Ranking the best Android Phones

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's my ranking on which Android phones are the top:

1-Galaxy S7/S7 Edge (There are a few premium features such as waterproofing, expandable storage, wireless charging, and the display quality that lead me to award it best phone over the Pixels)
2-Pixel/Pixel XL (The phone that I, personally, want the most due to the software experience and performance)
3-HTC 10 (The forgotten-about but super well-rounded phone. You can find it for $550 on HTC.com)
4-LG V20 (Best big phone and your best bet if you want removable battery. LG still has a ways to go on software experience)
5-Nexus 6P (Still a great phone with fast updates and you can find it for a good price)
6-OnePlus 3 (Best value of any phone and is pretty well-rounded)
7-Moto Z/Z Force (Best implementation of modularity, but Moto needs to work on its cameras)
8-Moto Z Play (Another high-quality phone for a good price, but not as good camera or specs as OnePlus 3)
9-LG G5 (The hardware's not that great, but you can buy for $500 and that gives you high-end specs and a top camera plus removable battery and expandable storage)
10-Moto G4 Plus (Plasticky design, but great overall experience for a really low price)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do like your list, OP! And I think the placement is well thought-out. I really like that you've included the Nexus 6P in the top part of the list. :)

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I do like your list, OP! And I think the placement is well thought-out. I really like that you've included the Nexus 6P in the top part of the list. :)

Thanks! I was thinking about it in terms of which phone I'd recommend to friends and family. I have a Nexus 6P currently, and am contemplating getting a Pixel XL.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Best under $150-Xiomi Redmi 3S Prime
Unbeatable specs and amazing battery life for great price.

Best under $250- Moto G4 Plus
Amazing camera, stock Android, expandable memory, headphone jack.

Best under $400- Moto Z Play
Everything G4 Plus has and add to that moto mods, Amazing battery life, amazing performance.

Best under $600 - None
Best under $800 - None
Best under $1000-None
Anyone buying a phone above $400 is just throwing money away. Hugely Diminishing returns after $400 kicks in so no recommendations above $400.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Everything G4 Plus has and add to that moto mods, Amazing battery life, amazing performance.

Best under $600 - None
Best under $800 - None
Best under $1000-None
Anyone buying a phone above $400 is just throwing money away. Hugely Diminishing returns after $400 kicks in so no recommendations above $400.

There are 2 reasons to buy premium phones. One is the camera quality and the other is the screen quality. If those things are important to you, then a GS7 is worth the price. I do agree that the performance difference is minimal and only impacts gamers.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
There are 2 reasons to buy premium phones. One is the camera quality and the other is the screen quality. If those things are important to you, then a GS7 is worth the price. I do agree that the performance difference is minimal and only impacts gamers.
You no longer need flagship phones for great camera quality. If you read android central review for moto g4 plus and Moto z play, they praise the camera on both phones and call it amazing.
As for screen quality, i don't know what you mean by that.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
You no longer need flagship phones for great camera quality. If you read android central review for moto g4 plus and Moto z play, they praise the camera on both phones and call it amazing.
As for screen quality, i don't know what you mean by that.

Those cameras are good for the price but are not as good as GS7/Pixel. Also, look at GS7 screen next to a Moto Z Play screen and tell me that there's no difference. Now, those things may not be enough to justify a $300 difference, but there definitely is a difference.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I was thinking about it in terms of which phone I'd recommend to friends and family. I have a Nexus 6P currently, and am contemplating getting a Pixel XL.

You're welcome! What is your opinion on the 6P? I would like to have one but I know support for the 6P will be ending soon since it's been out for a while... But I'd still like one. What are your thoughts on the phone now?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Why does the HTC 10 have to be so high on your list. I wanted that pho e so bad and was hoping I could see someone say something bad about it, or come to your list and. It see it in the top 10 let alone your top 5. I couldn't get it through T-Mobile because they don't carry it anymore. The only I option I had was to buy it through the HTC website but I'm on the Jump! Program so it wouldn't have made financial sense. Maybe one day :(. But I do have the G5 and so far it's been wonderful. The wide angle camera has become super useful for work. I'm a car salesman so taking pictures of the cars to send to clients and post on social media is important. This phone is nearly perfect for me.

Anyway, rant over.

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Best under $600 - None
Best under $800 - None
Best under $1000-None

This depends a great deal on how you buy a phone! I agree with you, no phone is worth over $500. However, right now at Verizon, if you are trading in a decent phone in good working order, the Pixel, Galaxy S7, and iPhone 7 are all just north of $350. Its hard to make the argument for a MotoZ play if you can have the Pixel for less money. And I know this is how carriers keep you hooked, I'm just saying most people buy through carriers, and when you do, the circumstances can be very different.

Also, you get a rebate on line access when you finance a phone through them. So you are talking dropping $300 on a Moto G Plus and paying $40 a month, or $369 on a Pixel and paying $15 a month. Big difference.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This depends a great deal on how you buy a phone! I agree with you, no phone is worth over $500. However, right now at Verizon, if you are trading in a decent phone in good working order, the Pixel, Galaxy S7, and iPhone 7 are all just north of $350. Its hard to make the argument for a MotoZ play if you can have the Pixel for less money. And I know this is how carriers keep you hooked, I'm just saying most people buy through carriers, and when you do, the circumstances can be very different.

Also, you get a rebate on line access when you finance a phone through them. So you are talking dropping $300 on a Moto G Plus and paying $40 a month, or $369 on a Pixel and paying $15 a month. Big difference.
So just buy unlocked. I don't know why people just don't buy unlocked phones. No carrier bloat, faster updates, freedom to use any sim, etc. You pay more with carrier locked phones than with unlocked and also get inferior experience.