Can you recommend me a new phone?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I live in the UK. I have an almost 2-year old Xperia Z2. Since the battery in it is non-removable, it has started to hold much less charge than before. I want to get a new phone that has a removable battery. I really don't like the new practice of companies making phones with non-removable batteries.

Anyway, I am looking for a phone that will last me at least 2 years (including support and updates for it), so highest possible characteristics are necessary. I am leaning towards the LG V20, but I don't know how to get it, since it isn't available here in the UK. I am also considering the LG G5 (the modular design is simply awesome!), but the phone is already half a year old and besides, I am hearing that it got bad reviews?

Any recommendations? Thank you and very appreciated.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I live in the UK. I have an almost 2-year old Xperia Z2. Since the battery in it is non-removable, it has started to hold much less charge than before. I want to get a new phone that has a removable battery. I really don't like the new practice of companies making phones with non-removable batteries.

Anyway, I am looking for a phone that will last me at least 2 years (including support and updates for it), so highest possible characteristics are necessary. I am leaning towards the LG V20, but I don't know how to get it, since it isn't available here in the UK. I am also considering the LG G5 (the modular design is simply awesome!), but the phone is already half a year old and besides, I am hearing that it got bad reviews?

Any recommendations? Thank you and very appreciated.

I'm coming for a Galaxy Note 4. I bought it exactly a year ago. I chose it over the Note 5. The Note 4 had been released in 2014 and I bought it in 2015. Don't get caught up in if a device has been out last a year or not. Having been out sometime now the G5 had time to depreciate. You can get it far cheaper now.

I just upgraded to the G5 a few days ago and I love it. Initial reviews were mixed due to build quality but they seem to have fixed that. I don't have any issues.

I personally wanted to move to a smaller device so I stayed away from the V10 and V20. I was tired if having such a massive device. Although the Note 4 was the single best device I've ever had, the G5 definitely has the potential to surpass it given my experience with it so far.

If you're not into the G5, try the HTC 10. That was the device I was after at first but T-Mobile no longer has them in stock so I had to bite the bullet and get something else. HTC 10 received great reviews. It was removed from T-Mobile's lineup because it wasn't selling well.

There's also the OnePlus3 which is another smartphone that gets rave reviews due to its performance and low cost. Or just hang on until the V20 arrives.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It may be worth waiting for next year Feb for the LG G6 to be unveiled.

The Note 4 is great, I have had mine for 2years now, got it a new battery a few months ago, but getting a Note 4 after Xperia Z2 may be a tad pointless as both are from 2014, so either way you may not get Android 7 Nougat.

If you can't import a LG V20, I'd say wait a bit for LG G6.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! As soon as I read "removable batteries," my mind went to the V20. However, if it's not possible for you to get it where you are, you could always go for the G5.

I did a lot of research on the G5 when it first launched; especially because of my initial impression: I didn't like it. But after reading articles and reviews on here and elsewhere, my outlook slowly changed. Even if it's half a year old now, it's a great device that seems to have a lot going for it. LG does know how to make a snazzy handset!

Any other choices come to mind for you as far as phones go? What do you use your phone for the most - what's important to you (other than the removable battery, of course)?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there! As soon as I read "removable batteries," my mind went to the V20. However, if it's not possible for you to get it where you are, you could always go for the G5.

I did a lot of research on the G5 when it first launched; especially because of my initial impression: I didn't like it. But after reading articles and reviews on here and elsewhere, my outlook slowly changed. Even if it's half a year old now, it's a great device that seems to have a lot going for it. LG does know how to make a snazzy handset!

Any other choices come to mind for you as far as phones go? What do you use your phone for the most - what's important to you (other than the removable battery, of course)?

May I ask why you didn't like the G5 at first? And I am wondering why it underperformed on the market? What I like most about it is the modular design and the way you can remove the battery from below (simply awesome!). As for phone preferences (besides removable battery), I am looking forward to a good display and a decent camera. G5's camera is less pixels than my current Xperia Z2, but I guess it is of better quality. Also, since the phone is half a year old, I am wondering - how many years do you think it will get support for? My Xperia Z2 is 2 and a half years old and they recently stopped with the updates for it (it won't go above Lollipop to Nougat so I am stuck with it forever).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
May I ask why you didn't like the G5 at first? And I am wondering why it underperformed on the market? What I like most about it is the modular design and the way you can remove the battery from below (simply awesome!). As for phone preferences (besides removable battery), I am looking forward to a good display and a decent camera. G5's camera is less pixels than my current Xperia Z2, but I guess it is of better quality. Also, since the phone is half a year old, I am wondering - how many years do you think it will get support for? My Xperia Z2 is 2 and a half years old and they recently stopped with the updates for it (it won't go above Lollipop to Nougat so I am stuck with it forever).

Hi! The reasons I didn't like it at first were hardware-based. The modules didn't appeal to me all that much (except for maybe the battery one); but what turned me off the most was that they had switched around the back buttons. I have the G3 and love the back buttons placement - I never accidentally hit a volume rocker or the power button when I hold it - and I had really wanted a G5, and so I had been a little crushed I guess!

But after doing a lot of research on it; and simultaneously commiserating with fellow users and also reading reviews of satisfied users on here, my opinions shifted. I think it's a great phone that has a lot going for it. And I've since changed my mind about the hardware - it's still a great looking phone with not bad specs at all, even if it lacks the back button placement.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I did some research on this recently when I was thinking about grabbing a Nexus 6P; and it seems that two years is a decent rule of thumb for getting updates, etc. Google is two years, for sure. LG may follow a similar pattern; but my G3 seems to be coming up on the two-years-since-launch date pretty soon and I've gotten all major updates. But it's important to remember that even without regular updates, your phone will run just fine. I know someone who has a Nexus 5 that still works perfectly fine, though it has not received updates for a long while. Don't worry! :)

PS: Is your "venom" username a reference to the "Venom" in Spider-Man? If so, amazing! :D

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your response! I don't know what i will do, but you got me VERY interested in the G5. I was going to ask, are the modules essential to buy? I only plan on buying an extra removable battery, but not the other modules (too expensive). That wouldn't be a problem and I could still use it as a normal phone, right?

As for my username, you guessed correct. It is the venom from Spidey. I got that username when I was a kid and even now (i'm 23) I still use it widely :)

Edit: I just read that LG abandons the modular design for future flagships. I guess I won't be buying the G5, then... Such a shame, I really thought this was going to be the future of phones.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your response! I don't know what i will do, but you got me VERY interested in the G5. I was going to ask, are the modules essential to buy? I only plan on buying an extra removable battery, but not the other modules (too expensive). That wouldn't be a problem and I could still use it as a normal phone, right?

As for my username, you guessed correct. It is the venom from Spidey. I got that username when I was a kid and even now (i'm 23) I still use it widely :)

Edit: I just read that LG abandons the modular design for future flagships. I guess I won't be buying the G5, then... Such a shame, I really thought this was going to be the future of phones.

You're welcome! Nope, I don't think you need the modules to enjoy the full use of the phone. They add to it, sure, but it's not a requirement.

That's awesome! Venom is the best Spider-Man villain ever!

And oh no! I don't understand why they'd scrap the modules after all that work put into designing them, etc. That is disappointing to hear, for sure.

What are you thinking now? Are you leaning more towards the LG V20 still?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, probably the V20, although I don't know how I am going to get it in the UK and how much it is going to cost. I am putting the new phone idea a bit on the hold for now. But thank you for the spent time :)

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No other device on the market has modules so why would the lack of support for modules on future LG devices hold you back from picking up the G5? I've had a great experience so far with the G5 in this first week that I've had it. No lag at all, no build quality issues, great battery life. Having a module would be neat I guess but I've never used one so I can't missing something I've never had in any of my devices.

Also, the V20 is much larger than the G5. Go ahead and order one if it doesn't bother you but tread carefully if you don't want a device that's too big.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind the size of the V20, but the price on the other hand... it is a bit too much for me. G5 on the other hand is much more affordable. However, the abandoning of the modular concept means that for future, I might not get necessary modules for it or try the current ones on a newer LG phone.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree the LG G5 is a good choice if one is looking for a phone with a replaceable battery; provided spare battery modules are available.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, but I am looking for an improvement from my Xperia Z2 and this has lower specifications then it. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke