Google Seriously Needs and Android-Wide iMessage Like Messaging Service

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Do you use Hangouts, WhatsApp or any messaging app like that? iMessage is just like those, except it's built-in to the iPhone, which means people don't have to download a separate app, create an account, hope their contacts are also on the app, etc.

To me, the big benefit is the ability to message over WiFi. Of course, this only works if the other person has an iPhone, but that's the great thing: if they don't, iMessage will just use SMS/MMS. But if they do, the conversation will be encrypted and sent over data connection or WiFi. I get terrible reception in my house for some reason, so for reliability purposes, I've gotten immediate family on Hangouts. But most of my family and friends have iPhones, so trying to get others on there is a lost cause since almost everyone else they talk to also have iPhones.
Yes people can't be bothered to download an app like what's app then make sure all 100 of their friends have it downloaded too. IMessage just works automatically if data is on. For people who aren't tech savy and don't really care, (majority of people), it's brilliant!

People need to start looking at consumers more realistically. Imessage is a selling feature. Just because we all may be smart enough to understand what it's not really a big deal, to more consumers than not, it is. And it works really well. Something like this for Android would do wonders. Android needs to take one small teeny tiny page out of apple's book and make things a little more simple for the average folks.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
iMessage just works. Period.

Not only can you send longer messages but if you have more than one device (like I and many other do) the sender can just send to the one recipient and all the recipient's devices get the message. That is huge. ...and the sender/recipient don't need to download a 3rd party app or create a separate account for it to work that way.

I'm not sure why Google can't easily accomplish this but I'm sure there's a reason as I'd imagine they'd LIKE to have the same ease of use.

The thing about Apple is they may not always have the most advanced features or customization but what they do have typically works, works with little to no effort, and is reliable. Its why my husband and daughter swear by their iPhones.

I like to tinker and don't mind having to fiddle, especially when it means I can own hardware like the S7e, V20, and V10 but I can totally see why most people want the solution that is easiest (iMessage/iPhone) for them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
iMessage just works. Period.

Not only can you send longer messages but if you have more than one device (like I and many other do) the sender can just send to the one recipient and all the recipient's devices get the message. That is huge. ...and the sender/recipient don't need to download a 3rd party app or create a separate account for it to work that way.

I'm not sure why Google can't easily accomplish this but I'm sure there's a reason as I'd imagine they'd LIKE to have the same ease of use.

The thing about Apple is they may not always have the most advanced features or customization but what they do have typically works, works with little to no effort, and is reliable. Its why my husband and daughter swear by their iPhones.

I like to tinker and don't mind having to fiddle, especially when it means I can own hardware like the S7e, V20, and V10 but I can totally see why most people want the solution that is easiest (iMessage/iPhone) for them.

I think they can (Hangouts/Google Talk).

But it also limits the openness of Android. Textra and other replacement SMS/MMS apps become irrelevant.

Also - this could/would only help Android to Android communication. Android to iOS will still need to fall back to SMS/MMS.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And this is a deal breaker? I still don't see the big deal.
Some people may send more video than you and therefore they like it. It is nice to text a video that you can see in nice quality versus being all compressed and crappy.

My Mom likes to send videos of my nephew.. I have her send it to my gf's phone so I can watch it in nice quality.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think they can (Hangouts/Google Talk).

But it also limits the openness of Android. Textra and other replacement SMS/MMS apps become irrelevant.

Also - this could/would only help Android to Android communication. Android to iOS will still need to fall back to SMS/MMS.
But Hangouts/Google Talk is not the native messaging app...so you'd have to get everyone you communicate with to jump on board instead of just using the native messaging solution.

While I miss imessage I'm not feeling like giving up Android to join the rest of the clan in iOS get at it. There are workarounds and we use them.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I must admit that I am not an iOS fan, but I do respect them for their media prowess and for iMessage. I think it's a very interactive and well-thought-out application. Google should try to do something somewhat similar and, as another user has stated, make that go cross-platform.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
But Hangouts/Google Talk is not the native messaging app...so you'd have to get everyone you communicate with to jump on board instead of just using the native messaging solution.

While I miss imessage I'm not feeling like giving up Android to join the rest of the clan in iOS get at it. There are workarounds and we use them.

Agreed. Although IMessage may not be enough for us android users to use an iPhone, but I think it's a feature that ios users live and die by. If android had a similar service, I could see many iPhone users migrating to Android slowly. More and more people are beginning to realize how feature packed Android is, but when they come from an iPhone they expect certain simple tasks to work like their iPhone did. The number one thing we all do on our phones is text. And an IMessage-like service absolutely destroys SMS.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Although IMessage may not be enough for us android users to use an iPhone, but I think it's a feature that ios users live and die by. If android had a similar service, I could see many iPhone users migrating to Android slowly. More and more people are beginning to realize how feature packed Android is, but when they come from an iPhone they expect certain simple tasks to work like their iPhone did. The number one thing we all do on our phones is text. And an IMessage-like service absolutely destroys SMS.
Yes, it does. But having all of the Android features and hardware choices puts quite a beat down on the iPhone for those willing to put in the time.

Steemlives

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I say this all the time, If it weren't for imessage I'd be on Android right now. I've tried making the switch many times but find myself going back for this reason.

Imessage just simply works. When you're someone like me who primarily does group messaging i.e. 2 to 3 groups going per day constantly with each one having 4+ people in them, MMS/SMS messages starting lagging, coming in out of order and not even sending at all... some times you'll even get a text dump hours after the texts were actually sent to you. This is where iMessage comes in and quite literally gives a reliable solution.

Why not use whatsapp.... hmm oh let me seeeee... let me just get everyone and their mothers to download whatsapp just so I can switch to android. :-!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I say this all the time, If it weren't for imessage I'd be on Android right now. I've tried making the switch many times but find myself going back for this reason.

Imessage just simply works. When you're someone like me who primarily does group messaging i.e. 2 to 3 groups going per day constantly with each one having 4+ people in them, MMS/SMS messages starting lagging, coming in out of order and not even sending at all... some times you'll even get a text dump hours after the texts were actually sent to you. This is where iMessage comes in and quite literally gives a reliable solution.

Why not use whatsapp.... hmm oh let me seeeee... let me just get everyone and their mothers to download whatsapp just so I can switch to android. :-!

Sounds like the only way to solve this is for Apple to bring iMessage to Android.

If Google does this for Android, it just becomes the same problem. Android to Android will be fine, but anything outside of that will still have the same issue.

What's harder, getting iOS people to switch to an Android phone or getting iOS people to download a second messaging app?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the only way to solve this is for Apple to bring iMessage to Android.

If Google does this for Android, it just becomes the same problem. Android to Android will be fine, but anything outside of that will still have the same issue.

What's harder, getting iOS people to switch to an Android phone or getting iOS people to download a second messaging app?

I feel like someone told me - or I read somewhere - that Apple will never take iMessage cross-platform. But if they did, I think that'd be a worthwhile investment.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I feel like someone told me - or I read somewhere - that Apple will never take iMessage cross-platform. But if they did, I think that'd be a worthwhile investment.

It makes zero business sense for Apple to make iMessage for Android.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It makes zero business sense for Apple to make iMessage for Android.

Well, I certainly understand that Apple would want to keep iMessage unique and only available to its own devices in order to keep the experience limited to their own brand and user base. But it would still be cool if they made the app cross-platform. Certainly, users would pay to be able to use the messaging app; as it is one of the better ones out there, IMO. Was just my thought on the subject. :)

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, I certainly understand that Apple would want to keep iMessage unique and only available to its own devices in order to keep the experience limited to their own brand and user base. But it would still be cool if they made the app cross-platform. Certainly, users would pay to be able to use the messaging app; as it is one of the better ones out there, IMO. Was just my thought on the subject. :)

I would almost certainly pay a reasonable amount for an Imessage app on Android. As I a former IOS user, I LOVED and I do miss Imessage.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Na, you want the blessings of iMessage you'z needa get one of our iPhones. Apple has no incentive to change that.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just my two cents; As an iPhone user I would not switch to Android because it suddenly had an iMessage like service or even if Apple released iMessage for Android.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would almost certainly pay a reasonable amount for an Imessage app on Android. As I a former IOS user, I LOVED and I do miss Imessage.

Apple wants to see your the hardware to go along with it.

Until their focus becomes services, not gonna happen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes! It would take off, for sure. Of course, I get the exclusivity that Apple is after in this case; but I'm sure there are many users out there that would pay for this app.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Can't really see any other reason to stick with ios
iOS is clean and simple. I feel like with Android, out the box, it's kinda icky. I have to "fix" it with tuning, Nova Prime, and icon packs before I like it. I like both iOS and Android but definitely like iOS better out-of-the-box. I like that I can change things and pick my preferred hardware with Android and Android is where I plan to be, primarily, until at least the iPhone 8. We'll see how I feel this time next year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae