The science of smartphone batteries, and how to charge them most effectively.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Key points from the article:

1. Don't expose your battery to heat (this should also apply to cold). This includes leaving it outside when it's too warm or cold outside and/or leaving it in your car.
2. Don't ever let your battery life get too low and especially stay away from letting it turn itself off from not having enough charge. If your phone says it's below 15%, it should have been on the charger 10% ago, if not earlier.
3. Lithium batteries do not have "memory". They do not need to be fully drained and recharged EVER, let alone when you first get it. Everything you've ever heard about conditioning batteries does not apply here - it's actually worse than not useful, it is actually harmful to the battery capacity and health.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

1. Don't expose your battery to heat (this should also apply to cold). This includes leaving it outside when it's too warm or cold outside and/or leaving it in your car.
2. Don't ever let your battery life get too low and especially stay away from letting it turn itself off from not having enough charge. If your phone says it's below 15%, it should have been on the charger 10% ago, if not earlier.
3. Lithium batteries do not have "memory". They do not need to be fully drained and recharged EVER, let alone when you first get it. Everything you've ever heard about conditioning batteries does not apply here - it's actually worse than not useful, it is actually harmful to the battery capacity and health.

Thanks for the summary! :) Good to know about never letting your phone reach below 15%.

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site

but I also read other articles suggesting to use up all the battery like once a month to keep it healthy

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
but I also read other articles suggesting to use up all the battery like once a month to keep it healthy

Those are giving out bad info (for our context) based on older batteries that aren't currently used in smartphones and tablets. Four years ago it was more common for that to be either beneficial or low damage but now it's without benefit.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I plug it in every night regardless of level, I don't stress about being kind to the battery, not on my list of concerns.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Those are giving out bad info (for our context) based on older batteries that aren't currently used in smartphones and tablets. Four years ago it was more common for that to be either beneficial or low damage but now it's without benefit.

And sometimes, sales reps still tell you to drain the battery at least once to help it maintain a solid battery life. I dunno, I've never done that with my phones - even years ago haha.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I plug it in every night regardless of level, I don't stress about being kind to the battery, not on my list of concerns.
Exactly what I have been doing with every phone I have ever had.. I use my 2 year old M8 as my daily driver and still able to achieve 20 hours of battery life.. 👍 I charge it every night regardless of the battery level, I like to have a full battery at the start of the day!

Vee_G

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Good information to have. Got a new phone recebtly, the battery life is pretty impressive and I want to make sure I continue to take care of the battery. Thanks for the summary.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Yeah don't you love it when Oper's post links to other pages for info instead of taking it upon themselves to create summaries pertaining to the topic.. Now I've been known to offer support and post links geared toward those questions asked, and the only reason I do this is because I'm not familiar with the topic. However, give me something I am familiar with and I tend to ramble a bit longer than I should. @Aquila did an excellent job of summing up what the Oper started.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463