Google Seriously Needs and Android-Wide iMessage Like Messaging Service

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Title says it all. Why do people still use iPhones we may ask? IMessage is the answer. I talk to many of my friends who owns iPhones and I show them a lot of the things my android device can do, ( I love my blackberry priv), and they don't really seem to care. IPhone users are comfortable with how their devices work, and they do work extremely well for what they're limited in doing.

I have had some friends who have acted on their android curiosity and due to their frustration with the same apple stuff year after year. But this brings me back to my original point. IMessage is single handedly, in my opinion of course, an absolutely massive selling feature of the iPhone. And let's face it, it works great. Ya there's BBM, whatsapp etc.. But most people can't be bother to download a separate application, as silly as that sounds. IMessage is great because it is automatically integrated into apples own messages application. If the person doesn't have an iPhone, no problem, it sends as a text message.

If google could introduce something similar I think it would be huge for the android platform. Every android device should come pre installed with a google messaging application that has a fully integrated internet/data based messaging service for ALL android devices. Apple's IMessage is obviously limited to just apple devices. Think of the power of a service like this on Android that can be used on your Samsung device, and then your friend's LG device, my blackberry device, your colleague's nexus or pixel device. I think this would pull a huge number of ios customers to Android with a messaging feature like this alone. Thoughts?

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
People still use iPhones because they like them.

Not to mention because they offer a well implemented user experience. Not earth shattering in any particular way, but solid across the board. Having come from an Iphone to Android, I have nothing but the utmost respect for what Apple has accomplished with the Iphone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Interesting idea.

How does iMessage differ from standard SMS texting?

iMessage essentially high jacks SMS and MMS messaging. When enabled, if the person you're sending the text to is on iMessage, it'll route through iMessage. If not, it'll fall back to SMS or MMS depending on how many recipients and if there is any media attached.

Routing through iMessage allows for messages longer than 160 characters (SMS text limit) and richer media (MMS file size can vary).

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
iMessage essentially high jacks SMS and MMS messaging. When enabled, if the person you're sending the text to is on iMessage, it'll route through iMessage. If not, it'll fall back to SMS or MMS depending on how many recipients and if there is any media attached.

Routing through iMessage allows for messages longer than 160 characters (SMS text limit) and richer media (MMS file size can vary).

And this is a deal breaker? I still don't see the big deal.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
And this is a deal breaker? I still don't see the big deal.

It's a huge deal breaker because I can text anyone I want over WiFi and send larger picture and video files. If Im on vacation I could text anyone in my phone through IMessage as if I was back home (when I had my iPhone). Also IMessage is overall just faster and more reliable then sms I find. I often find since using android that I'll send double texts to people as well as receive them

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's a huge deal breaker because I can text anyone I want over WiFi and send larger picture and video files. If Im on vacation I could text anyone in my phone through IMessage as if I was back home (when I had my iPhone). Also IMessage is overall just faster and more reliable then sms I find. I often find since using android that I'll send double texts to people as well as receive them

Sorry... I'm just not seeing the big deal here. I don't have any issues sending texts, pics with my Android. I must be missing something. Seems like BS to me.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Sorry... I'm just not seeing the big deal here. I don't have any issues sending texts, pics with my Android. I must be missing something. Seems like BS to me.

Not BS - he has a point. I don't know that it's the *only* reason but it's definitely a QOL factor. For people using the iphone, they just send messages - that's all it is to them. To the rest of the world, there are various protocols to navigate such as SMS, MMS, etc... Imessage just handles all of this, and when sent to another iphone it's point-to-point encrypted and without character limits.

To the OP - Google is heavily leveraging Allo and Duo in this manner, give it 24mos.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Google solution right now is to use Allo. Get as many people on board with Allo and be part of the solution.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Not BS - he has a point. I don't know that it's the *only* reason but it's definitely a QOL factor. For people using the iphone, they just send messages - that's all it is to them. To the rest of the world, there are various protocols to navigate such as SMS, MMS, etc... Imessage just handles all of this, and when sent to another iphone it's point-to-point encrypted and without character limits..

Ok, but my S7 sends MMS/SMS without any navigating, I just get into my stock texting app. Sorry, guess I'm just a dolt.

alphabetkid98

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I totally agree. Merging Allo and Duo into Hangouts or merging Allo and Duo together into one app and closing Hangouts. It's time for a real FaceTime competitor.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Ok, but my S7 sends MMS/SMS without any navigating, I just get into my stock texting app. Sorry, guess I'm just a dolt.

Right - but the S7 breaks long texts up into multiple texts - it's using the SMS protocol which imposes character limits (160 char max), anything over this is sent as another text.

Likewise, MMS pictures are compressed and not sent natively (and to my frustration upside down occasionally). These are a couple of examples of issues solved by imessage - you just send messages and pictures.

Nine54

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess I don't give a hoot about video messages, probably why I don't understand the fuss.

Do you use Hangouts, WhatsApp or any messaging app like that? iMessage is just like those, except it's built-in to the iPhone, which means people don't have to download a separate app, create an account, hope their contacts are also on the app, etc.

To me, the big benefit is the ability to message over WiFi. Of course, this only works if the other person has an iPhone, but that's the great thing: if they don't, iMessage will just use SMS/MMS. But if they do, the conversation will be encrypted and sent over data connection or WiFi. I get terrible reception in my house for some reason, so for reliability purposes, I've gotten immediate family on Hangouts. But most of my family and friends have iPhones, so trying to get others on there is a lost cause since almost everyone else they talk to also have iPhones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR