Factory Data Reset - I Object!!!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Everywhere I look, members here throw around a FDR like cookies...

Have a problem? No problem...FDR. Phone acting weird? No problem...FDR. Update is terrible? No problem...FDR. WiFi dropping? No problem...FDR. You don't like Daylight Savings Time? No problem...FDR. You hate the Dallas Cowboys? No problem...FDR.

You'd think it's as easy as pie, no big deal. Fact is that it is a big deal. My experience with FDRs is that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but every time they are a pain in the [removed]. Things wind up in the wrong places, some things go missing, there's quite a bit of work to get the phone set up as you had it in the first place...and is this all to "correct" a lousy roll out or implementation by Google/service providers/developers/manufacturers?

I hate it. I know Android is open source and there are plenty who have their hands in it, it's what makes it great and a pain at the same time but why does is fall on our shoulders to use this as a last resort? Is anybody else miffed by this? Phil? Jerry? Andrew? Alex? Ara? Russell? Maybe they've addressed this in some of their wonderful topics but I missed it.

There has to be a better way than always a FDR, I haven't tried clearing the cache partition, maybe I will with my next phone when it inevitably goes squonky. No...I don't expect an answer here because of the fractured nature of Android makes it impossible to pin down at times and is most likely the reason FDRs are such a prevalent recommendation.

This is one area Apple has nailed down...control of their ecosystem. Yes I know things aren't perfect over there and I have no desire to jump, in fact I'm taking delivery of a new S7 tomorrow and can't wait to see this gem.

Anyway...just blowing off some steam and wondering if anyone else dislikes the FDR thing like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I only do it as an attempted fix if there's nothing else I can think of, because of all the hassle involved. In fact I've only ever done it once for that purpose, and it did not help. Also, I lost my SMS texts, because I didn't realise they had to be backed up separately. But if I hadn't tried the Reset, I'd never have known whether it might help.

Incidentally I've only encountered one problem that was fixed by a Cache Partition wipe; I had tried a simple reboot before that, no go, so the success of the Cache wipe could not have been due to a rebooting effect.

I have to say however that I do rather enjoy all these things. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they suck. But if you took your phone to your carrier, they are likely to do it to troubleshoot. I think that's why it is suggested so often. It seems to be a thing that has the potential to fix hangups on most mobile devices. Even on Apple they have you restore from iTunes to troubleshoot. I personally suggest them because if it does happen to work, it saves you a trip to your carrier who would have done one any way! I totally get where you're coming from though!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What's the issue with them? I just reset, re-login, and then the phone re-downloads and my Launcher (Google Now Launcher) puts all the icons back. The worst is logging back into apps and changing a few settings.

It can be annoying but after a big update you'd be surprised how much a FDR can help solve issues. I recommend it for one reason... Would you rather troubleshoot a ton and then end up still having the issue or do a FDR and in an hour or two be back to normal? The time to troubleshooting ratio is way lower that way.. At least for me. Especially since Android matured to re-download and redo the home screens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There has to be a better way than always a FDR, I haven't tried clearing the cache partition, maybe I will with my next phone when it inevitably goes squonky. No...I don't expect an answer here because of the fractured nature of Android makes it impossible to pin down at times and is most likely the reason FDRs are such a prevalent recommendation.

This is one area Apple has nailed down...control of their ecosystem. Yes I know things aren't perfect over there and I have no desire to jump, in fact I'm taking delivery of a new S7 tomorrow and can't wait to see this gem.

Anyway...just blowing off some steam and wondering if anyone else dislikes the FDR thing like I do.

Also to comment on this.. Wiping cache takes no time. Like 5 minutes at most so that's step one always. It's quick and can help.

As for Apple... Apple has issues. Do you think they don't? They do.. And guess what is the only thing you can do to fix it since you can't wipe anything on the system or anything else? FDR ;).

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Interesting, I just got an email response from OP regarding the ticket I opened regarding the notifications issue. I opened it more as a vote to get it high in their "to do" queue, which I'm sure it already is anyhow, than to get an actual solution from support. The recommendation from support is to do a fdr. Maybe I'll not do that based on what I'm reading here.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Resets aren't a big deal to me. Most of my stuff is synced to Google, so it's a question of signing back into everything. My launcher? Import Nova backup, and I have to reset 4 widgets. The thing I have to really wait on is the redownloading of all my apps.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Question is should we have to FDRs as a result of lousy roll-outs? It's one thing for many of us to do a FDR, but if I asked others who own these phones what a FDR is they have no idea what I'm talking about. One shouldn't have to be a forum regular to get these devices to operate properly. Since many are not aware nor inclined to do a FDR they have to put up with lousy roll-outs right?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Question is should we have to FDRs as a result of lousy roll-outs? It's one thing for many of us to do a FDR, but if I asked others who own these phones what a FDR is they have no idea what I'm talking about. One shouldn't have to be a forum regular to get these devices to operate properly. Since many are not aware nor inclined to do a FDR they have to put up with lousy roll-outs right?

Does it mean it was lousy or something went wrong? As I stated before Apple has issues sometimes after major updates. Software is software and it won't install/go perfect on 100% of devices. Most people just do a reset without thought since it re-downloads and sets back up -- which Android does as well. To them that quick fix is worth it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just use FDR as a last resort if nothing else works.

Frankly, I personally don't find it as huge of a deal as before since my data is backed up onto Google servers and I also store secondary backups.

It's not an ideal solution, that's for sure. But sometimes, when nothing else works, it's what's left.

Axon 7!!

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Huh? I did a factory reset on my LGV10 after the MM update months ago and it went perfectly (knock on wood). I see it as a last ditch effort to fix things. IMHO its easier to do that than to make a reservation with the apple genius bar for an afternoon... and get bombarded with all their employee BS. "You should do all this and do all that in iCloud, iTunes, iThis, iThat". "Your 5C is a little old you should upgrade to this...." No thanks, just get the dam thing up and running so I can get the bleep outta here.

Having suffered... er been on an iPhone 5C for 3+ years, I can absolutely say I would much rather be in control of my own device, than having the apple borg collective doing everything for me. Have you ever actually been a part of the iPhone borg-drone collective for any period of time?... its no fun not being able to think independently and make your own decisions. Granted, Android has its restrictions too, but still its far better than Apple.

Side note... It puzzles me that people can't make their own choices anymore, how they are comfortable being told what to do by a higher authority.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Huh? I did a factory reset on my LGV10 after the MM update and it went perfectly. Its a last ditch effort to fix things. IMHO its easier to do that than to make reservation with the apple genius bar for an afternoon.

Having suffered... er been on an iPhone 5C for 3+ years, I can absolutely say I would much rather be in control of my own device, than having the apple borg collective doing everything for me. Have you ever actually been a part of the iPhone borg-drone collective fro any period of time?... its no fun not being able to think independently and make your own decisions. Granted, Android has its own restrictions too, but still its better than Apple.

If you're commenting on my post specifically then you need to read again. Nowhere did I say I want to be part of the collective from a phone perspective, but I did say they have more control over their ecosystem which is fact.

I'm glad your FDR went well, for others it didn't go well at all...I was one. I need every bit of info contained on my phone since it's my business so even losing a text can be an issue for me. Yes I back up but that still doesn't mean a FDR always goes smooth.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The point of my commentary is Apple iOS is not the solution, or at least its not a solution without major drawbacks. To present or even hint at Apple as a potential alternative, without citing the drawbacks could mis-lead others. Despite how rosy it may appear, there are penalties to pay for whatever benefit there is.

I was merely trying to elaborate on your statement "Yes I know things aren't perfect over there..." which I think totally under-states the enormity of it all. My attempt here is to hopefully provide insight from within, having fairly recently been in that position. (Don't get me started on the headphone jack omission). Apple at the core if its business philosophy, is center around eliminating choice to benefit the mother ship. They cleverly disguise the omission of choice as design enhancement, or some revolutionary new development.

Side note... I live 5-6 miles from Google headquarters and about 25 minutes from Apple headquarters in Cupertino. So I (being employed by another tech giant) get to rub elbows with a good cross section of the tech-employed population in the bay area. Having talked at length with family members, school parents, fellow boyscout parents, current and ex- employed by Apple. None of them can deny Apple is all about omitting choice... on many different fronts.

Last edited:

gammerthumbs

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Everywhere I look, members here throw around a FDR like cookies...

Have a problem? No problem...FDR. Phone acting weird? No problem...FDR. Update is terrible? No problem...FDR. WiFi dropping? No problem...FDR. You don't like Daylight Savings Time? No problem...FDR. You hate the Dallas Cowboys? No problem...FDR.

You'd think it's as easy as pie, no big deal. Fact is that it is a big deal. My experience with FDRs is that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but every time they are a pain in the [removed]. Things wind up in the wrong places, some things go missing, there's quite a bit of work to get the phone set up as you had it in the first place...and is this all to "correct" a lousy roll out or implementation by Google/service providers/developers/manufacturers?

I hate it. I know Android is open source and there are plenty who have their hands in it, it's what makes it great and a pain at the same time but why does is fall on our shoulders to use this as a last resort? Is anybody else miffed by this? Phil? Jerry? Andrew? Alex? Ara? Russell? Maybe they've addressed this in some of their wonderful topics but I missed it.

I've fdr'd an iPhone too so iPhones aren't immune. But I've had this Droid Turbo 2 for three months and haven't reset it. All of my Galaxy phones would of had a clean reset by now.

PS my mom's S5 which is well over 2 years old has never been reset even though I try and tell her it needs doing. It is so slow but all I can do is clear cache and clear unused apps.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I FDR my phones just for a change of pace. Kind of like getting a new phone, without having to pay for a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae