Nvidia Shield 2 tablet is CANCELLED!! :( The tablet market is pretty much DEAD!!!

ShaunAFC3

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
There is pretty much another nail in the coffin for the declining tablet market and perhaps we will never ever see a successor to the Shield K1 tablet after all. :(

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/11/nvidia-shield-2-tablet-cancelled/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/11/rumored-follow-nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-cancelled/

I am very very sad that that tablet market is dying and will pretty much be non existent and dead in about 5 years time just like the netbooks. :( :(

I really love tablets especially the iPads and definitely prefer using tablets as my computer then a laptop but I don't want to think that I am going have to use a laptop again in 5 years time because I really really hate using laptops, tablets are perfect for me!!

The tablet market is pretty much DEAD!!
So people What do you think about tablets like the iPads and Pixel C?? Do you still like and use tablets?? And Do you think tablets are dying and will be non existent and dead in about 5 years just like the netbooks?? I really hope not but it is looking that way at the moment with the tablets sales/shipments and growth declining badly!! :( :(

R.I.P NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET! :(

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use my Pixel C every day; the long battery life makes it a great companion to the Nexus 6P with a hotspot. The fourth N preview build serves it well, especially with multi-window support, but I'm thinking of trying out Remix OS soon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tablets aren't dead, it's just annoying to have one that I'm excited about cancelled. The Pixel C is a fantastic tablet; og NVIDIA Shield tablet was good for it's time, but it's 2 years old.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm more excited for the next generation of Chromebooks with Android App support.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No interest at all in tablets. I have used my relatives iPads and really don't see the appeal. MUCH rather use a laptop or a chromebook. I just prefer the laptop form factor with a dedicated keyboard, adjustable angled screen and touch-pad mouse pointer. What I DO like though is laptops with a touch-screen user interface. Love my HP on windows 10 for the touch screen. This says a LOT coming from a hard core macbook user of 7-8 years. For me, chromebooks (and laptops) with touch screen interface is where its at... not tablets.

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
People tend to use tablets for media consumption and to a lesser extent, gaming, which is still far more popular on phones. That being said, the SHIELD tablet was perfect for both, but not consumer-friendly in the slightest. You couldn't really buy it anywhere and the places where you could buy it, were selling it at exorbitant prices and tied to LTE phone service, not to mention the expensive accessories. Couple that with the design flaws in the tablet - battery life, heat, weight, etc. - and it's no wonder it isn't being followed up, especially with the upcoming Nintendo NX being a next-gen Tegra device. The tablet market in the US hasn't been dying so much as it has been contracting due to too many players in the market at the low-end and perfectly priced offerings from those who have big ties to content distribution, such as Amazon and Apple. Also, everyone is bying laptops and 2/1 models these days, so tablets are far more popular in Europe and Asia than they are here.

Dennis Piccioni

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised, we use our tablets daily and are looking to upgrade ours. Most people I know own one or more tablets, it's odd how few models there are and how infrequently new models come out.

Endia Sharpe

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah sux about tablet market.ive had a nexus 7 2013 for a couple years and it's showing its age now. Dont know what imma do. I love using tablet because it's light and I can watch videos and movies w/o worrying about using data on my phone. And it's just the right size. Might have to use my phone from now on. :/

Posted via the Android Central App

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
My venerable necus 7 has been dying for a while, and the Shield, if I could find it locally, would have been a worthwhile successor. I'm sad that the tab market is not more successful. 10" tabs, I get, if I'm carrying anything that big, I want a keyboard (so I want a convertible chromebook). However, I don't want to carry a 7" phone yet find 7-8" to be the ideal size for a media consumption tablet for use during lunch break at work/while travelling. Sad panda...

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
It's a little hyperbolic to say that tablets are dead entirely, but it is true that the market for Android tablets is in steady decline.
There were always be those that want Android tablets, but they represent a small portion of the Android user base.

The tablet market is not dead, as the iPad seems to do pretty well, but even then, we are now noticing iPad sales decline year-over-year. The tablet market in general is not performing well, and that is for a couple of reasons.

The first being that with the rise in popularity of larger-sized phones (The Note 7, the iPhone 6s Plus, etc.) has given people alternatives to tablets that give them the convenience of having a device always connected to an LTE network while at the same time still being able to fit in (some people's - mine included) pockets. This has created less incentive for normal consumers to buy tablets.

The second reason tablets are struggling is that the traditional laptop form factor has changed noticeably (with the exception of Apple's laptops). More PC laptops are now shipping in new form factors and more often include touch screens with them, giving the user the ability to have the multitouch they know from tablets and phones, now on their laptops. And on top of that, many consumers have figured out that tablets (often) don’t solve any big need or problem in their life that a larger phone or a multitouch / convertible laptop wouldn’t solve for them.
Between these two reasons, Android tablets are struggling.

And of course it never helped that Android tablets never had as good a selection of tablet-optimized apps compared to the iPad. And although the MS Surface doesn’t have a good selection of tablet apps either, it at least runs a full desktop OS (better yet, Windows) that has a complete selection of desktop apps, so the Surface can at least compete with Android on a serious level when it comes to productivity / utility.

This is just what I’ve observed about the Android tablet market.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692