New small cheap phone, build quality > specs

craPkit

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a new phone for a relative, who's had an iPhone 4 (non-S) for the last couple centuries.
As you can imagine, specs are unimportant, except for, maybe, the camera. But nothing overly fancy.
What is important though is the overall quality. Build, internals, everything. This is gonna be the last phone ever. Bonus points for water proofness.

Obviously, I'd say "go, get an iPhone" but that's too expensive these days.
Budget is fixed at 300 euros after taxes, tops. Maybe subtract some 10% central Europe fantasy hardware tax from that. See? No iPhone X.
On the other hand, if I have to go deal hunting to get below that point, fine.

Is there anything you can recommend? It doesn't have to be the most current model, If quality is okay and updates are still coming. (ha-ha)
Anything?

Cheers!

TheMysteriousOne

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Refurbished iPhone 5S :p
It'll be updated for 2 more years at least...and it's still an iPhone so the user doesn't need to adapt to Android
If Android is not a problem, then Moto G4 Play, since G4 or G4 Plus may be too big for someone coming from an iPhone 4

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was going to recommend a budget Android device, but the user above made me change my mind - if this relative is already used to the Apple OS, camera, build quality, etc, maybe it's best to stick with that platform. Good luck!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: New small cheap phone, build quality > specs

Something like the LG Phoenix 2/Escape 2 might work for you.
f14e55943004a47d8a0b2dd1567394e5.jpg

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
A bit out of your price range, but I just got a Kyocera DuraForce Pro. It's a ruggedized phone designed for use on construction sites and stuff. Seems like a reasonably capable phone except it does not support Advanced Messaging (which allows you to send/receive files up to 10 MB, versus 1 MB, and allows for read receipts on messages. A multi-recipient message from an Advanced Messaging phone cannot be received by the DuraForce Pro unless the sender disables Advanced Messaging because the read receipt messes up the format of the message or something).

It has a 13 MP rear camera which is decent, plus a second wide angle camera, in addition to the front facing camera, which you don't see very often. Being ruggedized means it's also waterproof- there are tabs with o-rings to seal the charging and earphone ports, and the camera even has an underwater mode.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Your two options are xperia Z3 compact which should have become cheap by now. Water proof, small-ish size, and good camera just like you need.
Second even cheaper option is Moto E 2nd gen. Not water proof but splash proof, ok camera but atleast it has autofocus and small-ish size as well.
Something like the LG Phoenix 2/Escape 2 might work for you.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/f14e55943004a47d8a0b2dd1567394e5.jpg
Is that supposed to be small. Because doesn't look small to me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Your two options are xperia Z3 compact which should have become cheap by now. Water proof, small-ish size, and good camera just like you need.
Second even cheaper option is Moto E 2nd gen. Not water proof but splash proof, ok camera but atleast it has autofocus and small-ish size as well.

Is that supposed to be small. Because doesn't look small to me.
5" I've seen it in person, it certainly is not "big"

amrovi2014

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I work in construction and find the DuraForce phone excellent for the job. The camera is great and photos are clear, detailed for uploading to the office. This is the phone I recommend to other construction professionals. In addition, the phone takes great videos.