Project Ara "Suspended"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google reportedly cancels Project Ara modular smartphone plans | The Verge

Google has "suspended" work on*Project Ara, the initiative to build a phone with interchangeable modules for various components like cameras and batteries,*according to Reuters. The company reportedly may license the technology to other partners, but will not release a phone itself. The decision is said to be part of an effort to unify Google's hardware development under former Motorola president Rick Osterloh.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We all knew this was coming. It would be like fuelling your car with Water. The money that would be lost with moduler replacement parts vs an entire new phone would death. My opinion. Google bought this up just to have the rights to it and destroy it.

Why the doom and gloom?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Modular designs are a nice concept, but I'm not convinced any of them will be successful. Most people want accessories that can be used on multiple devices, and not just the same model and brand, other than cases and screen protectors.

For example, I wouldn't buy headphones that only work on a Samsung, or only on a Moto. I want to use my headphones with any device I have, and I keep my headphones longer than I keep my phones.

I see this being the main issue with modular designs. Not everyone wants to be tied to a particular model or brand of phone in terms of accessories.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Why the doom and gloom?

Oh by no means is it doom and gloom. I LOVE this idea and think it's fantastic! I just see this as something that would RUIN phone manufactures. And had a feeling this would never happen.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Modular designs are a nice concept, but I'm not convinced any of them will be successful.
To be successful, this Ara-style modularity would have to take off big time. If as many OEMs who are currently manufacturing multiple smartphones also produced multiple Ara-style modules which all worked perfectly together on a common set of Ara smartphone frames, then you'd have a solid shot at selling Ara phones. But depending on one company to construct the frames and an entire set of interchangeable modules, each at various price points & levels of sophistication? Nev-uh.

rahool360

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
so much disappointed with this news!!! but i am pretty sure that engineers will make that phone or someone from them will leave and a start a company to make that project ara happen under diff name for sure

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae