The Note 7 has made me less interested in the upcoming Nexus

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This.

My first Android was a Nexus (5x, yep I was super late to the party). Because of what I read everywhere, it seemed like Nexus was king. Then I tried other Androids (Nextbit Robin, Sony Xperia Z3, HTC One A9) and I saw a difference. You can get used to certain features and going to Nexus is going without them.

The Robin is pretty much stock Android, but then I tried the Z3 and A9 and I was shocked to find all of these options, including themes, which I thought was awesome. HTC adds the ability to "hide" apps in the app drawer which I loved. Can't get that from a Nexus.

I also hear about Moto's gestures and additions too, which sound cool. There are positives to each side really, but personally I need my next Android to get Nougat at least. After that, I'm probably indifferent.
Right? Out of the box, Nexus can be pretty boring.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's cool I guess. Custom ROMs have their place but app developers probably need Nexus phones more than ROM developers.
App devs buy them at well... But your are right in that it's not a dev device like those lumps QC makes available when a new processor is released. But it's still the standard.

But that's neither here nor there... The OP asked if there Note 7 is so good that it rendered the Nexus moot. Of course it's not. As good as it is, it's still not for everyone. But neither is the Nexus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You know, this Note would almost catch my eye a bit... But.... My wife has a S7 and there are enough things about that phone that drive me nuts to throw up red flags on the Note... It's still a Samsung, and they still do dumb stuff or mess with things that doesn't need messing with.

Simple things.. like the backwards nav buttons with the hw home button/FPS that just doesn't work with either of my thumbs. Or how they broke inter-app sharing (recently backed out, but who knows what they'll screw up next).

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The Robin is pretty much stock Android, but then I tried the Z3 and A9 and I was shocked to find all of these options, including themes, which I thought was awesome. HTC adds the ability to "hide" apps in the app drawer which I loved. Can't get that from a Nexus.

Yeah, you can. All you need to do is use one of the *myriad* of different launchers (like Nova for one). Almost every 3rd party launcher worth its salt has the ability to use icon packs, hide apps, etc..

Last edited:

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Once you get over "stock Android over everything", a large world opens up to you.

It's not so much 'Stock Android over everything' as it's 'no OEM or Carrier bloat added to my device'. There's *is* a difference in those statements, and as much as I was a fan of the Note series (had a Note 2 and Note 4), I just can't see myself going back to a branded phone.

Second, there's the timely updates. Yes, some OEMs have gotten a lot better with updates, but they're still hobbled by whenever the carrier decides to push them out. I prefer my updates sooner rather than who knows when.

Plus, there's the whole Fi thing that's saved me so much money over the big carriers, but that's a bonus over a bloat free and timely update experience.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much 'Stock Android over everything' as it's 'no OEM or Carrier bloat added to my device'. There's *is* a difference in those statements, and as much as I was a fan of the Note series (had a Note 2 and Note 4), I just can't see myself going back to a branded phone.

Second, there's the timely updates. Yes, some OEMs have gotten a lot better with updates, but they're still hobbled by whenever the carrier decides to push them out. I prefer my updates sooner rather than who knows when.

Plus, there's the whole Fi thing that's saved me so much money over the big carriers, but that's a bonus over a bloat free and timely update experience.

If you don't like an OEM's bloat, don't buy that OEM's phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12