Is your smartphone more than what you need?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I had to pick up the Moto G4 Plus until Samsung fixes the Note 7. But as I wait for my dream phone to have a decent battery that won't explode from normal charging I have been actually enjoying my budget smartphone. The only thing that has bothered me was the lack of NFC (no Samsung Pay). So I have to use my actual credit card to make purchases; lame. But it is interesting how this phone is $500 cheaper,but can still meet 95 percent of my smartphone needs. Made me think if the Samsung Note 7 at approximately $850 is more smartphone than I need. Anyone else feel the same?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at my Note 4 vs. Note 7 and wondering if I should upgrade, when I don't even use the older Note4 to its full capacity.

I guess its all about what you WANT rather than need. Even a G4 Plus is more than what we need vs. a basic feature phone, but we want a powerhouse device that is fully loaded, its the geek in us.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've gotten used to having smartphones over the last 5 years but I don't really need them. I leave my smartphones and use an old Samsung flip phone for a couple months every summer when I'm doing fieldwork in areas with no Wi-Fi.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if I'm paying too much for what I need or even want.
I would say take a look at mid tier devices. Some of them may have everything you want.

To take it one step further....using your N7 as the sample phone, list all of its features. Next to each feature list it as a need or want (I couldn't think of a better word for the phrase nice to have but not essential).

Line up all your needs, and try to find a phone that checks off as many of those as possible.

To be fair, Samsung Pay obviously won't be on non Samsung devices. But a lot more merchants are rolling out Android Pay.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would say take a look at mid tier devices. Some of them may have everything you want.

To take it one step further....using your N7 as the sample phone, list all of its features. Next to each feature list it as a need or want (I couldn't think of a better word for the phrase nice to have but not essential).

Line up all your needs, and try to find a phone that checks off as many of those as possible.

To be fair, Samsung Pay obviously won't be on non Samsung devices. But a lot more merchants are rolling out Android Pay.
I just did this. It turned out to be very interesting.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
What was the result? As in, what phones fit for you?
ed85232c2338a9842349927863529560.jpg

This is what I needed. The Moto G4 meets all of those. What I wanted was an AMOLED screen and Samsung Pay. Now is that worth $500? No.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
My S6 Edge is near perfect for me except it's poor battery life. It doesn't lag, great camera, best screen, more than enough storage, quick security updates. Im hoping to get the scale down resolution power saving feature from note 7 to get ported all the way down to S6 series.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think my phone (an LG G3) definitely does more than I need it to do. I mostly use my phone for texting, making calls, Netflix, and social media. That's it, for the most part. So any budget phone could do that for me, when you think about it (specs aside). This is a great discussion topic to ponder - thanks, OP!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
If I utilized all the features in my phone I'd never get any work done. Yes...it's more than I need, I think that's true for most.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking at my Note 4 vs. Note 7 and wondering if I should upgrade, when I don't even use the older Note4 to its full capacity.

My wife loves her Note 4, and I have to say I'm a bit envious from time to time and I have the S7.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5X hits most of those too, for me. I can't wait for the announcement of the new one, and see what happens.

So, with all that said, what are you thinking about for your next device?
That's just it. I had the Note 7 but I had to return it due to the global recall. That phone had all the bells and whistles. And it was the smartphone I truly wanted. But it's $500 more than what I really need. So is it worth it? No. Will I eventually end up with one? I don't know. But it seems like I shouldn't based on my needs assessment.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My wife loves her Note 4, and I have to say I'm a bit envious from time to time and I have the S7.

Its a fantastic device, still such a beast of a thing when you realise whats its capable of.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160906/ed85232c2338a9842349927863529560.jpg

This is what I needed. The Moto G4 meets all of those. What I wanted was an AMOLED screen and Samsung Pay. Now is that worth $500? No.
I can happily say my Note 4 not only matches that list but goes further than some of those. All day battery, hmmm.... If I use it moderately, yes.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Its a fantastic device, still such a beast of a thing when you realise whats its capable of.

I can happily say my Note 4 not only matches that list but goes further than some of those. All day battery, hmmm.... If I use it moderately, yes.
Yeah, the Note 4 should meet everything on that list. And the Note 4 is relatively cheap now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000