7 was SGs7-Edge: Bingo!
.. b) SmallerOn current yr. Put my 0.5 cents on iPhone SE : Fav of belodion..Rwe right.?

.. c) ThMore Expensive gofor iPhone 6-plus Noo which-1 ..6P wrong! :mad:
.. d) TheBst Value,.Clu-less : I know I've been disqualified 'cause..Introduced the
iPhone at the ranking contest. CruzefyMe but iPhone-Fans read the AC- too. SeeYa!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
What’s the best huge phone?
I vote for the Note 5
Although, if the GS7 edge is considered here, that'll be my option.

The best little phone?
Galaxy S7.
Maybe? I mean, it's not that little.

The best expensive phone?
Galaxy S7 edge

The best value?
GS7 edge

The best phone for those who don’t have two pennies to rub together 3 hours after payday?
Any phone given to them by a charity or someone, if any.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's my personal list.

Best phablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Nothing comes close in terms of how much you can do on it and how the software is built to take advantage of all that screen real-estate. Soon to be replaced by the Galaxy Note 7)
Runner-ups;
Galaxy S7 edge
Google Nexus 6P
LG V10

Best little phone: Apple iPhone SE (Potentially one of the most powerful small phones you can get, and a great midrange option to enter in the Apple ecosystem)
Runner-ups
Sony XPERIA Z5 Compact
2015 Motorola Moto G

Best expensive phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (Great design, awesome endurance, superb display, fantastic camera, divisive-but-very much improved software and a lot of features. Currently my favorite of 2016)
Runner-ups;
HTC 10
Apple iPhone 6s
Huawei P9 (yeah, I actually got to try one, and I actually liked it)

Best value: OnePlus 3 (Of course, at $399, we have to live with some compromises, but I honestly think that you're also getting a really great smartphone at that price.)
Runner-up
Moto G4 Plus

One of the $60 phones at the likes of Walmart or Target is actually surprisingly usable, even for a guy who has used nothing but high-end flagships as daily drivers.

Alright, here are my bonus lists;

The least-appealing value: Sony XPERIA X + X Performance (In a vacuum, these aren't bad phones, but at the price Sony is asking for in the US, which is $549.99 for the X and $699.99 for the XP, they don't really live up to their price-tag, especially since they don't do as much as the current crop of flagships, and in many cases, have inferior performance compared to said phones, which have been steadily dropping in price since their release)
Runner-up
BlackBerry Priv at launch

The most-controversial phone: LG G5 (Yeah, it was subject to a lot of debate when it was unveiled at MWC 2016 earlier this year, and things haven't been exactly rosy for LG. While the modular design was certainly innovative as an idea, many shunned its very implementation as a gimmick, and many have panned the "micro-dizing" finish as making the phone feel rather cheap compared to other metal phones, with questions over its durability.)
Runner-up
Motorola Moto Z (non-Force)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My list would look something like this:

Best Phablets (5.5” or larger)
1. Nexus 6P (barely edges out the S7 Edge IMO)
2. S7 Edge
3. Note 5

Best High End Phones (Flagships $400 or higher)
1. Nexus 6P
2. S7 Edge
3. HTC 10

Best Mid-Range Phones ($200-$399)
1. OnePlus 3 (Damn near a flagship at a midrange price)
2. Nexus 5X
3. Moto G4 Plus (64 GB)

Best Budget Phones ($199 or less)
1. Moto G4
2. Honor 5X
3. Moto G 2015

Best Little Phones
1. HTC 10
2. Galaxy S7
3. iPhone 6s

Best Value
1. Nexus 5X