The ole first post trick, sprint phone delima

detroitdice

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I've been lurking in the android forums for years, never had to post before since all of my questions were easily awnsered. However, I am stuck now.

I have been using the Samsung note series for the last 4 generations of the series and I am wondering if I should move on or stick with it. The last few days of research tell me that Samsung is locking down boot loaders, with the next note on the way, should I really stick around or just move on? I would love a device I can root and unroot without tripping an alarm or voiding factory service.... Stupid Knox... Triangle away doesn't work for my version.. Tried it.

I went with the note series because I have big ol man hands and the screen size fit well with my sausage fingers.

my current note 4, rooted, is just about at the end of its life cycle. It is now randomly shutting down, rebooting and freezing up. I have gone back to stock firmware, but my Knox has been tripped and well, there went my warranty repair. I could just call it lost and snag a new one from an insurance claim, for the same cost of an upgrade and 2 year contract renewal, but I figured I would reach out to the Internet first.

The criteria I'm looking for in a phone would have to at least equal the note 4, no point in stepping backwards... ease of rooting is a huge bonus. Side note, I am only rooted to run a program for my pioneer app radio, which enables full screen mirror and touch control from the head unit

App radio and ar unchained users What device are you using, or considering moving into?

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been lurking in the android forums for years, never had to post before since all of my questions were easily awnsered. However, I am stuck now.

I have been using the Samsung note series for the last 4 generations of the series and I am wondering if I should move on or stick with it. The last few days of research tell me that Samsung is locking down boot loaders, with the next note on the way, should I really stick around or just move on? I would love a device I can root and unroot without tripping an alarm or voiding factory service.... Stupid Knox... Triangle away doesn't work for my version.. Tried it.

I went with the note series because I have big ol man hands and the screen size fit well with my sausage fingers.

my current note 4, rooted, is just about at the end of its life cycle. It is now randomly shutting down, rebooting and freezing up. I have gone back to stock firmware, but my Knox has been tripped and well, there went my warranty repair. I could just call it lost and snag a new one from an insurance claim, for the same cost of an upgrade and 2 year contract renewal, but I figured I would reach out to the Internet first.

The criteria I'm looking for in a phone would have to at least equal the note 4, no point in stepping backwards... ease of rooting is a huge bonus. Side note, I am only rooted to run a program for my pioneer app radio, which enables full screen mirror and touch control from the head unit

App radio and ar unchained users What device are you using, or considering moving into?
Just my suggestion...

Nexus 6

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Samsung is making it harder to root devices. This can be seen as a double edged sword. Android has matured to the point where probably a good 90% of users don't need root access. A lot of things that needed root in good ol' 2.3 Gingerbread days are done right out of the box. If you remove rooting from the picture, there can arguably be less insurance claims for software failures (it's been known that people in the past have filed for warranty repair when they rooted a device), so from a profit standpoint, Samsung does have the right to do this.

Does it suck for some of us? Yup.

The other side to that scenario is, being unable to root can limit how you customize your device. There is no ability to add a custom ROM, or recovery, no apps like Titanium, Naptime, or Kernel Auditor. No Xposed Framework, no customizing the Nav bar (some OEMs are allowing this. HTC is one).

There are a lot of other devices out there. Some may be just as difficult to attain root. I think the Nexus devices should be able to run on the Sprint network....I could be wrong though.

detroitdice

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Sniffle..i miss the gingerbread days. I wouldn't even need root if pioneer got thier act together.

I think I have found my solution. Im just going to make an insurance claim for another note 4 to avoid the 2 yr contract. Re root for my app radio and then just upgrade to the 7 next year.

In the meantime I will be looking into the android sticks as a possible work around for the pioneer head unit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek