Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock

Default Carrier response to rooted phones

I'm not sure if anyone has read it yet but p3droid has put up an article on mydroidworld about carriers response to the rooted phones. It's quite honestly terrifying. If you haven't already read it please do. Post your thoughts below.

Mods and admin: sorry if I'm not allowed to post this. I wasn't sure and wanted to hear some responses. If it's not allowed i will understand if it's removed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Droid hungry; 04-02-2011 at 07:32 PM.

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

It's ok buddy, were all getting into this tonight...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...t-out-bag.html
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    stock

I fear it is going to get rough. And very soon too.

Relax, it seems like it cannot get any worse then what apple is doing with their devices. There are always going to be loop holes for everything.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I read it and on the one hand, I'm not surprised, and then I think about it and I'm livid.

I understand where a carrier might have issues with radio tweaks because there are FCC issues involved, but to lock down everything and deactivate root users is flat wrong.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

All that is is his opinion people freak out about everything check out other forums they have been discussed how verizon cant tell if you are rooted or not.

Tethering doesn't work on GB on the DX?
    Works fine (free) on my GB'd evo.
    And I don't believe Sprint is doing this, so this seems like an att and verizon issue esp. with the tethering problems and throttling.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    stock

I can also understand blocking people from the radio stuff because it messes with their towers. But I bought the phone I should be able to do what I want with It even if I possibly brick it.

Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Anyone who believes any post that states they cannot do this is being blind.

Think of all the things we weren't supposed to be able to do with our phones, yet devs have found a way to do it. Interactions between various apps that had never before been thought of have created methods that are still being explored. Simple usage patters are changed with some tweaks, and that alone can identify a rooted user in some cases.

There is so much lurking under the hood of Android, it is foolish to think there is no way for the carriers to do this.

True, there is alot of capabilities hiding in our Android devices. But there are also reasons why the carreirs, develpors, manufacturers do not want us to be able to do some of these things. When we root our devices, it opens it up and allows us to do pretty much anything we want with it. But it also opens it up that we can screw it up pretty bad and ruin the devices.

I am all for rooting devices and whatnot, I rooted my captivate when i had it, and i have jailbroken maybe about 20+ iphones before too. But just because we can do this and are able to, doesnt mean that they should allow us to. But thats just my two cents.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

It figures that as soon as I start using CM7 something like this happens. Yes tethering without paying for it is illegal, but rooting and running a custom ROM is not and I shouldn't be punished for doing so. The only reason I rooted at all is because I don't like HTC Sense (I know, if I don't like Sense I shouldn't have bought a Sense phone. The thing is I received my HTC Droid Incredible as a gift last Christmas so I didn't get to choose my phone or my carrier) and I wanted to run a AOSP ROM. I made legal changes to my legal device. Void my warranty, that's perfectly understandable. It's also understandable if Verizon doesn't want me updating my radio as it messes with they're towers. But rooting is legal, running a custom ROM is legal, and if I brick my device that's my own fault. That is a risk I willingly and knowingly took. I'm not going to go running back to unrooted stock yet, but I really don't like where this is going. At all. Openness and customization is what drew me to Android in the first place. Without that there isn't a lot keeping me from switching over to Windows Phone or the iPhone.
    Last edited by Dark Wizard Matoya; 04-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wizard Matoya View Post
    It figures that as soon as I start using CM7 something like this happens. Yes tethering without paying for it is illegal, but rooting and running a custom ROM is not and I shouldn't be punished for doing so. The only reason I rooted at all is because I don't like HTC Sense (I know, if I don't like Sense I shouldn't have bought a Sense phone. The thing is I received my HTC Droid Incredible as a gift last Christmas so I didn't get to choose my phone or my carrier) and I wanted to run a AOSP ROM. I made legal changes to my legal device. Void my warranty, that's perfectly understandable. It's also understandable if Verizon doesn't want me updating my radio as it messes with they're towers. But rooting is legal, running a custom ROM is legal, and if I brick my device that's my own fault. That is a risk I willingly and knowingly took. I'm not going to go running back to unrooted stock yet, but I really don't like where this is going. At all. Openness and customization is what drew me to Android in the first place. Without that there isn't a lot keeping me from switching over to Windows Phone or the iPhone.
    +1 except the iphone part. Lol

Last edited by Droid hungry; 04-05-2011 at 01:23 AM.

If they stop your service and break your contract on the phone you own:

I suggest you immediately file small claims and serve the agent for process for Verizon wireless (switch providers <-sue for this amount):

if your in California the agent for service is (check with your secretary :

VERIZON WIRELESS (VAW) LLC
    Entity Number: 199922910069
    Date Filed: 08/16/1999
    Jurisdiction: DELAWARE
    Entity Address: ONE VERIZON WAY
    Entity City, State, Zip: BASKING RIDGE NJ 07920
    Agent for Service of Process: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM (C0168406)
    Agent Address: *
    Agent City, State, Zip: *

$40 for filing and certified letter (court will mail).

It says unlimited data on my contract, and I bought my phone. the verizon tethering app is big a scam.

Even if I lose in court, Verizon will have to pay to have someone in court, or let the case go undefended on their end where the judge just hears my side, I'll be screen-shotting the unlimited data, and bringing in my phone. I'll go after financial compensation against them.

there is no way if 1,000 people all did this, more the people that do the worse for verizon.

my line of work I go after a few bonding insurance companies, they always settle than go to court. It would cost them hundreds of dollars in travel expenses, and lots of manpower, and they still could easily lose in court when I start citing the california codes they have to defend, different issue but same process I'd use against verizon.

I want to know who says tethering without paying is illegal? you pay $30 for unlimited data right? what software you use for that data is the battle, and judges are pretty amazing when you get in there and bring up some facts.

ISP's don't charge an extra $20 a month to what browser or software you use to access the net. verizon sells the pipe. they can't limit the software on "your" phone! microsoft has been sued over the internet explorer bundled with windows, very similar issue.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by k2caliguy View Post
    If they stop your service and break your contract on the phone you own:

I suggest you immediately file small claims and serve the agent for process for Verizon wireless (switch providers <-sue for this amount):

if your in California the agent for service is (check with your secretary :

VERIZON WIRELESS (VAW) LLC
    Entity Number: 199922910069
    Date Filed: 08/16/1999
    Jurisdiction: DELAWARE
    Entity Address: ONE VERIZON WAY
    Entity City, State, Zip: BASKING RIDGE NJ 07920
    Agent for Service of Process: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM (C0168406)
    Agent Address: *
    Agent City, State, Zip: *

$40 for filing and certified letter (court will mail).

It says unlimited data on my contract, and I bought my phone. the verizon tethering app is big a scam.

Even if I lose in court, Verizon will have to pay to have someone in court, or let the case go undefended on their end where the judge just hears my side, I'll be screen-shotting the unlimited data, and bringing in my phone. I'll go after financial compensation against them.

there is no way if 1,000 people all did this, more the people that do the worse for verizon.

my line of work I go after a few bonding insurance companies, they always settle than go to court. It would cost them hundreds of dollars in travel expenses, and lots of manpower, and they still could easily lose in court when I start citing the california codes they have to defend, different issue but same process I'd use against verizon.

I want to know who says tethering without paying is illegal? you pay $30 for unlimited data right? what software you use for that data is the battle, and judges are pretty amazing when you get in there and bring up some facts.

ISP's don't charge an extra $20 a month to what browser or software you use to access the net. verizon sells the pipe. they can't limit the software on "your" phone! microsoft has been sued over the internet explorer bundled with windows, very similar issue.
    You bring up some valid points! I am the wishy washy guy who listens to arguments for side "A" and then agree with them. I then hear arguments for side "B" and agree with there stance........................long sigh!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    stock

That is a good point. It's our data we should be able to use it how we want to.

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

exactly as the post above mine states, Tethering without paying, who can say it isn't legal? Its programmed in most every phone now by GOOGLE, the CARRIER is the one who determines how its run... i know on Sprint, it would say that the data call could not be completed not rooted, but now I have my Optimus rooted, I can tether all day long...

Not to say I do, but I pay 69.99 a month for 450 minutes (which i use.... maybe 15 all month?) unlimited texts, UNLIMITED DATA.

Does it matter if it is legal if it violates the contract?
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Show me where in MY contract it says that I cannot use my current 3G network to be distributed to other devices.... I don't remember seeing such a clause.

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    Show me where in MY contract it says that I cannot use my current 3G network to be distributed to other devices.... I don't remember seeing such a clause.
    Now how can I do that when I do not know who your carrier is?

I do know that mine is Virgin and it is in the Terms:

Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Services

If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, and similar activities. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your mobile phone or device regardless of who initiates the activity. You may not use the data service: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) with "auto-responders", "cancel-bots", or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of traffic, or which disrupt user groups or email use by others; (4) for tethering your mobile phone to a personal computer or other hardware; (5) to send "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); or (6) for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either our wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate without notice any misuse of our network or violation of these Terms of Service.
    I agreed to the terms when I got my service, so if I violate it and they terminate me, I do not see that I have any recourse.

ETA: I just noticed who your carrier is...Did you read the Terms?
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Yes, I have read the terms, and the terms upon my latest contract renewal never mentioned a thing about tethering.

However, in the updated Terms of Service (which were not in effect when I signed my contract) I've noticed this clause: (which has apparently been added at the end of the whole ToS)

(vi) for an activity that connects any device to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage);
    mind you, I do keep all my paperwork handy, so it wont fall on me until after I have to renew
    Last edited by tirith; 04-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.

It also specifies that you can't alter your device.

(g) modifies your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (h)
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

But, is rooting your phone modifying it in any way? Technically, it has been considered legal....

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
    It also specifies that you can't alter your device.

(g) modifies your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (h)
    The problem I have with that clause is that it's really, really vague. If I download ADW Launcher to my unrooted Droid Incredible and use it instead of the stock Sense launcher that could be seen as modifying the device from it's manufacturer's specifications. Would using ADW Launcher then break my contract? You don't need to root to modify your phone from the manufacturer 's specifications. Some things you can do to modify an unrooted phone include but are not limited to...

-Using an alternate launcher like ADW or Launcher Pro.
    -Using an alternate lock screen like Widget Locker.
    -Using a non OEM extended battery.
    -Using an alternate keyboard, dialer, email or SMS program.
    -Allowing your phone to download and install apps from unknown sousces so you can use the Amazon app store.

Do doing any of these things break contract?

Besides, the courts have said that rooting is legal. It's my device, I should be able to do whatever I want with it and to it. If I end up bricking my device or damaging it in any way then it's purely my fault. I knowingly and willingly took that risk, so Google and the carriers need to back off.
    Last edited by Dark Wizard Matoya; 04-05-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling errors.

The problem I have with that clause is that it's really, really vague.
    I am sure their lawyers worked long and hard on that sentence--it is deliberately vague to cover every contingency
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Not like rooting really does THAT much on the network side of the spectrum, we arent adding 4G to our non 4G phones...

But yes, when I originally got in on the Android train, I purchased a G1 for full price, not the with contract price because I only had been with tmo a couple months... I had put @home and numerous other apps on it to alter the look of my G1, and basically rooting it, and running it with a custom firmware I view as no different than taking my laptop, destroying windows and putting Ubuntu on it...

Also considering Android is open source, means that modification is possible, and welcomed

ONE MORE POINT: Altering my device could be something as simple as buying a non-OEM Extended Battery, or as was done with a lot of phones as of old, such as the old nextels, case-swapping. We have more potential to ruin our phones and need to buy new ones from the carrier/manufacturer if we allow more people to root them (well at least the uninformed ones are REALLY good at bricking them)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast