Lack of updates make me want to go iPhone or maybe WebOS

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just a small rant, but the fact that updates take so long on Android is bothersome. I have the HTC EVO and there is no info on when Gingerbread will be coming out to. Froyo is not perfect, it is a good, but there are issues with SMS messaging, music playback issues, UI streamlining, some of which was fixed in Gingerbread, but when are we going to get those updates?

I am not a fan of the iPhone at all, but at least updates are released to all, not released and then 5-6 months before they are skinned and released again. What if there is a big security bug? How long will take take to be filtered out to Android users.

Even Windows Phone 7 has issues with updates, and those phone manufacturers don't have their own flavored skins.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I had more updates on my DX in the first 4 months than I had in over a year with my BB. It depends on the phone. It's much easier for iOS to update one phone than it is to update every android device.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a lack of updates if there weren't issues with Froyo. The SMS bug I think is big, that it can send it to other people, I have issues that my music skips when I have google maps (nav) open, the fact that they don't want you to have an task killer, but they include in gingerbread, user interface streamlining.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I understand your frustration. It isn't perfect. I'm sorry you are having issues with your device. The SMS bug is a big thing. I've never had an issue with that, but I delete my sms threads frequently and if I'm going to send something that would be embarassing, I just delete the threads that I wouldn't want it to go to. Still needs to be fixed.

I haven't heard anything about your music issue.

As far as the task killer issue, it's not that you can't use it, just that it is really not needed. Most people just add it and go crazy with auto kill. This will cause issues. I haven't used a task killer in months and haven't noticed an issue. You can force stop anything that is causing problems through app management. This is just a little easier to get to in GB, pretty much the same thing.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I know how you feel. I had an HTC Hero and just wanted FroYo badly. I just didn't want to wait. I finally got a Nexus S because the Nexus line of phones are the only phones you can be sure will get updates longer and faster (actually first.) I would recommend getting a Nexus phone as your next device. If not you can always root your device and get 2.3 that way. I really hope that you get the 2.3 update, I bet HTC will update the Evo quick. I think it will be the next to receive the update.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Root your device and put cm7 on it, really the only solution if you feel impatient. As for iphone, do you really consider the individual ios updates that different? The thing about android is that every version feels different, can't say the same in the time I had an ipod touch. Not to mention they charged me for an update, that's another story.

I just rooted my g2 and have been running gingerbread for a little over a week. Haven't looked back.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Root your device and put cm7 on it, really the only solution if you feel impatient. As for iphone, do you really consider the individual ios updates that different? The thing about android is that every version feels different, can't say the same in the time I had an ipod touch. Not to mention they charged me for an update, that's another story.

I just rooted my g2 and have been running gingerbread for a little over a week. Haven't looked back.

I am going to do that in the next few days. But honestly I might go with the HP Pre 3 when it comes out.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a un rooted evo and have none of them issues. Updates will. Come when they are ready in the mean time I love my phone as is. WebOS are you serious? I came from a pre. If you had a pre and webOS for a year, you would be very happy with what you have now.

EVO-LUTION 3D

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you all seriously complaining that you don't have gingerbread? It is official on one phone, the nexus s developer phone. Please. Some phones still don't even have an official froyo release. Not to be negative, but this seems ridiculous to me.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

boyer61

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go to webOS if your mad about lack of updates. HP will tell you they are gonna support your phone then out of the blue they lie to you..

Reactions: cordoni

darkrisen

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Try Owning a blackberry storm 1 or 2 like I have had both of. Then you will be happy with what you have now because we never get updates.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Webos is a good OS and you must of came from a Pre to want to go back to it . The Evo is Sprints baby and for sure it will get 2.3 if any of there current phones will... It took us till now to get official Froyo on the Epic .

Now you are on this forum so you read and know abit about rooting its not hard and you can update to 2.3 that way as others have said...

IPhone? really ? So you will do what ? Leave it stock and enjoy your frequent updates? You will need to Jailbreak it just to do what you can do now with your phone...Sounds to me your just bord with your phone and you want these new devices coming out bad ... lol

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Iphone is the way to go if you want an update every week whereas they are just changing an item at a time....with 3 ipod touches and an Iphone it's a pita and not even worth it.

Who cares when upgrades come out?
You bought your device for what it does now, not what it may get down the road.

Reactions: MaxBuck2 and john_v

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure when Gingerbread 2.3 or (whatever version they might call it) is coming out - but I can tell you this much >~> Updates are coming SOON!!! - not in the "coming months"

Sprint is continuing with the EVO line... and that's a surety for more and better updates... for all EVO phones.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Try Owning a blackberry storm 1 or 2 like I have had both of. Then you will be happy with what you have now because we never get updates.

LMFAO... AMEN MY BROTHER. These people who have never owned a Storm have NO IDEA how "no updates" feel. It's soooo ridiculous. I can't wait to upgrade my phone in about 2 months!!!

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just a small rant, but the fact that updates take so long on Android is bothersome. I have the HTC EVO and there is no info on when Gingerbread will be coming out to. Froyo is not perfect, it is a good, but there are issues with SMS messaging, music playback issues, UI streamlining, some of which was fixed in Gingerbread, but when are we going to get those updates?

I am not a fan of the iPhone at all, but at least updates are released to all, not released and then 5-6 months before they are skinned and released again. What if there is a big security bug? How long will take take to be filtered out to Android users.

Even Windows Phone 7 has issues with updates, and those phone manufacturers don't have their own flavored skins.

I have been using iOS since 2007 on my iPod Touch. I am running on iOS 4.2 right now.

Why bother with updates on IOS when it all looks the same? After all the updates, iOS still has the same boring appearance and the changes are very incrementary. In fact, there is quite a few negative things about the IOS 4 update. And in fact, I stopped updating my iPod Touch and won't do any update until 90 days when the update is released and there is no issues.

Adding new security measures are not handled by the base Android OS at all---this is a common myth. It's handled by the Android Market, which handles the security and payment APIs. Google can push new security measures into any Android phone directly via an Android Market update which is pushed directly to the phone, irrespective of your Android OS version (1.6 and above required). Remember, Android is a cloud OS.

HTC will probably be getting ready to send an HTC Sense/Gingerbread update. The first sign of this will be international unlocked HTC Desires getting the update. If this first wave proves to be a success, then you start updating the carrier HTCs next.

92turbo2

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I had a Palm pre since lauch day 2009 and just last month i upgraded to the evo and android is a great system but webos is possibly the best operating system out there as mine was overclocked and loaded with homebrew apps, but webos lacks the updates and you dont get screwed, i loved webos,but couldn't take getting lied to saying we will stay true to the legacy device, i am loving my evo though, i am in for the long haul with it, cause of sprint changing crap

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance