Anyone else do this: Daddy Tech Support

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I realized the other day, that in addition to all my passwords, I have to remember those for the wife, the youngest daughter, and occasionally the oldest. I have to monthly (sometimes weekly) have to check all the laptops for updates, scan for malware, scan for viruses, etc. I also have to answer questions" "Daddy! The internet is not working!" "Honey! This file will not open!", "Daddy, why can't I install "X" software? All my friends have it!" "Honey, iTunes is not letting me add money to my account!" "Daddy!, my sound card is not working!"

My oldest who is at college called me in a panic because WIndows 10 on her new (read expensive) laptop showed no sound card installed. I walked her through a fix, but then her wireless went down, so we fixed that, then she needed instructions on something else. My youngest was yelling at the same time that she could not open a .pub file from school, so I had to go down, and show her how to open it in Libre Office (I refuse to pay for MS Publisher to use 10-12 times a year), and Libre Office draw works perfectly. Then she forgot how to do something else so I spent more time in "Daddy Tech Support".

My wife lost her iTunes password, so I spent more time fixing that issue. My youngest needed my help with.... So how many of you guys (and gals) out there are the Tech Support department at your house? I don't mind, but it really pisses me off when after everything I do one of the kids goes and downloads something that fouls things up. The oldest was looking for movies and got onto a hinky site, that infected her laptop with a 'bot, that took me two hours to get rid of from her laptop.

Email is a biggie, since the wife complains that she cannot get all her emails in one spot, and I downloaded, installed, and configured Thunderbird for her so she could check her email. Then she complained that it was..."confusing". *sigh* *groan*. My response at that point: "Too bad, suck it up". Right now I am doing a backup of the wife's laptop since she refuses to do it, claiming it is "my job". My wife's laptop is positively Victorian Era, so I think for Christmas I am going to get her a new HP i5 laptop from Best Buy with 12 gb ram, and 1tb HD, and 1920x1080 screen.

Well, I guess that is what I get paid to do. :)

Last edited:

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
It is hard enough with the three females in my house. As it is, I am the "computer expert" at work, since I work with a bunch of techno-illiterates. It has gotten so bad, that I tell them: How the "F" do I know, call MIS for help! My wife has a hard enough time making Netflix work.... I ran out of coal yesterday to stoke the boiler on her laptop to get it to work long enough for me to install updates. :)

You should post your number here. So AC readers can contact you for help.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Done with the wife's computer and Winders 10. Installed Linux Mint 17.3, and told her to suck it up. So far things are working the way they should. Mint 18 need a little more time to mature, I have it on my 13.3" HP notebook, and it requires more "tweaking" to get Wifi running. MInt 17.3 just works, and her old hardware runs it just fine. Next step is an SSD, the ones I put in mine, and my youngest's laptop make them scream Crucial MX300 SSD, nice one, and comprable to the Samsung EVO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
LastPass solves all those issues for me. I am not a dad but I do all the management IT wise for my parents and my brother. I have their stuff saved in notes via LastPass :).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
That is brilliant :D @murphcid

I am only 26, but I can already see my future as 'Daddy Tech Support' is coming. Everyone in my family thinks I am some sort of techwiz, yet I am not, I just try find solutions to fix any problem we run into.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just added my 80 year old father to the list. I can't decide what to get him, a Chromebook (large screen), or a Dell running Mint Linux 17.3. He manages to drive my youngest brother up the wall by continually killing windows 10. He plays card games, emails, facebook, and some Word with light net surfing. They can do turbo tax on their desktop (if it still runs.....).

That is brilliant :D @murphcid

I am only 26, but I can already see my future as 'Daddy Tech Support' is coming. Everyone in my family thinks I am some sort of techwiz, yet I am not, I just try find solutions to fix any problem we run into.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Haha you guys are funny. Around my parts I'm Mommy/Wife/Daughter tech support. I get pinged constantly. I don't mind. My husband is pretty savvy but he still comes to me for help. My mum? OMG!! ...my daughter is getting a little more self sufficient, but then there's the in-laws. I built them there current machine but after 3 years I think I'm gonna recommend they get a Mac...and iPhones!

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
If I could afford a Mac for my 80 year old father, I would get him one, but they are priced too high for the likes of me. He still has a flip phone, and refuses to "go modern" as he puts it. He longs for the days of typewriters.... Also at work the regular question is: "Hey Murph, my computer just f'ed up, can you fix it? Or Hey Murph! can you get my computer to do "X"" I work with a bunch of techno-illiterates....

Haha you guys are funny. Around my parts I'm Mommy/Wife/Daughter tech support. I get pinged constantly. I don't mind. My husband is pretty savvy but he still comes to me for help. My mum? OMG!! ...my daughter is getting a little more self sufficient, but then there's the in-laws. I built them there current machine but after 3 years I think I'm gonna recommend they get a Mac...and iPhones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance