USB-C, what's ur opinion?

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It seems the future phones are removing the jack for ear buds and leaving only a USB-C port to do everything with, charging, ear bud, connect to tv.

USB-C, who likes, who dislikes the idea of killing off ear bud jack for all in one USB-C port?

I for one certainly do not like sharing ear buds with charger port! I drive all day, I use the ear bud jack to plug into the vehicle radio and at the same time use the charger to keep phone charged while playing music all day.

My vote is no to USB-C.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So far all devices but one have both a USB Type C port and a 3.5 mm headphone jack. But even if there were 0 that had both, I'd still be a 100% yes vote. USB Type C is still waiting for some discipline from the OEM's that keep disregarding important parts of the specs (Google, OnePlus, HTC, Samsung, etc) - but as soon as they're in compliance it's leaps and bounds better than microUSB.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm indifferent about USB-C. In the beginning, I was mad. Now it's just a reminder to bring the right cord to charge my phone on the go.

I do agree with Aquila about compliance though, that needs to be straightened out.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not necessary to remove the 3mm headphone jack, that's just what many manufacturers are choosing to do. On the side of making USB-C the first truly universal cable, I'm fine with that. I foresee it actually happening since even Apple is implementing it and Apple has always had proprietary cables.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Selfishly, I don't want the USB-C transition.

But the future needs to start somewhere.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am in favor of USB-C. USB-B is so fragile and I hate having to insert it right side up. Coming over from an iPhone / lightning connector, USB-B physically is very awkward.

I am against deleting the headphone jack however. I like to plug in headphones (good headphones), listening to music while charging my phone. So in the scenario you presented, USB-C and no HP jack versus USB-B with HP jack... I would take the latter.

Hopefully audio manufacturers will start making USB-C compatible DAC/Amps that can charge while plugging in headphones (good headphones).

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think USB-C is great, but it would be awesome if there would be a way to listen to audio and charge at the same time, which probably can't happen since electricity might damage audio quality...

Tech2011

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it's clear that the industry is moving in favor of USB-C, however I think it would be presumptuous to assume that OEMs couldn't / wouldn't make a phone that had a USB-C charging port and include a DAC for a 3.5mm standard headphone jack.

I'm in favor of that transition. I'm not ready, however, to switch to a USB-C phone if I have to sacrifice the headphone jack though, even if the device included an adapter for my 3.5mm audio devices.

But I definitely like USB-C for the convenience of not having to worry about which way I plug in the charging cable into my phone.